• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Will the Hegel H390 overpower the Kef R3 Meta's?

Riva

Hello!

I am getting the Hegel H390 soon, and also a pair of Kef R3 Metas. The Metas are rated for 180W and the Hegel pumps out 250W. Am I going to break the Kefs with an overpowered amp?

Audio newb here, so thank you!

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Short answer: no. Longer answer: nooooo :D

Seriously, just listen, and don't turn it way up to the point you hear distortion. Unless you have little kids that will do that (or inebriated "friends") you're fine.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Not if you don’t turn up the volume too loud. But this is also the case with a lose power amp. A clipping amp can always damage speakers.

Anyway, why spend so much money on an amp? The amp is 2.5x the price of the speakers. Seems like a massive waste…

For that kind of combined money you can get a pair of Genelec 8351. Saves you the amp and DAC and end up with a better speaker overall.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not if you don’t turn up the volume too loud. But this is also the case with a lose power amp. A clipping amp can always damage speakers.

Anyway, why spend so much money on an amp? Seems like a waste…
They don't look bad at all, but yeah, kinda pricey.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
They don't look bad at all, but yeah, kinda pricey.
Looks doesn’t tell you anything. The one Hegel amp tested by ASR wasn’t very good:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks doesn’t tell you anything. The one Hegel amp tested by ASR wasn’t very good:

Hmmm. Yeah, sucktastic. Well, they claim 0.005% THD for the H390.

OP
R

Riva

Awesome, thank you.

Yeah the amp is future proofing for other speakers, and I have some SVS Ultra Towers and 200W rated B&W speakers. I want an amp that’s a little over powered for fun sake, but noted that the Kefs were also 4 Ω (min. 3.2 Ω) nominal, so I was a little nervous. Kefs are reported to go well with Hegels in terms of synergy, but the speaker / amp combos are usually a closer match than this will be.

OP
R

Riva

LoL thank you.
Short answer: no. Longer answer: nooooo :D

Seriously, just listen, and don't turn it way up to the point you hear distortion. Unless you have little kids that will do that (or inebriated "friends") you're fine.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah the amp is future proofing for other speakers, and I have some SVS Ultra Towers and 200W rated B&W speakers. I want an amp that’s a little over powered for fun sake, but noted that the Kefs were also 4 Ω (min. 3.2 Ω) nominal, so I was a little nervous.
You can get plenty of better amps for far less money. Spending it on speakers is a much better investment sound quality wise.
Kefs are reported to go well with Hegels in terms of synergy, but the speaker / amp combos are usually a closer match than this will be.
They are from the same family of companies. I would also say it if I could sell two products instead of one.

OP
R

Riva

Yeah folks say even up to the h190 it’s a different ballgame. The h190 is supposed to be decent, but the h390/590 take it to another level.

Last edited:
OP
R

Riva

You can get plenty of better amps for far less money. Spending it on speakers is a much better investment sound quality wise.

They are from the same family of companies. I would also say it if I could sell two products instead of one.
Awesome. I don’t really need to choose, so if you have great speaker synergy suggestions, or the better amps for less money, let me know!

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Check out the review index: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/asrdata/ElectronicsallList

It all depends on the needed feature as well. You can also go for a power amp and a DAC if you only play digital sources. You can also get a DAC or amp with room correction. That would actually elevate the system to the next level.

As for synergy: that’s mostly a myth. An amp is not an EQ instrument. It just amplifies and most are good enough, probably even the Hegel. Any decent amp works with any speaker. If it doesn’t sound good, it’s the speaker, not the amp.

OP
R

Riva

Check out the review index: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/asrdata/ElectronicsallList

It all depends on the needed feature as well. You can also go for a power amp and a DAC if you only play digital sources. You can also get a DAC or amp with room correction. That would actually elevate the system to the next level.

As for synergy: that’s mostly a myth. An amp is not an EQ instrument. It just amplifies and most are good enough, probably even the Hegel. Any decent amp works with any speaker. If it doesn’t sound good, it’s the speaker, not the amp.
Awesome, thank you and good to know. I hear all these folks saying one amp has a better sound stage, is warmer, or more clinical blah, blah. I’m new, so I don’t know how much to read into it. Thanks for the link, I’ll check it out.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Anyway, why spend so much money on an amp? The amp is 2.5x the price of the speakers. Seems like a massive waste…

For that kind of combined money you can get a pair of Genelec 8351. Saves you the amp and DAC and end up with a better speaker overall.
I second this choice.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
As far as SINAD at 5W the Hegel amps in general are green good, but not excellent. Add the price and the deal is not so good. Not terrible too, just think there are better options out there.

IMO an RME ADI-2 DAC fs + NCx500 amp for around 2.5k USD is a lot better in both technical performance, power and features. And use the price difference to get a streamer and a subwoofer.

OP
R

Riva

Oh great thank you for the amp advice. I do like high end gear, aesthetics matter to me, but clearly performance matters more.

If there are other good stack or separate options I should consider I’d love to hear about them.

I’ll check out these recommendations.

OP
R

Riva

As far as SINAD at 5W the Hegel amps in general are green good, but not excellent. Add the price and the deal is not so good. Not terrible too, just think there are better options out there.

IMO an RME ADI-2 DAC fs + NCx500 amp for around 2.5k USD is a lot better in both technical performance, power and features. And use the price difference to get a streamer and a subwoofer.
This amp is veeeeery interesting thank you again. Anymore gems out there you’d recommend let me m is. I don’t mind going up in price a bit, but I definitely would like good value for the money.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If you want a nice chassis for you amp consider Boxem or Apollon as well, maybe their Purifi amps too. If you have the space, with the money spared you can even get a tower speaker like R5/R7 Meta maybe, and use the subwoofer cut really low (if needed at all).

OP
R

Riva

If you want a nice chassis for you amp consider Boxem or Apollon as well, maybe their Purifi amps too. If you have the space, with the money spared you can even get a tower speaker like R5/R7 Meta maybe, and use the subwoofer cut really low (if needed at all).
Awesome. Thank you I’ll check those out!

OP
R

Riva

@Matias your advice has been awesome. I’d love to ask a few more questions. I just want your opinion, I know some of this may be personal taste.

Both Boxem and Apollon look great. Any reason to choose one over the other quality wise? I’m not too concerned with price.

Is there any reason to choose Purifi vs. Hypex?

Is there anything to this class A or A/B snobbery? Like any reason a D class amp would be worse than those?

Any reason the Benchmark ABH2 would be better than these (just looking at all the buzz there) as it’s a bit pricier.

I really like the idea of saving a few bucks and getting high bang for buck, but will also probably get the best those companies offer.

Thanks for considering all of this :)

Top Bottom