• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need Help with Speaker Static - New Setup Connection and Settings

Nortwoods

Hi All,

I'm new here and just technical enough to find a few things on my own or follow instructions.

I have a Focusrite Scarlett Solo 3rd Gen and a Fifine K668 Dynamic Cardioid microphone (XLR connected).

I've connected a pair of Edifier G2000 speakers that are parallel, the left and right speaker are hard wired together.
The back of the right speaker has 3.35 mm AUX IN and SUB OUT ports. Upon recommendation from Focusrite, I connected a 3.5mm 1/8" TRS (balanced) to Dual 6.35mm 1/4* TS Mono (unbalanced) Breakout Cable Y Splitter Stereo Cord Adapter. The 3.35 mm is plugged into the AUX IN on the back of the right speaker and the dual 1/4" are into the back of the Scarlett.

Does anyone have advice on how to get rid of static from speakers? It was clear at one point, but now I can't get rid of it. Microphone seems to work and is fairly clear. For the speakers, I think that something in sample rate, buffer rate settings might be off, or, maybe the dual 1/4" to the back of the Scarlett need to be balanced connections? Any ideas or advice is appreciated.

I'm also connected to DAW.

Speedskater

Major Contributor
Can you take all your stuff to a fiends house in a different neighborhood?
also at home:
Try running with a few components as possible. i.e. one speaker, one input.

OP
N

Nortwoods

Hi Speedskater,
It would be nearly impossible and take several days to move my studio elsewhere. I just need to figure out the speaker cable connections to the Focusrite and PC settings for Input, output, buffer and sample rates. It was very clear sound and recording until this static buzz occurred, likely from a setting change by accident. Maybe taking one component at a time will help, but ultimately they all need to be working together. I'm open to recommendations for connections and settings. Thanks.

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
You initially, and in the title, describe the sound as "static". But later as a buzz. These are different sounds.

Static is often caused by picking up transient energy from mains sources such as a refrigerator turning on and off or something radio based. It can be randomly quiet crackling, spitting or splats, thumps and bangs.

Buzzing is continuous, often lower frequency humming, but distorted with harmonics.

The two sounds tend to be caused by different failure mechanisms.

OP
N

Nortwoods

I spoke with a Tech from Focusrite a few days ago who helped configure my settings for Focusrite solo, parallel speakers and microphone. It was a very quick process and I don't know what those settings were. Everything (mic, speakers, DAW) was running smoothly and with clarity. I must have made an adjustment to settings that changed things. I'm trying to find the right settings for my Sound Input and Output, and any other setting adjustments that are required (devices, buffer and sample rate, etc)

OP
N

Nortwoods

Ok, I have the settings figured out, microphone and speakers are operational. Still getting static (not buzzing) that initially wasn't there before.

Top Bottom