• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WolfX700 Measurement of Erato Nap2060 Integrated/power amplifier

WolfX-700

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
This is a lost pearl. It makes me a little sad why a manufacturer's product has come to this state.

Recently it was my holiday --- Chinese New Year is coming, and I found this second-hand amplifier when I was hanging out on the Internet. It's very cheap-I bought it for less than $ 300.

In fact, according to the information the seller told me, I know that its original price is not expensive-about $ 550-600

The reason I bought it is because I think the quality of the case is good, even if the sound quality is not good, I can replace it with a power amplifier circuit I made, and keep the most troublesome and expensive case and transformer parts when DIY.

Thanks Sf-Express, I placed an order yesterday and I received it today

Photo2.jpg

Rear2.jpg

Rear.jpg

From the photos we can see that this is a relatively complicated power amplifier. Let me briefly introduce:

It has two Line (RCA) inputs, one XLR input, and one of the modules (this one is not installed) provides USB DAC function.

At the XLR input, the volume adjustment function is disabled. This is just a simple power amplifier. When you use RCA input or USB DAC input, it is an Integrated power amplifier. The volume knob on the front panel provides volume adjustment. Moreover, this volume adjustment is implemented by a relay resistor network. Unfortunately, no remote control is provided.

Here I have to focus on this volume adjustment. The volume adjustment knob function seems to be implemented by a microcontroller reading a potentiometer instead of the more common rotary encoder-because the volume knob is marked. In terms of intuitive operation and confirmation, I like this design (many high-end devices do the same). However, as far as the specific implementation is concerned, the damping of its knob is insufficient and the hand feels bad.

Internal picture(My Unit):
int.jpg

Internal picture(With USB DAC module):

in.jpg

It also includes the functions of the headphone amplifier-unfortunately, my 6.5 measuring connector is not found, I ordered one online and waited to fill in this part.

The heat sinks on both sides are made of aluminum alloy CNC, and the surface treatment of the overall amplifier is at a good level (except for the volume knob). The quality of the input and output interfaces (especially the speaker interface) is good and there is no sense of cheapness.

Well, I admit that I was a bit stunned by the current second-hand price of this gadget ($ 300). After all, for many players, the price of a signal cable will exceed this price.

I almost forgot to say that it has two power modes, the so-called Low Power 40W Class A mode (but in terms of heat sink size and machine size, I don't think it can be a "real 40W Class A") 65W high power mode. The introduction also said that its power output stage is based on MOSFETs ...

Okay, stop talking nonsense and start measuring:

Most measurements are done based on the 40W mode, and the high power mode is marked
Dashboard4R5W.jpg

Dashboard8R1W.jpg

Dashboard8R5W.jpg

Dashboard8R10W.jpg

Dashboard8R20W.jpg

Dashboard8R40W.jpg

Dynamic-Range---NoWt.jpg

RMS-Level.jpg

Hi-RMS-Level.jpg

Relative-Level-(1.jpg

8R-Low-PowerTHD+N-Ratio-vs-Measured-Level.jpg

8R-Low-THD+N-Ratio-Freq.jpg

8R-Low-THD-Ratio-Freq-.jpg

Hi-THD+N-Ratio-vs-Measured-Level.jpg

SMPTE-Ratio-vs-Measured-Level.jpg
DIM-Ratio.jpg

Multitone1W.jpg
Multitone10W.jpg
MultitoneMAX.jpg
OI.jpg

Volume.jpg

SINAD--_-Smooth.jpg

Summary: Actually I know the history of this product. In the Chinese market, it was sold for a long time by an infamous "bragging king". While people despise the bragging king, the products they sell are also included in the category of "junk".

A tragedy

Last edited:

Tks

Major Contributor
Thank you wolfman. The case work looks real good and honestly the performance ain't too bad either.

I remember saying to myself long ago, China obliterates the rest of the world when it comes to manufacturing, the only reason they have a bad stigma, is the same reason Japan did, they were up-and-coming as a developing nation (Japan after the World Wars suffered heavy set back naturally, while China coming out of isolation). So they had to work as any junior in the workforce (work for anyone willing to pay).

I honestly think if they were properly paid, they'd crush 99% of the markets in quality and output at the same time (The 1% reserved for companies investing heavily into R&D, which some portions of Chinese production is also starting to demonstrate they can do as well).

Oh hey wolfman, if I could ask for a favor perhaps in some future reviews you do. Do you think you can overlay results of perhaps devices you consider a worthy benchmark? Like when amir does it with DAC's and provides usually the DX3 Pro in the graphs so people always can get a good glimpse of how it one device compares to a well known one he's chosen.

index.php

Is it possible for you to do that with your measurments? Yours seem more accurate so I'm not sure if such a thing is possible in such a mode maybe?

Top Bottom