• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Phono Preamp XLR Out Distortion

OP
D

Dom Cobb

No, it said Cambridge uses 1.5V for their amps. There's no listed spec for max input for the EVO.
Sorry you’re right. I’ll reach out to Cambridge to confirm.

OP
D

Dom Cobb

No, it said Cambridge uses 1.5V for their amps. There's no listed spec for max input for the EVO.
Cambridge confirmed XLR sensitivity is 700mV on Evo150 and XLR max gain 34dB. Thoughts? I’m not sure how to evaluate vs the PH-10.

JP

Major Contributor
Cambridge confirmed XLR sensitivity is 700mV on Evo150 and XLR max gain 34dB. Thoughts? I’m not sure how to evaluate vs the PH-10.

700mV if max, coupled with what’s happening to you and the other reported instance pretty much confirms the PH-10 is overloading the Cambridge.

OP
D

Dom Cobb

The Gold Note PH-10 is gone. Went to a Manley Chinook and will be happy using RCAs. Never looking back...

Biamp

Glad to here you got a Chinook, I sent mine back
Only for the total of the 4 gain settings, yes that
Increase from 60 to 65 made a definite difference I talked to the tech out there at Manley,. He told me they also changed a few other things around on the board and I did notice when it came back they changed the RCA connection wires that looked like silver foil to a purple cable well, I guess you know by now, that’s the end of the Chinook run ,yes the
New Oasis that’s the new name for the new chinook , has a little more attractive chassis casework looks a little nicer, I guess, aesthetically speaking, they also moved all the gain settings to the rear of the unit where they should’ve put them in the first place just my humble opinion, and the thing I like, least no more transformer, big cut down on the capacitors it is now operated by a switching power supply. I personally do not like switching power supplies, they’re fine if you’re gonna run them in that class D amp or ICE amp / same
They absolutely have their place. I am not an engineer but I’ve been building kits and playing around with all types of units since high school which was in the early 70s also speaking no matter what you hear a switching power supply that’s implemented instead of it’s in the Chinook is a lot
Less in Coast, I don’t care who tells me. It is not a switching. Power supply is a lot cheaper to build than the power supply that’s in your Chinook by the way, what do you think of it so far? I’d like to know if you feel like commenting I appreciate good luck with your Chinook, mines not going anywhere. I do have other phone stages. I’ll keep the one I have till I hear further, but I don’t think so. I got a peek at the inside of the new one still using the white flowers. Everything’s about the same big changes the power supply casework and gain switches on the back. I believe they just let word out around the week or so ago I believe the original Chinook will hold a good value in the future.

Top Bottom