• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Worst Album In your Collection That You Paid For, IYHO.

Wombat

Master Contributor
My one:

81qAlTv-n1L__SS500_.jpg

Samples.

Much overpriced @ 20 cents from a charity store. An insult to blues.

Last edited:

Fackernarmee

1571210192927.png

Paid full price for this without listening to it. Big mistake. I like Mike Oldfield's music generally, but not this one.

Daverz

Major Contributor
510pBy8QVqL.jpg

Uta Lemper Sings Kurt Weill. I can't stand her mannerisms, but I can't bear to dump the CD on anyone else. Stick with Teresa Stratas for Weill.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
The bargain-bin-different-issue of this:

1571249450792.png

Along with a varied selection of other crap bought from Circuit City and Best Buy bargain bins (visits on the way home from work) based on the cover art and info available there.

I'll admit there were a few real gems there, so the risk was worth it, overall.

This one introduced me to some music by Hermeto Pascoal, for instance.

1571249780618.png

Here's the Hermeto tune that caught my ear on that release, and led to a collection..

Last edited:

Cosmik

Major Contributor
Beck Midnite Vultures.

HammerSandwich

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Musically? Morton Downey, Jr. Sings, though that's probably intentional. When found in the $1 bin, it's an essential purchase for weirdos. And, no, I haven't paid for anything by the The Shaggs.

Worst recording of good music? Hmmm... Maybe Rhino's Jerry Lee Lewis Live at the Star Club? If you've never heard this, listen before you read reviews. And try to find the Bear Family.

Eirikur

Jello Biafra with No Means No - The Sky Is Falling And I Want My Mommy
Bought it on the strength of Biafra (of Dead Kennedys 'fame').
I don't think ever I managed through completely, not even once. Give it a listen and tell me what you think!

Last edited:

KSTR

Major Contributor
Lenny Kravitz "One Night in Tokyo" 2CD. I wasn't aware it's an amateur bootleg, it looked official and well-made... but it's not, most lousy sound quality I've ever encountered, even in bootleg territory.

@Eirikur, I generally enjoy NoMeansNo but this album is definitely not their best one....

graz_lag

Major Contributor
Simply disgusting ...
2012 digital remaster of this classic 1966 studio album from the beloved '60s Pop band featuring both the mono and stereo mix of the album.
Digitally remastered by Mark Linett.
$13,50 CD from Amazon ...

1571256735057.png

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Audio buddy bought this:

Golden Throats: The Great Celebrity Sing Off[6]

"Proud Mary" - Leonard Nimoy
"It Ain't Me, Babe" - Sebastian Cabot
"Blowin' in the Wind" - Eddie Albert
"Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" - William Shatner
"A Whiter Shade of Pale" - Noel Harrison
"I Can See for Miles" - Frankie Randall
"Try a Little Tenderness" - Jack Webb
"Twist and Shout" - Mae West
"House of the Rising Sun" - Andy Griffith
"Mr. Tambourine Man" - William Shatner
"You Are the Sunshine of My Life" - Jim Nabors
"Like a Rolling Stone" - Sebastian Cabot
"White Room" - Joel Grey
"If I Had a Hammer" - Leonard Nimoy

Or maybe he didn't have to buy it.

digicidal

Major Contributor
I love William Shatner's rendition of Mr. Tambourine Man! It's pure comedy gold IMO.
For me it's this nightmare, which was $5 overpriced (at $4) in the used record store:
1571301395043.png

Honestly, I have no excuses and I felt too embarrassed to even trade it in... so it sits there never being listened to, and always laughing at my distress. Along with this equally poor choice:
1571301416865.png

I bought it just on the cover, from the discount bin (which cured me of that bad habit completely). I couldn't even finish the first track. My wife still brings it up as irrefutable proof of my stupidity.

OP
Wombat

Wombat

Master Contributor
Audio buddy bought this:

Golden Throats: The Great Celebrity Sing Off[6]

"Proud Mary" - Leonard Nimoy
"It Ain't Me, Babe" - Sebastian Cabot
"Blowin' in the Wind" - Eddie Albert
"Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" - William Shatner
"A Whiter Shade of Pale" - Noel Harrison
"I Can See for Miles" - Frankie Randall
"Try a Little Tenderness" - Jack Webb
"Twist and Shout" - Mae West
"House of the Rising Sun" - Andy Griffith
"Mr. Tambourine Man" - William Shatner
"You Are the Sunshine of My Life" - Jim Nabors
"Like a Rolling Stone" - Sebastian Cabot
"White Room" - Joel Grey
"If I Had a Hammer" - Leonard Nimoy

Or maybe he didn't have to buy it.

A match for Golden Ears.

OP
Wombat

Wombat

Master Contributor
I love William Shatner's rendition of Mr. Tambourine Man! It's pure comedy gold IMO.
For me it's this nightmare, which was $5 overpriced (at $4) in the used record store:
View attachment 36187Testimony
Honestly, I have no excuses and I felt too embarrassed to even trade it in... so it sits there never being listened to, and always laughing at my distress. Along with this equally poor choice:
View attachment 36188
I bought it just on the cover, from the discount bin (which cured me of that bad habit completely). I couldn't even finish the first track. My wife still brings it up as irrefutable proof of my stupidity.

A pity Zappa's testimony didn't prevent defacing of cover art with PMRC advisory stickers. Testimony

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
A pity Zappa's testimony didn't prevent defacing of cover art with PMRC advisory stickers.

He rolled his own.

"You Want a Sticker? I'll Give You a Sticker!

Because of a dispute with MCA (Musicians' Cemetery of America) Records, which had contracted to distribute Barking Pumpkin Records in 1983, I invented MY OWN STICKER.

MCA planned to release Thing-Fish. The deal was done -- they were up to the test-pressing stage. A woman in the 'quality control department' of their pressing plant listened to my album and became quite upset. Because she was offended, MCA backed out of the deal. So in 1984 I prepared this little item:"

1571308800028.png

Last edited:

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Simply disgusting ...
2012 digital remaster of this classic 1966 studio album from the beloved '60s Pop band featuring both the mono and stereo mix of the album.
Digitally remastered by Mark Linett.
$13,50 CD from Amazon ...

View attachment 36150
How can PS be disgusting? I mean, even the Duophonic for Stereo Phonographs couldn't destroy Brian's creation. Check out the box set with the multiple takes, instrumentals and vocals. The guy was creating the most amazing multitrack sound, then mixing it down to mono so it would sound good on a car radio.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is definitely the worst in my collection. But you get 40+ minutes of music per side, so the portions are large.

wagner.jpg

Top Bottom