• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Windows 11 (Insider Preview)

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
I am tired of seeing articles that say "You can run windows 11 on any windows-10 compatible machine". Its complete bullshit, you still need a TPM. If you do bypass the TPM check, you could risk losing updates.

ms.PNG

The manual upgrade method works like a charm on VirtualBox:
TPM.PNG

Last edited:

Honken

It would have been nicer if they also bumped up the microarch requirements to something like v3 when they decided to lock older hardware out. Could've netted some extra performance for "free".

Weeb Labs

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I am tired of seeing articles that say "You can run windows 11 on any windows-10 compatible machine". Its complete bullshit, you still need a TPM. If you do bypass the TPM check, you could risk losing updates.
There is no reason to believe that such an installation will not continue to receive automatic updates. It would be an unmitigated PR disaster, were Microsoft to decide to allow the proliferation of security vulnerabilities under Windows 11.

Even putting aside automatic updates, it will always be possible to manually install updates via WSUS, individual package downloads and the corresponding installation ISOs for major build releases. This is simply not a realistic concern.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There is no reason to believe that such an installation will not continue to receive automatic updates. It would be an unmitigated PR disaster, were Microsoft to decide to allow the proliferation of security vulnerabilities under Windows 11.

Definitely this. Those of us with long memories remember when they tried that with Windows XP...

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
I decided to install Windows 11 (Dev Channel) on my PC. Every time I install Windows 10, it eventually becomes a ****** mess. So might as well Install barely buggy W11. I did the "Upgrade Method", it went so damn smooth.

I choose the "Delete & clean everything route", it almost did a good job at that:
Clean Install.PNG

Updates Work:
Updates.png

Activated Just Fine:
Activate.jpg

No TPM just like VirtualBox:
No TPM.png

"Outdated Hardware":
Outdated Hardware.png

Finally, I found this ironic:
Ironic.png

OP
Berwhale

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
Berwhale

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The manual upgrade method works like a charm on VirtualBox

Does Virtualbox provide a virtual TPM? I've had this working in Hyper-V on my Windows 10 machine where I was able to successfully deploy a corporate build into a VM and have the virtual disk encrypted with Bitlocker with the keys passed through to my local fTPM (and copied to Azure AD for recovery).

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
Does Virtualbox provide a virtual TPM? I've had this working in Hyper-V on my Windows 10 machine where I was able to successfully deploy a corporate build into a VM and have the virtual disk encrypted with Bitlocker with the keys passed through to my local fTPM (and copied to Azure AD for recovery).
I'm pretty sure it doesn't but its easy to bypass the TPM check.

OP
Berwhale

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Definitely this. Those of us with long memories remember when they tried that with Windows XP...

It's pretty simple. Providing support and providing updates are two different things. You provide support for an OS for X years and updates for another Y years. Updates deployed during Y years are done at your own risk and Microsoft can't be accused of not providing updates.

OP
Berwhale

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm pretty sure it doesn't but its easy to bypass the TPM check.

My front door doesn't have a very good lock, but it's OK because I can leave it unlocked? :)

I think I mentioned this before, but as far as my job is concerned, TPM 2.0 was a requirement for Windows 10. TPM 2.0 was available on a ThinkPad T440 which came out in 2013, so it's hardly a new technology. I appreciate that TPM 2.0 wasn't available on all hardware of this vintage and folks have older hardware that they want to use, but I don't see why Microsoft should be obligated to support them.

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
My topping E30 is acting strange but I guess it works. The official driver doesn't work at all. Plugging in my D10, W11 thinks its my E30 still, which means no 16 bit.

Lowest setting is 44.1khz/24bit not 44.1khz/16bit
Forcing WASAPI (Push/Event) for 16 bit playback does not work.
Although my old SoundBlaster titanium HD does have a 44.1khz/16bit option.

OP
Berwhale

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My topping E30 is acting strange but I guess it works. The official driver doesn't work at all. Plugging in my D10, W11 thinks its my E30 still, which means no 16 bit.

Lowest setting is 44.1khz/24bit not 44.1khz/16bit
Forcing WASAPI (Push/Event) for 16 bit playback does not work.
Although my old SoundBlaster titanium HD does have a 44.1khz/16bit option.

I have no issues with a Topping EX5 using 5.20 ASIO drivers on Windows 11...

