• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Will the Hegel H390 overpower the Kef R3 Meta's?

CHenry

What does this do that a sub $ 2000 amp doesn’t?
Which sub-$2000 integrated amp? The OP is looking at the H-390 not only for a present KEF R3 Meta use case but as a "future-proof" amp for use with other, presumably more demanding speakers. Certainly a less-expensive lower-powered integrated from any number of makers could deliver excellent sound from the KEFs, but the OP has additional objectives. I am not recommending the H-390, but I think that it would perform well. I happen to think it is a little light on features for the money, and a better-performing separates combination could be bought for less, but that is a separate conversation.

At present, Peachtree has dropped pricing on its Carina integrated to $1600, which also has an internal DAC more advanced than the Hegel has and using Hypex NCore, throws in a headphone amp, and of course 300W at 8R.

Last edited:

Steven Holt

Forum Donor
I mainly posted that because people were offering suggestions of power amps when the OP posted a power amp. The Yamaha looks nice, but the Hegel has more than twice the power, offers digital out, and is Roon Ready. I’m not pushing that product, but simply pointing out additional features.
Point taken (but the 801 has plenty of features albeit less power, still plenty). All we are trying to do is to keep this guy from going down a very expensive rabbit-hole. And Voodooless is right, spending three times more on an amp than your speakers makes no sense on any level. Digital out? Digital out to WHAT??

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I am not recommending the H-390,
There we go!
but I think that it would perform well.
For $6000, I don’t want “well”, I want SOTA.
I happen to think it is a little light on features for the money, and a better-performing separates combination could be bought for less, but that is a separate conversation.
For $6000, you can have a very good conversation. The markup to get everything into a single box is really massive.

MKR

Major Contributor
Check this out for a high value one box solution… my son uses it to drive his Revel F35s and the results are excellent. The Play-fi UI is also well done. Nice piece of kit that is not very well known … would love to see this one reviewed by Amir

CHenry

Check this out for a high value one box solution… my son uses it to drive his Revel F35s and the results are excellent. The Play-fi UI is also well done. Nice piece of kit that is not very well known … would love to see this one reviewed by Amir

Someone has to send him one. Cheapaudioman's YT channel raved about it, large feature set with good performance, but he doesn't do any objective testing.

OP
R

Riva

Hello all!

Okay I did the silly thing. I actually agree the H390 doesn’t have all the features of other high-end integrated amps like the NAD, and it’s quite a bit of cash. But for me, it’s right. I started comparing custom separates routes, and measure-perfect amps and I was just drawn to some of the other subjective reviews of the h390 and up, and the crazy dampening factor which I swear makes the bass amaze balls. This combo is by far the best thing I have heard, that I’ve owned. Now, the bar isn’t incredibly high with my Def Tech Dolby Atmos, Marantz and some SVS Ultra Towers But it’s just amazing to me. Of course I’m likely to say that after dropping this much cash.

Anyway, I want to thank everyone, and I went on quite a journey to come to this decision. It’s definitely not the last audio gear I’m buying. Right now, the Hegel H390 and Kef R3 Metas sound GREAT in my room, and I look forward to turning them on every time. So much so, I subscribed to Tidal, Qobuz, Roon and Apple Music

Thank you!!!

MKR

Major Contributor
Hello all!

Okay I did the silly thing. I actually agree the H390 doesn’t have all the features of other high-end integrated amps like the NAD, and it’s quite a bit of cash. But for me, it’s right. I started comparing custom separates routes, and measure-perfect amps and I was just drawn to some of the other subjective reviews of the h390 and up, and the crazy dampening factor which I swear makes the bass amaze balls. This combo is by far the best thing I have heard, that I’ve owned. Now, the bar isn’t incredibly high with my Def Tech Dolby Atmos, Marantz and some SVS Ultra Towers But it’s just amazing to me. Of course I’m likely to say that after dropping this much cash.

Anyway, I want to thank everyone, and I went on quite a journey to come to this decision. It’s definitely not the last audio gear I’m buying. Right now, the Hegel H390 and Kef R3 Metas sound GREAT in my room, and I look forward to turning them on every time. So much so, I subscribed to Tidal, Qobuz, Roon and Apple Music

Thank you!!!
Happy you found what you like, but “subjective” amp reviews and DF is audiophoolery …

OP
R

Riva

I know, I know…but it’s just so dampened.

CHenry

Hello all!

Thank you!!!
[Bolds mine]
I think you will be fine from the standpoint of your needs and expectations, a very good quality integrated amp now for your R3 Metas and possibly later for different speakers. Going for more power costs more, going for the integrated amp costs more, but it will be available when you need it. I hope you enjoy your purchase, and FWIW, I happen to think it is a reasonable choice. Hegel seems to hold value well on resale, from what I have seen.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Which sub-$2000 integrated amp? The OP is looking at the H-390 not only for a present KEF R3 Meta use case but as a "future-proof" amp for use with other, presumably more demanding speakers. Certainly a less-expensive lower-powered integrated from any number of makers could deliver excellent sound from the KEFs, but the OP has additional objectives. I am not recommending the H-390, but I think that it would perform well. I happen to think it is a little light on features for the money, and a better-performing separates combination could be bought for less, but that is a separate conversation.

At present, Peachtree has dropped pricing on its Carina integrated to $1600, which also has an internal DAC more advanced than the Hegel has and using Hypex NCore, throws in a headphone amp, and of course 300W at 8R.
Get a 2000 amp or even less and spent the difference on even better speakers to begin with. Much better bang for the buck. But hey … not my money.

Hello all!

Thank you!!!
Congrats on your new set up. I have the R3 Metas myself and I’m thinking of a different amp to drive them. You may well find that you never need to upgrade either. I didn’t see what you are using to stream to the Hegel.

Top Bottom