• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WolfX700 Measurements of Holo Audio Spring 2 Lv2

Veri

Master Contributor
or will the distortion kept at ~-110 dB range and hence significantly lowering SINAD?
-10dB is probably still totally fine, but the lower you go you are indeed lowering overall SINAD. A really good pre-amp will keep better SNR if you need to attenuate by a lot.

YSC

Major Contributor
-10dB is probably still totally fine, but the lower you go you are indeed lowering overall SINAD. A really good pre-amp will keep better SNR if you need to attenuate by a lot.
It is, if I use spring 2-> 8030C my volume range in the windows volume is like 20-30, now I am adding my old Auralic Taurus Mk II headphone amp (modded with DACT) with it's preamp out and turning the DACT to -60db for casual listening level together with 75-100 volume in windows. I am just wondering as the preamp likely still have quite some self noise so either way maybe I don't get that much SINAD into the 8030C. maybe better off get a quality passive pre amp but that might make my wife kills me;)

Veri

Master Contributor
It is, if I use spring 2-> 8030C my volume range in the windows volume is like 20-30, now I am adding my old Auralic Taurus Mk II headphone amp (modded with DACT) with it's preamp out and turning the DACT to -60db for casual listening level together with 75-100 volume in windows.
That sounds all right honestly :)

YSC

Major Contributor
That sounds all right honestly :)
at least for my ears it's perfectly fine. Just curious that the amp have noise floor at -130db at full output from measurement, so if I lower the knob by 60db (second lowest setting) in theory the amp only leaves around 60-70dB of SINAD so it should start affecting the speaker?

Veri

Master Contributor
at least for my ears it's perfectly fine. Just curious that the amp have noise floor at -130db at full output from measurement, so if I lower the knob by 60db (second lowest setting) in theory the amp only leaves around 60-70dB of SINAD so it should start affecting the speaker?
Frankly, I'm not the expert when it comes to speaker amplification. Perhaps you can start a new thread on how to optimise the SNR in your current set-up. If it all sounds superb, this is probably obsessing over nothing though ;)

Top Bottom