• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Worst Album In your Collection That You Paid For, IYHO.

Fregly

Audio buddy bought this:

Golden Throats: The Great Celebrity Sing Off[6]

"Proud Mary" - Leonard Nimoy
"It Ain't Me, Babe" - Sebastian Cabot
"Blowin' in the Wind" - Eddie Albert
"Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" - William Shatner
"A Whiter Shade of Pale" - Noel Harrison
"I Can See for Miles" - Frankie Randall
"Try a Little Tenderness" - Jack Webb
"Twist and Shout" - Mae West
"House of the Rising Sun" - Andy Griffith
"Mr. Tamebourine Man" - William Shatner
"You Are the Sunshine of My Life" - Jim Nabors
"Like a Rolling Stone" - Sebastian Cabot
"White Room" - Joel Grey
"If I Had a Hammer" - Leonard Nimoy

Or maybe he didn't have to buy it.
This comes under the category so bad it's good. In fact if I ever go again to a high end audio show I'll bring it as my demo disc. "Wow, great system. Shatner sounds like he's right here!"

samshaver

For me, it would have to be "Duke Lion Fights The Terror!!" by Big Dumb Face (a side project from Limp Bizkit’s guitarist Wes Borland)

1571320095375.png

Fairly confident that this is the only album that I have purchased and not been able listen to it in its entirety at least once.

music.apple.com/1443257166

music.amazon.com/albums/B000WLLUPG

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor
He rolled his own.

"You Want a Sticker? I'll Give You a Sticker!

Because of a dispute with MCA (Musicians' Cemetery of America) Records, which had contracted to distribute Barking Pumpkin Records in 1983, I invented MY OWN STICKER.

MCA planned to release Thing-Fish. The deal was done -- they were up to the test-pressing stage. A woman in the 'quality control department' of their pressing plant listened to my album and became quite upset. Because she was offended, MCA backed out of the deal. So in 1984 I prepared this little item:"

View attachment 36189

Great sticker.

I enjoyed ELO's album "Secret Messages" because of its slam to the religious wackos who had complained about "Face the Music".

MRC01

Major Contributor
Sonically, the worst album I ever heard was Todd Rundgren's A Wizard, a True Star. It is so tinny and harsh sounding it's actually painful to listen to even at low volumes. That was in the 1980s, so I wonder whether it was recorded with pre-emphasis and somehow not flagged or decoded properly.

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
This comes under the category so bad it's good. In fact if I ever go again to a high end audio show I'll bring it as my demo disc. "Wow, great system. Shatner sounds like he's right here!"

LOL, I have Shatner's full LP and two Nimoy LP's but only paid for the Shatner one. You need to check out Nimoy's photography (all of it) for a surprise.

graz_lag

Major Contributor
How can PS be disgusting? I mean, even the Duophonic for Stereo Phonographs couldn't destroy Brian's creation. Check out the box set with the multiple takes, instrumentals and vocals. The guy was creating the most amazing multitrack sound, then mixing it down to mono so it would sound good on a car radio.

I see what you mean and I agree. My comment was related to that particular CD release: it renders a sound that is tooooo muuuuch digital to me.
Then I bought the 24/192 version from HDtracks ($18), this offers a very pleasant rendering, not digital at all. To my ears, of course!

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor
Bette Midler: Mud Will Be Flung Tonight
I expected music ...

Let me guess... it comes on Bluray. Bette is mud wrestling.

Midler's musical ability was overrated. She was more like a tv personality that could carry a tune, and that's about it.

Put her on stage with Aretha or Annie Lennox and she'd have a hard time keeping up on the background vocals. Those gals had range.

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
My one:

Much overpriced @ 20 cents from a charity store. An insult to blues.

I don't have album art for mine, but my first cassette player came with some bundled cassette tapes. All of them were such a garbage. The idea was to include empty tapes so I can record the music I love, not this premeditated nonsense. If u still wanna know what it was - it was Russian Bard music. Not for everyone for sure. In my mind it is not music at all, but poetry with 3 accords.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Some Italian knock-off pressings?

The La Scala Ring eventually came out on Japanese SACDs.
No. The Murray Hill label--a budget outfit (long gone) with a Park Ave address. Likely just rented a small office in the building. Maybe shared it with the janitorial staff. Evidently associated with Random House. I bought it at a college bookstore for a few dollars. I'd buy anything, back then.

This particular Ring is the 1950 La Scala. The only way to listen to it (which I have, a couple of times) is to imagine you are hearing an overseas broadcase on a portable short wave radio.

Certainkindoffool

Forum Donor
When I was about 13 I spent a few hours in a recording studio in the same building as a family friends animation studio. The sound engineer had just had a new system installed and had cranked it up to show it off.

I had never heard anything so wonderful in my life. It was just so clean and visceral - I immediately ran out and bought the album he was playing. The Spin Doctors - Pocket Full of Kryptonite.

Got home and it was terrible. Maybe not the worst album I own. But, I've hated it ever since. Not the least because it started me on a journey that has wasted a lot(for me) of money. Kept it around ever since as a reminder of how dumb I can be.

digicidal

Major Contributor
For me, it would have to be "Duke Lion Fights The Terror!!" by Big Dumb Face (a side project from Limp Bizkit’s guitarist Wes Borland)

View attachment 36200

Fairly confident that this is the only album that I have purchased and not been able listen to it in its entirety at least once.

music.apple.com/1443257166

music.amazon.com/albums/B000WLLUPG

Although I have listened to it (in it's entirety) multiple times... I cannot say that about anything Limp Bizkit has ever released. ;) Different strokes...

Almost exactly the opposite (for me) is Faith No More and Mr. Bungle... I've tried multiple times due to my love of FNM... but the best I can do with the latter is 2-3 tracks, and I've got to really be in the mood to even get that far.

ripmixburn

Forum Donor
Life_Cover.jpg
Easy. I can’t even get through it. John Mellencamp’s Life, Death, Love and Freedom produced by T-Bone Burnett. Only purchased because of the clever audio-only 24/96 format which was released on a plain DVD that would play in any DVD player. Strangely marketed with a forgettable, and un-google-able, name.

From Wikipedia: it was the first album release to utilize the ΧΟΔΕ (CODE) process. T-Bone Burnett worked with engineers to develop CODE, a proprietary audio technology that creates high-definition audio files. The CODE version of "Life, Death, Love and Freedom" is on a DVD that was packaged along with the standard CD version of the album.

Last edited:

Robin L

Master Contributor
Beck Midnite Vultures.
And a personal fav here.

My vote goes to:

[This was once in my LP collection. I kinda knew what I was in for.]

Last edited:

Robin L

Master Contributor
This is definitely the worst in my collection. But you get 40+ minutes of music per side, so the portions are large.

View attachment 36190
Really a sonic marvel, the most crowded grooves in LP history, everything slightly sped up to fit on too many discs of a dead sounding mono broadcast. A Sound, Absolutely. I got the remastering of this Ring on Fonit Cetra, much better, but still no good.

Last edited:

Robin L

Master Contributor
Also, the Shat can really lay it down:

Robin L

Master Contributor
Yes, I paid for this, soon as it came out. I knew what I was in for. I found it inspiring. If he could do this kind of stuff, I could do this kind of stuff.

frogmeat69

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Black Label Society's album "Sonic Brew",
1599786652757.png
Love Zakk Wylde, but this CD literally gives me a headache when I try to listen to it, brickwalled to Hell, more like sonic poo.

Top Bottom