1630349021358.png

I did get some issues when trying to integrate Voicemeeter Banana into the audio chain, but I had very similar issues with Windows 10 (i've just forgotten how I fixed it!)

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
I have no issues with a Topping EX5 using 5.20 ASIO drivers on Windows 11...

View attachment 150465

I did get some issues when trying to integrate Voicemeeter Banana into the audio chain, but I had very similar issues with Windows 10 (i've just forgotten how I fixed it!)

I think I got my 16 bit problem resolved. I used the 5.12 driver instead of 5.20 driver.
For some reason the driver didn't give any extra outputs to foobar, I got output plugins on the web anyways. ASIO4ALL allows DSD playback but I can't select any tracks (ISO file) but I can split the iso using "Iso2dsd". I rarely play DSD anyways. Mainly I am happy to get 44.1khz/16bit output at all.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's pretty simple. Providing support and providing updates are two different things. You provide support for an OS for X years and updates for another Y years. Updates deployed during Y years are done at your own risk and Microsoft can't be accused of not providing updates.

I was refering to back when they introduced "Windows Genuine Advantage" and for a time blocked automatic updates on unactivated machines.

OP
Berwhale

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was refering to back when they introduced "Windows Genuine Advantage" and for a time blocked automatic updates on unactivated machines.

Yes, I remember that too. Why should you be able to consume Microsoft's update services without paying for them in the form of an activation?

Most consumers obtain Windows via an OEM, Microsoft gets very little money for Windows itself and it's the OEM who is responsible for providing support to the end user. These days, windows is activated via an OEM key stored in the BIOS, so the above point is moot because the device is activated at the factory.

Some consumers purchase the retail version of Windows - generally because they want to deploy it to their own hardware, move the license between hardware or get support directly from Microsoft. Again, I don't see why you wouldn't activate Windows as you wouldn't get any support from Microsoft without doing so.

Other consumers know that you can activate Windows 10 and 11 using a valid license key from Windows 7 onwards. The Windows 7 key from my Technet subscription (cancelled in 2014 when MS killed the program) still works fine.

OP
Berwhale

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, I remember that too. Why should you be able to consume Microsoft's update services without paying for them in the form of an activation?

Most consumers obtain Windows via an OEM, Microsoft gets very little money for Windows itself and it's the OEM who is responsible for providing support to the end user. These days, windows is activated via an OEM key stored in the BIOS, so the above point is moot because the device is activated at the factory.

Some consumers purchase the retail version of Windows - generally because they want to deploy it to their own hardware, move the license between hardware or get support directly from Microsoft. Again, I don't see why you wouldn't activate Windows as you wouldn't get any support from Microsoft without doing so.

Other consumers know that you can activate Windows 10 and 11 using a valid license key from Windows 7 onwards. The Windows 7 key from my Technet subscription (cancelled in 2014 when MS killed the program) still works fine.
Any idea why Microsoft supports the Win10 USB thumb drive OEM version more than the regular OEM version?

OP
Berwhale

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Any idea why Microsoft supports the Win10 USB thumb drive OEM version more than the regular OEM version?

Not sure what you mean. Microsoft don't support any OEM versions of Windows. The OEM deployment mechanisms are aimed at OEMs, not consumers. I've always created my USB installer using the Media Creation Tool which can write USB or spit out an ISO.

I used Lenovo's image recovery tool recently to get a ThinkPad T14 back to the factory image. You have to have a valid serial number (and maybe be within warranty) to get hold of the recovery tool. I was testing Windows Autopilot on the T14 and had to recover the image more times than I care to remember. Still we can now delivery laptops straight to users at home and get a corporate image on it without it going anywhere near an office or paying Lenovo to deploy the corporate image for us (which can get quite exspensive and is a pain to update).

Last edited:

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why should you be able to consume Microsoft's update services without paying for them in the form of an activation?
MS realized that not updating old machines led to malware proliferation, which led to those systems being used to launch further attacks and gave Windows the image of a virus-laden wasteland compared to competing systems. It was bad PR.

Last edited:
OP
Berwhale

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
MS realized that not updating old machines led to malware proliferation, which led to those systems being used to launch further attacks and gave Windows the image of a virus-laden wasteland compared to competing systems. It was bad PR.

That's a fair point, I guess the problem here is that Microsoft have retained the name 'Windows' and any stigma attached to it for far too long. Maybe they should keep changing the name like Apple?

Top Bottom