• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Worth upgrading from Magni 2 + Modi 2 to the 3 / heresy??

Xeperiset

I currently have the Magni 2 and Modi 2 amp + dac combo
Using Hifiman He400i and MrSpeakers Alpha Dogs headphones

I also have Sony SSCS5 Speakers and a Micca Origain amp for them

Is it worth upgrading from the modi 2 and magni 2 to the 3 and heresy?
Will there be significant audible difference?
Or is it more worth upgrading something else along the chain?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Modi 2 performance appears to be rather source dependent.
The Modi3 does better.

Perhaps you could only replace the Modi 2 or ensure you have a good USB signal going into the Modi 2.

About audible differences... When you just audition or buy it chances are you will hear an improvement.
When compared level matched chances are you won't hear any differences (except maybe with a crappy USB source)

I would call changing the set just another side-grade but undoubtably, measurable the Modi-3/Heresy combo will certainly be an improvement.

OP
X

Xeperiset

How can I tell if the signal is bad? I don't notice any buzzing or interference. The cable is a really generic usb B cable.

Is there any DAC/Amp or combo that you recommend as an upgrade that is in the $200-350 price range for both combined? Anything I see is much over that.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
You can probably only tell by doing measurements with your setup.

Do you need to change what you have ? I mean you won't be short of output power.
Maybe you need higher sample rates or different inputs or want a display.
Usually extra filters, displays, higher sample rates or DSD support, size and functionality drives the price up. Not so much the basic performance quality.

The Magni 2 isn't a poor performing amp but technically is trumped by the Magni 3+ and Heresy.
The Modi-2 is known to have more possible (USB) issues and poorer performance than modi-3.

I personally don't think it will lead to an improved sound quality when compared level matched, side by side but will perform better on the testbench.
I am also sure there are people who will say there is a (definite) improvement to be heard. I can't speak out of personal experience with both setups . Don't have any Schiit anyway, not because it isn't good or not, I just have no need for it so haven't bought any.

Last edited:
OP
X

Xeperiset

I'm wondering what the actual point is if the modi 3 measures better but the difference is inaudible. I guess just to say you have something more optimal?

Would there be a point to use SPDIF instead of the USB besides possible interference?

What do you personally use? Just wondering.

Eetu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
There's probably only a small audible improvement but if the thought that you're 'missing' out on something is nagging you I'd suggest you upgrade to 3 & Heresy. Then you have 'solved' / end-game dac, headphone amp & pre amp for very little money considering you can sell the 2's. Then you can focus on the speakers, headphones and power amp if/when you feel like upgrading.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
What do you personally use? Just wondering.

I don't use computers for actual listening to music but simple FiiO DAPs + dedicated amps.
For measuring and some other purposes I have: EMU0204, UMC202HD, UMC204HD don't need more functionality.
These I consider audibly transparent (just like Modi-3 is)
All cheap and/or secondhand.
Headphone amps is all own design and home made (not commercially available).
Had a Chord DAC for a while (extended loan) but it did not sound better or different when level matched and blind tested.

Audible nirvana is easily reached for me and what I have does not sound worse or better than the many higher end systems I heard (used to work in this business) but for a fraction of the costs.
Speakers + listening system (X.O, amps) is all own design and build so not after any commercial designs.
Speakers and amps (1kW in total) were more expensive to build.
All in the days before the even Euro existed.
I am not bothered anymore by upgraditis, I have heard too many stuff over the years.

Last edited:

twsecrest

I currently have the Magni 2 and Modi 2 amp + dac combo
Using Hifiman He400i and MrSpeakers Alpha Dogs headphones
I also have Sony SSCS5 Speakers and a Micca Origain amp for them
Is it worth upgrading from the modi 2 and magni 2 to the 3 and heresy?
Will there be significant audible difference?
Or is it more worth upgrading something else along the chain?
I really doubt it's worthwhile to replace the Modi 2/Magni 2 with the Modi 3/Magni 3.
I would say to save up, for something like the Topping DX7s (and balanced headphone cables).
https://drop.com/buy/topping-dx7s

OP
X

Xeperiset

There's probably only a small audible improvement but if the thought that you're 'missing' out on something is nagging you I'd suggest you upgrade to 3 & Heresy. Then you have 'solved' / end-game dac, headphone amp & pre amp for very little money considering you can sell the 2's. Then you can focus on the speakers, headphones and power amp if/when you feel like upgrading.

I still need a solution for my TV (just moved and don't have any audio equipment for it)
Should I keep the modi 2 for that maybe or just get a receiver that combines everything for the tv + speakers?

I don't use computers for actual listening to music but simple FiiO DAPs + dedicated amps.
For measuring and some other purposes I have: EMU0204, UMC202HD, UMC204HD don't need more functionality.
These I consider audibly transparent (just like Modi-3 is)
All cheap and/or secondhand.
Headphone amps is all own design and home made (not commercially available).
Had a Chord DAC for a while (extended loan) but it did not sound better or different when level matched and blind tested.

