• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Will Topping ever make a Phono Preamp?

Sokel

Master Contributor
I know almost nothing about electronics ... but ... if you can get a digital chip and add an analog section (a DAC) with 90dB SINAD (or more) ... why the "better" phono preamps we can see are almost 70-80 db SINAD? (i know, i know, maybe is more complicated, but i'm only guessing from my ignorance).
Remember that the cambridge duo measured the best with a higher gain than the others, so was retired from the result table ... the "best" we can see is 80dB.

If Topping makes a 90dB SINAD preamp under 400 usd ... i think is a blockbuster.
The lower the gain the easier to achieve good performance (have a look at the amps with better performance and you have your answer).
Now think of something that has to amplify the signal 60 times.
THAT will be a interesting demonstration of engineering skill.

mike70

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Do you think there's market for a new low budget turntable? Think about it for a moment.

And think again ...

Ladies and Gentlemen ... the brand new Ikea turntable (wtf???!!!)

https://about.ikea.com/en/behind-sc...er-by-ikea-and-swedish-house-mafia-came-to-be

obegransad-record_player_milan-47c3b732-figure-image-mobile

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Does the IKEA need a separate preamp or does it have an internal one to get to line level. My guess would be the latter.

mike70

Does the IKEA need a separate preamp or does it have an internal one to get to line level. My guess would be the latter.
You're right... and comes with AT3600 cartridge, obviously not something "super", but one of the best basic cartridges available. It seems an alternative to the famous Crosley turntables (aka "record destructors")

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You're right... and comes with AT3600 cartridge, obviously not something "super", but one of the best basic cartridges available. It seems an alternative to the famous Crosley turntables (aka "record destructors")
And this is kind of my argument why, no matter how much some people would love Topping to make a phono pre, it is either unnecessary for lower end TT users or (possibly
) not appealing for those TT users that don't have a pre either in the TT nor their amp. Or at least not the quantity of potential users that would be needed to warrant the investment.

mike70

And this is kind of my argument why, no matter how much some people would love Topping to make a phono pre, it is either unnecessary for lower end TT users or (possibly
) not appealing for those TT users that don't have a pre either in the TT nor their amp. Or at least not the quantity of potential users that would be needed to warrant the investment.

I agree with you ... but I'm not a lower end TT user and I"ll love a balanced topping preamp with high engineering / measurements for half the price tag you need to spend today. That kind of device is in the 1k price tag actually.

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
I agree with you ... but I'm not a lower end TT user and I"ll love a balanced topping preamp with high engineering / measurements for half the price tag you need to spend today. That kind of device is in the 1k price tag actually.
What makes you think Topping could design, manufacture, and sell a stellar measuring phono preamp for cheap? Possibly could make one that does not measure so well, but that would not be in line with their other products.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
in the last year, records sells more than CDs ... so, is a bad strategy to make cd players?

I never play a CD that I purchase. I just rip it and never touch it again.

deadwood83

Huh.

1664721220345.png

Now I'm curious who their OE partner is. AND I am also curious where/what/IF their anti-skate is.....

mike70

What makes you think Topping could design, manufacture, and sell a stellar measuring phono preamp for cheap? Possibly could make one that does not measure so well, but that would not be in line with their other products.

Possibly ...
Makes you think ...
It could be ...
That would be ...

You're like me, the difference is that you think in a negative way about it ... and I in a positive way. That's all. We're only guessing.
So, live and let live LOL
If Topping can't do that, that preamp will never see the light. And it's ok.

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
Possibly ...
Makes you think ...
It could be ...
That would be ...

You're like me, the difference is that you think in a negative way about it ... and I in a positive way. That's all. We're only guessing.
So, live and let live LOL
If Topping can't do that, that preamp will never see the light. And it's ok.
The dude from Topping already indicated no interest. So, there is some realism to them not pursuing it. The difficulty of making a "perfect" phono stage is very difficult because of the type of gain required. Not really being negative - just realistic.

mike70

What they did with amplifiers and DACs was already difficult.

And maybe I have the right to express my opinion and my wish, if it's "true" or not for you
.. your tolerance can be a good asset.

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
What they did with amplifiers and DACs was already difficult.

And maybe I have the right to express my opinion and my wish, if it's "true" or not for you
.. your tolerance can be a good asset.
Of course you can state your opinion or wishes. My opinion is Topping cannot accomplish the goal you are wishing for. They have already said they don't want to do it. There might be a good reason for that reasoning. Many other company's have tried and while their results in many cases are "good enough" for vinyl playback - none have results from ASR testing anywhere close to DACS and line stages.

mike70

Of course you can state your opinion or wishes. My opinion is Topping cannot accomplish the goal you are wishing for. They have already said they don't want to do it. There might be a good reason for that reasoning. Many other company's have tried and while their results in many cases are "good enough" for vinyl playback - none have results from ASR testing anywhere close to DACS and line stages.
I don't ask for a 110db SINAD preamp ... that's a fallacy, I think you don't see my point.

I stated previously and others saw it, so it's ok, there's not much more to add.

Top Bottom