• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Windows 11 (Insider Preview)

Trell

Major Contributor
Well, when your business is (largely, albeit not exclusively) operating systems, planned obsolesence kinda makes sense, you know?
:rolleyes:

I've to say that Windows 10 works fine on my three Haswell builds from 2013 as well as Windows 7 before that. I'll still get a few more years of support form Windows 10 and then the PC builds will be around twelve years old. A pretty good run, though I might upgrade my main PC before that.

Weeb Labs

Addicted to Fun and Learning

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, when your business is (largely, albeit not exclusively) operating systems, planned obsolesence kinda makes sense
Actually it doesn't, because aside from a per-unit licensing fee added to the price of our PCs (probably negligible) it's not at all clear to me where Microsoft makes money from non-corporate users like you and I, but I hope it's not in user data mining. Apple, on the other hand ... good god, the revenues from the App Store alone must be stunning.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Actually it doesn't, because aside from a per-unit licensing fee added to the price of our PCs (probably negligible) it's not at all clear to me where Microsoft makes money from non-corporate users like you and I, but I hope it's not in user data mining. Apple, on the other hand ... good god, the revenues from the App Store alone must be stunning.
Each new PC has either a OEM by maker, OEM disc/USB drive or a retail version. That must add up to something.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Well -- I suspect they make a buck or two annually in the OS space from their corporate users, don't you?

I've to say that Windows 10 works fine on my three Haswell builds from 2013 as well as Windows 7 before that. I'll still get a few more years of support form Windows 10 and then the PC builds will be around twelve years old. A pretty good run, though I might upgrade my main PC before that.
You oughta see what I run Win 10 on... :cool:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I paid ~$160.00 CND for a USB OEM Win10 version for my custom desktop. At that rate profits should add up pretty fast.

OP
Berwhale

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I paid ~$160.00 CND for a USB OEM Win10 version for my custom desktop. At that rate profits should add up pretty fast.

Large OEMs like Dell and Lenovo will be paying single digit dollars for their OEM licenses. The Windows OS comes under Microsoft's 'More Personal Computing' division which accounts for 29% of Microsoft's net income. 'More Personal Computing' also includes microsoft's own hardware (Surface, etc.) and their gaming operations and platforms. Microsoft now makes the biggest slice of their profits (36%) from thier cloud operations.

How Microsoft Makes Money: Personal Computing, Cloud Services (investopedia.com)

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
After a good while, I can say, I like windows 11. Its kind of funny how 6 years of updates for Windows 10, feels like ****** to use still. I get windows 11 is a "fresh coat of paint" version of Windows 10, but it feels so much better to use. The only major bug I encountered was the start search being slow on startup, that's about it. I have not encountered the kernel mode crashes like MS was bitching about when it came to "old" cpus. I hate how MS is dancing around the idea of opening up Windows 11 to support older cpus over time. If this beta ass build of windows 11 can run great on my i7 6700, then I'm sure it can run on a intel core duo 2 on Day one of release, why does it need "other" roll outs. Alright, lets talk about something good. I saw the MS store got updated and it looks good, it even functions well too.

Screenshot 2021-09-26 155337.jpg

OP
Berwhale

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Also, still not sure what's going to happen to my Windows 11 Insider build once 11 goes GA. My CPU is not on the supported list (Ryzen 7 1700X). I could swap out the CPU for a new supported one (probably a Ryzen 5 3600 or Ryzen 7 3700X), but I don't really want throw £200-£250 at a 4 year old PC.

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
How is everyone coping with the new Start menu? I can't stand it and have resorted to using Nexus dock again (after weaning myself off it on Windows 10): https://www.winstep.net/nexus.asp
I don't mind the new start menu too much. Only thing I would revamp is the "recommended" part of it. Its sad & not sad how the new start menu has no folders.

Also, still not sure what's going to happen to my Windows 11 Insider build once 11 goes GA. My CPU is not on the supported list (Ryzen 7 1700X). I could swap out the CPU for a new supported one (probably a Ryzen 5 3600 or Ryzen 7 3700X), but I don't really want throw £200-£250 at a 4 year old PC.
I'm sure you'll be fine. If they cut updates, you can install them manually. The only thing I'm worried about is that games and applications that require that damn TPM chip. I could just buy one from ebay when the prices go down.