Audible nirvana is easily reached for me and what I have does not sound worse or better than the many higher end systems I heard (used to work in this business) but for a fraction of the costs.
Speakers + listening system (X.O, amps) is all own design and build so not after any commercial designs.
Speakers and amps (1kW in total) were more expensive to build.
All in the days before the even Euro existed.
I am not bothered anymore by upgraditis, I have heard too many stuff over the years.

Funny, I also have the UMC202HD. It sounds similar to the modi + magni pretty much.
That's interesting. Had any fun discussions with audiophiles on this matter over the years? That must upset them.
Which headphones do you use?

I got cheap sony bookshelf speakers and a $100 speaker amp/dac for my speaker setup. I mostly listen on headphones. I guess the most logical next step would be to upgrade headphones or speakers?
I might still get the modi3/magni3 and sell my 2s out of curiosity.

I really doubt it's worthwhile to replace the Modi 2/Magni 2 with the Modi 3/Magni 3.
I would say to save up, for something like the Topping DX7s (and balanced headphone cables).
https://drop.com/buy/topping-dx7s

Does Balanced mean neutral / reference sound in this context?

Eetu

Forum Donor
I still need a solution for my TV (just moved and don't have any audio equipment for it)
Should I keep the modi 2 for that maybe or just get a receiver that combines everything for the tv + speakers?

Yeah, I think it should work fine, assuming you have the Uber version with toslink & spdif inputs :)

twsecrest

Does Balanced mean neutral / reference sound in this context?
Balanced headphones uses a 4 point connection (XLR or TRRS), to the headphone amplifier.
A normal headphone uses a 3 point connection (TRS).

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Had any fun discussions with audiophiles on this matter over the years? That must upset them.
Which headphones do you use?

I usually do not engage in arguments with audiophiles unless they do this here. They just can't help it like to believe they have special hearing abilities.
I stopped worrying about it and just say... uh huh ... these days. You can't convince someone that is convinced he is right.

Mostly use modified DT1770 (closed), DT1350 (different pads and dedicated EQ/amp) for portable duty outside and HD800 (with EQ'ed dedicated amp). Sometimes modified X2HR, or a prototype headphone that sadly never materialized on the market, modified HD58X or DT1990.
In rare cases a prototype Superlux that did became a product but totally screwed it up.
Have other headphones as well, Edition XX, K702, and quite a few others in their boxes.

OP
X

Xeperiset

Balanced headphones uses a 4 point connection (XLR or TRRS), to the headphone amplifier.
A normal headphone uses a 3 point connection (TRS).
Oh. So that's only something I could get if I get a more advanced amp, since converting the XLR to 1/4" would be pointless right?

I usually do not engage in arguments with audiophiles unless they do this here. They just can't help it like to believe they have special hearing abilities.
I stopped worrying about it and just say... uh huh ... these days. You can't convince someone that is convinced he is right.

Mostly use modified DT1770 (closed), DT1350 (different pads and dedicated EQ/amp) for portable duty outside and HD800 (with EQ'ed dedicated amp). Sometimes modified X2HR, or a prototype headphone that sadly never materialized on the market, modified HD58X or DT1990.
In rare cases a prototype Superlux that did became a product but totally screwed it up.
Have other headphones as well, Edition XX, K702, and quite a few others in their boxes.

Kinda unrelated to the original topic but are there any open headphones you recommend as an upgrade to the He400i? I originally got them because I was looking for something neutral and open (and comfortable) like the HD600 but newer (and less ugly). However their build quality is lacking. I read people recommend the Sundara but there's still complaints about build quality. Anything in a similar price range you recommend?

Also what do you think of those HD58Xs? They seem cheap

twsecrest

Oh. So that's only something I could get if I get a more advanced amp,
since converting the XLR to 1/4" would be pointless right?
Also what do you think of those HD58Xs? They seem cheap
Connecting an XLR jack output to the headphones TRS connection, yea, seems pointless.
But if your headphone has wires connected to each cup and each cup uses a connection jack, then you can get a balanced cable for those headphones.
The HD58X is not the most solidly built headphone, but it's still a good value for it's price, I wear my HD58X every day.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Why not Topping E30+L30 when they release the latter? Seem to be the best buy in this price category today.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
My thoughts are that there won't be a difference in sound between the O2 and Heresy.
Heresy will have a few dB more headroom when playing very, very loud.

The Centrance DACport is a good dongle when used as a DAC into an amp.
Technically the Modi3 is the better performer, not necesarilly audible better.

Reactions: PSO

solderdude

Grand Contributor
That's basically what audibility levels are all about. Below a certain point any technical improvements do not lead to better sound quality when tested blind. As soon as it becomes sighted all bets are off. Of course there are those that want technical excellence regardless if it is audible better.
Piece of mind also is a powerful factor.

Reactions: PSO
Top Bottom