• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Windows audio stuttering

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
^^^Can it be prevented and you do it manually if/when you want? My laptop is fine but 2014 model and I think of getting a new one, a backup, and then I'll have to decide whether to accept the Windows 10 or organize an 8.1 install. ...And even 8.1 is only possible for me with Classic Shell.

In some ways you can...although I believe the ****** Defender virus stuff can only be shutdown by having some other virus software active in it's place. I have at times taken pains to manually control updating but the problem is you then end up missing a few big updates and when you finally decide to install them you end up with issues at that point. It's sort of a no win situation.

MRC01

Major Contributor
... My laptop is a Dell model. ... Of course it comes with a raft of crap installed
... Well, it got about a third of the way through the update process and then I got a nice BSOD. ... I spent several hours messing around while getting BSODs every 15 minutes or so and having to wait for things to reboot ...
the entire Windows infrastructure is really a mess. Especially the whole update routine. At least 2 or 3 times a week I'll boot up my system and I'll see a blank, black screen for a minute or 2 before the log in screen appears and I'll sit there wondering what is going on. ... There really shouldn't ever be a time when your computer is operating and chewing on something with a blank screen without some sort of indication that it's not locked up. More often than not the update is just a damn Windows Defender virus signature file...what an utter pos piece of software that is.
You name just a few of the many reasons I switched to Linux years ago. Linux has its quirks and is not for the faint of heart, but in different ways. It doesn't crash, or come with a bazillion bloat-ware cr-applets, or gradually consume the entire hard drive with its own garbage waste files. And it has version managed repositories which makes installs and updates simpler and cleaner.
Incidentally, most Dell machines, both desktop & laptop, run Ubuntu nicely.

Katji

Major Contributor
^^^I wouldn't have a problem, not much, at least the basics of UNIX not forgotten, but I don't want to deal with no Mp3tag and so on.

JoostE

Why install 8. I don't know a single thing 8 is better at honestly.

Katji

Major Contributor
You cannot give me one good reason to have Windows 10 instead.
...(Instead of 8.1 you mean. 8 is not mentioned, it was a ms fokup that was replaced after a few weeks.)
I have several reasons not to have Windows 10. Probably starting with the problems of updates along with spying /data collection. (And if you're lucky I even tell you a joke about sanctions on Huawei.)

Last edited:

levimax

Major Contributor
You name just a few of the many reasons I switched to Linux years ago. Linux has its quirks and is not for the faint of heart, but in different ways. It doesn't crash, or come with a bazillion bloat-ware cr-applets, or gradually consume the entire hard drive with its own garbage waste files. And it has version managed repositories which makes installs and updates simpler and cleaner.
Incidentally, most Dell machines, both desktop & laptop, run Ubuntu nicely.

I am struggling with the Qobuz app on a Windows 7 machine as described and it makes me think of Linux although the problem is the Qobuz app, not Windows, as Foobar2000 runs with a high tap count convolution at 2% to 3% CPU but as soon as I open Qobuz it goes up to 20% with "spikes" every 30 seconds to near 100%. The reason I don't switch to Linux is I love Foobar2000. Is there a Linux player that supports playing back all files and has an integrated convolution engine and can play back "line in" (I use that for my TT) like the "recorder" plug in on Foobar?

billmr

I have had this problem with all audio players in windows for a long time (mostly server os types) Especially bad if hyper-v was enabled.

I have done dpc and latency checking, looked at drivers, set the player to a certain core etc.

I finally gave up and got a nice desktop dac/amp with 2 inputs, one for my computer and one for a Pi player running picoreplayer/lms

John78

I have a small PC with i5-6500T CPU that I wanted to use for HTPC.
It even outputs 4K on my TV and have no problems with 4K videos on Youtube.
But whenever I play hi-res in Qobuz all 4 CPU cores spike to 100% and audio is stuttering.
Is Qobuz app really this bad ?? It’s just damm audio playback.

kloppite

I have a small PC with i5-6500T CPU that I wanted to use for HTPC.
It even outputs 4K on my TV and have no problems with 4K videos on Youtube.
But whenever I play hi-res in Qobuz all 4 CPU cores spike to 100% and audio is stuttering.
Is Qobuz app really this bad ?? It’s just damm audio playback.
I am having this issue too - anyone know of a fix ??

Or is Qobuz on windows just trash - I stream the same track to a chromecast audio and it works fine

John78

Or is Qobuz on windows just trash - I stream the same track to a chromecast audio and it works fine
It is qobuz app on windows that is garbage, nothing you can do about it, I just switched to Tidal.

Katji

Major Contributor
Apparently Tidal is also crappy software, just not bad like Qobuz.
Anyway why not just use Qobuz in the web browser[?]...then at least there is some control by Firefox /whatever.

John78

Apparently Tidal is also crappy software, just not bad like Qobuz.
Anyway why not just use Qobuz in the web browser[?]...then at least there is some control by Firefox /whatever.
Keyword: hi-res.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor

Works great for all the way up to 192/24. i7 at max 4.9 GHz, Win 10 and Focusrite 4i4 Audio interface. Main reason for stuttering (next to having the correct drivers ) especially for slower machines is the size of the buffer. For audio reproduction set it as high as possible as latency is not important as opposed to if you eg play piano / guitar etc through the audio interface.

kloppite

I played with Qobuz some more on the dual core celeron NUC - if 1) you keep the window minimized while playing & 2) you download the album before playing it the problem mostly goes away. Can't use the computer for anything else though :-(

I tried on a quad core I5 that is 6 years old - no issues - go figure. Not a great piece of software for sure

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I played with Qobuz some more on the dual core celeron NUC - if 1) you keep the window minimized while playing & 2) you download the album before playing it the problem mostly goes away. Can't use the computer for anything else though :-(

I tried on a quad core I5 that is 6 years old - no issues - go figure. Not a great piece of software for sure
I have an ancient ASUS PC that runs a LOT of programs at once, including Qobuz through the native app-I've never had any stuttering. I also use Audirvana and stream Qobuz through it and no stuttering, even when having 4 or 5 programs running.

D

Deleted member 46664

My Windows 10 computer is driving me nuts. Everytime I launch a web browser app my audio will stutter very badly. For instance I'll have Qobuz playing music and if I open Edge the music will stutter. Same happens when I open Google Chrome or Firefox.

I have a Gigabyte motherboard with onboard Sound blaster audio. My drivers are up to date as I can tell. I even tested to see if it was a driver issue by connecting my DAC directly via USB and still there's stuttering.

I checked for DPC latency issues and installed the LatencyMon app. It gave my PC a clean bill of health.

See if your music app supports WASAPI Exclusive mode ... enable that and it owns the sound system until you stop playback.

John78

I have an ancient ASUS PC that runs a LOT of programs at once, including Qobuz through the native app-I've never had any stuttering. I also use Audirvana and stream Qobuz through it and no stuttering, even when having 4 or 5 programs running.
Were you playing bitperfect or using windows mixer?

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

TimA

In case anyone else had this, I had a real problem for a year with stuttering/static produced by most browers (less on Brave, bad on Chrome and even worse on Firefox) when playing music using Foobar. Running Windows 10 on a new Ryzen 5 PC. I tried everything the internet suggested, updated all drivers, removed enhancements, changed priorities and so on, all to no avail (though Process Lasso helped a lot). The thing that really seemed to get rid of it entirely was uninstalling ZoneAlarm.

Like some others I have a much older PC that does not have this problem.

Last edited:
Top Bottom