OP
Berwhale

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't mind the new start menu too much. Only thing I would revamp is the "recommended" part of it. Its sad & not sad how the new start menu has no folders.

My 'Recommended' is empty, because i've been launching everything from Nexus

I'm sure you'll be fine. If they cut updates, you can install them manually. The only thing I'm worried about is that games and applications that require that damn TPM chip. I could just buy one from ebay when the prices go down.

Do you need a descrete TPM? Have you tried enabling Intell PTT or AMD fTPM in your BIOS?

storing

Forum Donor
How is everyone coping with the new Start menu?
For me: same as since Windows 7 basically. Using it as a keyboard-based launcher, i.e. hit Start key then start typing. Doesn't always work without flaws but still faster than point-click, and gets around whatever way it looks. Things I use most I pin to the taskbar.

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
My 'Recommended' is empty, because i've been launching everything from Nexus

Do you need a descrete TPM? Have you tried enabling Intell PTT or AMD fTPM in your BIOS?
Yeah I do. My i7 6700 does support Intel PTT but my motherboard does not, so I can't enable but it does support physical TPM chips. I would get one for my motherboard but the prices rocketed to between $50 usd to $100 usd. At that price point, I could just get another motherboard that actually supports Intel PTT. For anybody else reading this in the future, I would recommend not cheaping out on your motherboard and look through every single feature because it'll bite you in the ass in the future.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Each new PC has either a OEM by maker, OEM disc/USB drive or a retail version. That must add up to something.
I was employed by a large organization with tens of thousands of employees. Most had a desktop PC using Windows, and Office. Everything was licensed on a per user basis, as I recall. God knows what the total payout to MS was, even with a large discount from 'retail'.

The Office suite was overkill for 99% of employees, who were limited to opening memos in Word, and reading email in Outlook. I used Excel a lot, but never opened Access. I might have made a birthday or retirement card with Publisher. Powerpoint rarely.

As an employee I was able to source a copy of Office Pro through the MS HUP (Home Use Program) for $9.95. I presume that was the license fee for corporate users at work, too. I bought Office 2013 and upgraded to 2016, which I use now. In my view MS office is worth at least ten dollars as a one time payment. I think upon termination I was supposed to remove the software from my home PC. But I never did. If MS calls and makes an issue out of it I'll comply.

Overall, Windows works pretty well as an OS, these days. That wasn't always the case. When 11 arrives I'll update. By the time 12 arrives, I'll either be dead or need a new PC.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
A workaround to bypass TPM restrictions is available and working (...at least for now):

Link to script (from article above):

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was employed by a large organization with tens of thousands of employees. Most had a desktop PC using Windows, and Office. Everything was licensed on a per user basis, as I recall. God knows what the total payout to MS was, even with a large discount from 'retail'.

The Office suite was overkill for 99% of employees, who were limited to opening memos in Word, and reading email in Outlook. I used Excel a lot, but never opened Access. I might have made a birthday or retirement card with Publisher. Powerpoint rarely.

As an employee I was able to source a copy of Office Pro through the MS HUP (Home Use Program) for $9.95. I presume that was the license fee for corporate users at work, too. I bought Office 2013 and upgraded to 2016, which I use now. In my view MS office is worth at least ten dollars as a one time payment. I think upon termination I was supposed to remove the software from my home PC. But I never did. If MS calls and makes an issue out of it I'll comply.

Overall, Windows works pretty well as an OS, these days. That wasn't always the case. When 11 arrives I'll update. By the time 12 arrives, I'll either be dead or need a new PC.
I've used Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook pretty extensively, so more of the Office suite perhaps than you. But I always regarded the lack of an Acrobat pdf creation and editing component to be exasperating. Creating and manipulating pdfs is a critical part of office administration nowadays for any business that creates written work product, and the continued omission of this capability from the Office suite remains frustrating to me. Acrobat full version is quite expensive (and now it's available only via the subscription route, which I hate), so I've been relegated to using PDF-XChange, which is nearly as good and a lot cheaper.

storing

Forum Donor
At least these days Office suite applications can directly save to pdf. Not sure if editing is ever going to happen.

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
At least these days Office suite applications can directly save to pdf. Not sure if editing is ever going to happen.
Good point. But I always had to collect and sort individual pdfs into a complete document to transmit to my clients, which required Acrobat or something with the same feature set.

Top Bottom