• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Pro Streamer

Narnian

I noticed when the Tidal Connect would stop updating what was playing on the screen the WIIM app on the phone was still showing the progress.

I was interested in implementing Retired_Guy‘s GitHub project to make a Raspberry Pi display of want the WIIM was playing but this made me wonder …

So I set an iPad running the WIIM app on top of the amp and ran Tidal Connect from my phone and it is updating nicely. If it works I will just use an old iPad.

1672255933580.jpeg

artishard116

I noticed when the Tidal Connect would stop updating what was playing on the screen the WIIM app on the phone was still showing the progress.

I was interested in implementing Retired_Guy‘s GitHub project to make a Raspberry Pi display of want the WIIM was playing but this made me wonder …

So I set an iPad running the WIIM app on top of the amp and ran Tidal Connect from my phone and it is updating nicely. If it works I will just use an old iPad.
Now, if only there were a well-designed landscape mode...

AudioScience Enthusiast

Hi everyone, I am so excited for Wiim Pro to get Roon support.

In the meantime, I wonder how it supports DSD files? Will it be able to "passthrough" DSD files to my SMSL DO200 DAC downstream that is capable of DSD512?

I guess the worst case scenario is to use Roon be send DSD over PCM (DoP)?

Atanasi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
In the meantime, I wonder how it supports DSD files? Will it be able to "passthrough" DSD files to my SMSL DO200 DAC downstream that is capable of DSD512?

I guess the worst case scenario is to use Roon be send DSD over PCM (DoP)?
S/PDIF supports only DoP64, and Wiim's internal DAC doesn't probably support DSD.

BDE

Dear all, I got some feedback from Wiim regarding Dirac that I really like!
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that there will be an agreement in future. :D

We will check with Dirac Live in the future and check how to implement it.
Regarding the PEQ, we are still developing it and please stay tuned!

Best,
WiiM Support

AudioScience Enthusiast

Dear all, I got some feedback from Wiim regarding Dirac that I really like!
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that there will be an agreement in future. :D
If they can manage this, it would be amazing. But it will probably require a new processor inside a new WiiM Ultra/Max type device in the future, which I am willing to support!

Reactions: BDE

BDE

If they can manage this, it would be amazing. But it will probably require a new processor inside a new WiiM Ultra/Max type device in the future, which I am willing to support!
If a new platform is necessary I would also follow (maybe with build in XLR DAC). However the Wiim Pro is already fine for the sope of function.

Much higher price due to Dirac license cost.
Additional costs for a Dirac update would be more exact. But for me this addon costs are fine for that software (with all those updates).

ClassicGuy

Really wish it supports USB DACs. I can then use the $8 Apple dongle with it.

As of now, for each Wiim device I deploy, I need an optical DAC to go with it as well ($100+).

dweekie

Just got the WiiM Pro and it works great. Currently it's set up for roon and HiFicast with Chromecast without any issues. I'm using one of these cables for coax digital to my dac as it's super short and flexible without tilting back the device. https://a.co/d/7qRVwbB
The biggest negative for me are those touch sensitive buttons. Every device I've had with these types of buttons have failed on me over time, but at least this device can function without using them.

ClassicGuy

Assuming you do not want to use the internal DAC?
Impulse purchase aside, many of these cheap optical DACs are unfortunately not as good as the Apple dongle, so there is still benefit to supporting USB DACs.

In terms of using the Wiim internal DAC, I feel I might as well skip the Wiim entirely, because the internal DAC does not offer significant sonic advantage over typical Bluetooth streaming.

AudioScience Enthusiast

Impulse purchase aside, many of these cheap optical DACs are unfortunately not as good as the Apple dongle, so there is still benefit to supporting USB DACs.

In terms of using the Wiim internal DAC, I feel I might as well skip the Wiim entirely, because the internal DAC does not offer significant sonic advantage over typical Bluetooth streaming.
Do you use Roon? If yes, Wiim serves as a good and cheap endpoint for capable DACs, like in my case.

Normally I would build a RiP4 but it's not available right now due to supply issues so Wiim Pro is a good alternative, plus it has great support.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Really wish it supports USB DACs. I can then use the $8 Apple dongle with it.

As of now, for each Wiim device I deploy, I need an optical DAC to go with it as well ($100+).
Are you sure you need to? it is not up there with the best measuring dacs. But its imperfections are still likely to be inaudible. It measures better than the external soundcard ive used for years, and i couldn’t nt hear any issues with that. I only changed to get dsp.

Smartplug

Does anyone here use quoboz using chromecast? Is it sound good?

derek13

Does anyone here use quoboz using chromecast? Is it sound good?
Qobuz works fine on Chromecast, but as mentioned elsewhere it caps at 24/96 whereas played from within WiiM App it can play at 24/192. You must remember to set the default for Qobuz within the WiiM App by going choosing browse > Qobuz then menu > streaming > set 24/192

Smartplug

Qobuz works fine on Chromecast, but as mentioned elsewhere it caps at 24/96 whereas played from within WiiM App it can play at 24/192. You must remember to set the default for Qobuz within the WiiM App by going choosing browse > Qobuz then menu > streaming > set 24/192
Was there sound quality difference between chromecast 24/96 vs wiim app 24/96?

Top Bottom