• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wilson Audio TuneTot Review (high-end bookshelf speaker)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 364 58.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 186 30.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 44 7.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 25 4.0%

• Total voters

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
genelec_8341_sapphire_blue_anniversary.png
FB_IMG_1688111405540.jpg
FB_IMG_1688111409310.jpg
Screenshot_20230630_104946_Facebook.jpg
FB_IMG_1688111402935.jpg

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
the thing around 200hz i guess is a in-room bass cancelation
the boost around +3dB between 5khz-20khz is expected, that speaker is for old folks.. ( you know $$$)
That may be, although in my EQ experiments I prefer flat up there. I think that thing would just sound nasty to me.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
That may be, although in my EQ experiments I prefer flat up there. I think that thing would just sound nasty to me.
Ageed, once you add in room reflections with the peaky top end, I'll take a pass.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Penelinfi

Could you speak up please? It really annoys me that young people these days whisper.
If you're going to yell, just yell. Don't move your mouth heaps and look like you're out of breath but then hardly any sound comes out!

prerich

"Sullied" is way too strong a word. He measures diligently and fairly, and provides us with all the info we need to decide if something may pique our interest or not. The recommendation part is -as always- influenced by purely subjective factors - with a "form of the day" variable thrown in. :) I never read too much into it, because when it comes to subjectivity I'd rather create my own - as we all do, I think. :)

You, kind sir, have won the internet - for a lifetime!!!!! One of the best post I've ever read visually and heard in my own mind. Bravo Zulu!!!!!

prerich

They certainly look a lot better aesthetically imo. The Dutch n Dutch look better t

??? I measure and listen to give data on performance of a device you can't evaluate yourself. This is why I do that. And is price independent. Nothing was forgiven here because the cabinet was expensive. I rated it higher than the measurements sum up due to fidelity that I heard. As I noted in the review, I do not like the look of this speaker and regardless of how good it is, I would never buy it for that reason. So if you think I gave it a pass because it is a luxury product, I did not whatsoever. I am simply not here to penalize everything I test on basis of price when there are so many subjective factors in something like a speaker. A DAC, sure. But not a speaker. You have to like how it looks, how big it is, how easy it is to drive in your system, etc.
@amirm I'm glad I took the time to go through the pages of this thread! I love your candor, truthfully liking a speaker for its sonics regardless of its price. My Whispers do not measure as well as my Infinity P-FRs on axis...but my Whispers have more detail (subjectively), even lower distortion (objectively), and better dynamics. I thought I was a fool when I looked at the measurements from the listening position (where the center of my head would be), how could I prefer these over my Infinitiy speakers? However, when I took several measurements around my head (where my nose would be, my two ears, back of my head and off to the left and right of my ears), the averaged measurement was much improved (a bump in the the highs was still there but that's easy to eq out, what was amazing ...the dip at 250hz disappeared in the averaged measurement). The comment in bold has helped me greatly. Doesn't matter what a person is willing to pay for, as long as they like it. Bravo Zulu (well done...in Navy speak).

prerich

Exactly that suprised me. Only very first time I have seen such review. How a speaker having an extremely bad peak at as high as 120hz can sound even subjectively good ?
Amirm said it sounds good post-EQ.

prerich

Your point misses a key element: these speakers *require* EQ to sound better than the M106. DSP and equalization are more accessible than ever, and I use them in every system of mine, but how many average consumers can say the same? Most buyers of these speakers will be stuck with terribly aberrant sound.
Not necessarily, many people with speakers like this also invest in Lyngdorf, or Trinnov type processors...so great DSP is available to them.

prerich

I'm not surprised these speakers measure badly, they are for 2ch "audiophiles" who worship cables. I assume most super over priced esoteric speaker brands like Wilson Audio measure poorly.
Magico actually measures quite well.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not necessarily, many people with speakers like this also invest in Lyngdorf, or Trinnov type processors...so great DSP is available to them.
I don’t know. The market for these tend to be “purists”.

If one budgets for a Trinnov then one could actually choose a lot of speakers that cost less and offer far better lowest octave performance.

I wonder if it’s just brand recognition and the need to be a part of a certain club.

I suppose rationality is not one of the important parameters when choosing these.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Wilsons look pretty cool and I'm not sure which speakers could give you the same SPL
KEF One Blade Meta? Don't think so
Which studio monitors ? Not sure
So there's that too

Top Bottom