• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WolfX700 Measurements of Holo Audio Spring 2 Lv2

YSC

Major Contributor
One more thing, did you measure the NOS frequency response? I really enjoyed my unit in NOS, and wonders is the warm and smooth sound resulted from the HF roll off in NOS

Veri

Master Contributor
I really enjoyed my unit in NOS, and wonders is the warm and smooth sound resulted from the HF roll off in NOS

Simple answer, yes warm/smooth means the high frequencies are rolled off due to NOS.

YSC

Major Contributor
@WolfX-700 did you keep the power always on and only mute it with front panel button or switch off at the back each time?

OP
WolfX-700

WolfX-700

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
@WolfX-700 did you keep the power always on and only mute it with front panel button or switch off at the back each time?
I just shut down my Poweramp and let Spring2 run all the time (my Roon library is big enough) I will measure it after a few days (should be this weekend)

So you have to wait for the frequency response.

YSC

Major Contributor
Sure for the waiting, really curious will the channel becomes more balanced in nos pcm mode (I bet not).
Just wonders do you objective audio guys believe in the manufacture claims that this discrete R2R thing need the power always on to keep the internal thermally stable for optimum performance (sounds kinda makes sense to me as discrete resistors arnt thermally trimmed or compensated)
Or is it just some marketing snake oil.

also wonders what tolerance resistors are they using here, be it 0.01% or worse ones is interesting as they managed to get into the SINAD of some of the higher tier DS dacs

YSC

Major Contributor
actually anyone have idea whether the spring 2 have full R2R ladder of 24 bits or some kind of software side implementation like the denafrips Ares? I remember it accepts 24 bits pcm but only have 20 bit ladder

OP
WolfX-700

WolfX-700

Forum Donor
update:
Warm.jpg

YSC

Major Contributor
So this is update on NOS pcm mode? Seems like the designer theory of the running in actually worked! And call me surprised that the SINAD actually is in the second quarter of the best dacs! Amazing for NOS R2R

OP
WolfX-700

WolfX-700

Forum Donor
So this is update on NOS pcm mode? Seems like the designer theory of the running in actually worked! And call me surprised that the SINAD actually is in the second quarter of the best dacs! Amazing for NOS R2R
Yes NOS

YSC

Major Contributor
Thanks WolfX! Really surprised me, I was expecting the measurements won’t change before your update (as a lot of running in myth), but glad to know your random purchase unit measures this well and it ended up channel balance being almost perfect! I can say happy goodbye to my purchase money now

YSC

Major Contributor
Any idea about the filter and roll off of various modes?

YSC

Major Contributor
Any idea after running in did linearity or IMD etc. Would improve, Aside of the physical properties of the resistor ladders being ran in I believe more on the FPGA self learning made some improvements? If not I can’t believe Jeff actually can use 0.01% tolerance (I bet he did?) resistors to create a randomly purchased unit (I think @wolfx just buy online and not let Jeff hand pick the golden sample? As proven by first trial measurement channel difference) to perform such matching and low SINAD on a discrete R2R product! Interested in how a MSB which cost an arm and leg will fare

OP
WolfX-700

WolfX-700

Forum Donor
Any idea after running in did linearity or IMD etc. Would improve, Aside of the physical properties of the resistor ladders being ran in I believe more on the FPGA self learning made some improvements? If not I can’t believe Jeff actually can use 0.01% tolerance (I bet he did?) resistors to create a randomly purchased unit (I think @wolfx just buy online and not let Jeff hand pick the golden sample? As proven by first trial measurement channel difference) to perform such matching and low SINAD on a discrete R2R product! Interested in how a MSB which cost an arm and leg will fare

I'm surprised you are surprised by this result ... (Although I was also surprised when I measured Spring before) because I put the measurement results of Holo Audio May in the forum ...

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...may-probably-the-best-discrete-r2r-dac.10161/

YSC

Major Contributor
I'm surprised you are surprised by this result ... (Although I was also surprised when I measured Spring before) because I put the measurement results of Holo Audio May in the forum ...

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...may-probably-the-best-discrete-r2r-dac.10161/
Indeed the May is a lot better and ranked inside the absolute top rank, what I am surprised is in normal circumstances when a new top end model is announced and the more budget option will got cheaped out on selecting best matching components and leaving those for the flagship, and seems holo didn’t do that, kudos for them and your effort. Also it’s the random purchased unit having self correct the channel balance on a good way (increasing SINAD for poorer channel) but not a logic to reduce the better performing channel is pretty amazing

YSC

Major Contributor
Dear dr WolfX, as in China we have nothing to do and bored to death, did you enjoy much listening the Spring 2 in NOS? or you just use other dacs/OS mode for enjoyment

Miska

Audio Company
Not better than 96/24 (even considering 4db)

View attachment 44543

For best performance at PCM you need to set "DAC Bits" to 20, so that output is dithered to 20-bit level. With TPDF dither, but you could also use something like NS9 or LNS15 noise shaper at output rates of >=352.8k.

Note that when I measure I take into account whole output spectrum up to 5 MHz or whatever needed to reach point where analog filter's response falls below constant noise floor of the DAC. If you run the DAC at 96k (NOS) there's massive amount of correlated images (distortion) in the output spectrum, so badly incomplete reconstruction. At 1.5 MHz the analog filter manages to remove practically all images and thus you are getting pretty decent reconstruction of the analog signal.

Here's -120 dBFS signal with 24-bit data:
HoloSpring2_1k_1M4112_-120dB.png

And here's the same signal with 20-bit NS5 noise shaped dither, at 1.4112 MHz rate:
HoloSpring2_1k_1M4112_-120dB_NS5_20b.png

Top Bottom