• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Pro Plus Streamer Review

Rate this streamer/DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 60 17.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 273 80.1%

• Total voters

Petevid

Just one question regarding the mini: if you use it as a wifi / airplay 2 transmitter, connecting it to an external dac via optical, it does a good job, doesn't it?
Yes it does albeit it streams at airplay 2 spec which does seem to concern some users.

totti1965

@amirm Is this sample of the plus quite old? Apparently there is a new pcb version that fixes the low frequency distortion.
Should be able to check the version using
The link doesn‘t work. Is there information out there, about the serial number when they made the fix?
I bought mine in November and since it had not roon then it was on tour at my friends in Germany until last week.
Roon works beautiful now (I guess since Christmas) and the best thing is:
Today I found out how to stream the audio of YouTube videos via chromecast with my iPad
(first I thought that this would be only possible with android devices!)!!!
Watching YouTube videos pretty much the normal way is 100 times more fun than the SonosTube App!

totti1965

Hello everybody; long time reader, first time poster.

My name is Bernardo García and I'm a music lover and home audio enthusiast (I don't call myself an"audiophile"); I've been learning a lot from reading your posts, and slowly assembling my humble audio system, funds permitting.

Probably this has been discussed before, and if so, please excuse me but reading 30 pages is a bit too much. I already own a Schiit Modi+ (I don't know what model, I purchased it in August last year). I'd like to know if the internal DAC of the Wiim Pro Plus is as good as the Modi+ or if I just get the Wiim Pro and connect it to my DAC.

Thank you for your help, guys. My wife told me that she wants to buy either the Wiim Pro or Wiim Pro Plus as my birthday present and I'd like her to spend her money wisely.
But most important thing are the speakers. Take a look at Spinorama.org for more science and preference curves and Equalisation of speakers.
They have now about 1000 speakers in their database!
I saved a lot of money by buying an Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2 speaker and doing the equalization with Roon according to the suggestions of Spinorama.org
The speaker was EUR 250,— /pair and it sounds (with equalization) better than many speakers 10 times as expensive!

Because of the pretty good sound of the WiiM Pro Plus D/A conversion, I would think also about selling the Schiit and ordering the pro Plus. They have great Software-Guys in their research and development team. This is pretty much like Linn or Sonos 10 years ago or so and makes the thing completely futureproof.

terryforsythe

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

totti1965

In your WiiM app, select the icon that looks like a gear for your WiiM Pro plus, then select "Network status", then find your "IP" address.

Then, replace x.x.x.x in the command with your WiiM's IP address. E.g., if your WiiM's IP address is 192.168.1.50, in your browser you would enter:

https://192.168.1.50/httpapi.asp?command=getStatusEx
Oh! Thank you very much!

Has this info something to say?
Newer or older device?

"kernel_verinfo": "#1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Oct 16 11:28:17 CST 2023"

Thanks!

Thorsten

terryforsythe

Forum Donor
Oh! Thank you very much!

Has this info something to say?
Newer or older device?

"kernel_verinfo": "#1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Oct 16 11:28:17 CST 2023"

Thanks!

Thorsten
My understanding (I could be wrong) is that units with version 3 of the PC board have the fix. If my understanding is correct, you will be looking for this:

"PCB_version": "3"

With my web browser fully maximized, it is on the second line down, all the way too the left. Depending on your browser and scaling, it may be on the first line, or perhaps farther to the right on the second line. If you have really large font, it may be further down.

staticV3

Master Contributor
My understanding (I could be wrong) is that units with version 3 of the PC board have the fix. If my understanding is correct, you will be looking for this:

"PCB_version": "3"

With my web browser fully maximized, it is on the second line down, all the way too the left. Depending on your browser and scaling, it may be on the first line, or perhaps farther to the right on the second line. If you have really large font, it may be further down.
No need to search line-by-line.

Just do CTRL+F or CMD+F and type "PCB_". It'll jump to the right line automatically.

Brantome

Major Contributor
Just one question regarding the mini: if you use it as a wifi / airplay 2 transmitter, connecting it to an external dac via optical, it does a good job, doesn't it?
The WiiM Mini doesn't support Airplay casting - that's only available on the devices further up the chain like the Pro, Pro Plus and Amp.

mgood

I have a pair of Dali Callisto 2C active speakers coming my way. There is a Sound Hub Compact included in the package which transfers audio wirelessly to the speakers. Sadly the Sound Hub Compact does not incorporate Spotify Connect or Airplay, which are the two protocols I use. I plan on getting a Wiim Pro Plus to connect either to the sound hub via optical or directly to the speakers. The input on the speakers are ADC - in my understanding they only accept an analog signal, which gets converted to digital in the speakers.

So, in short, there are two options:

Wiim Pro Plus optical to the sound hub. Pro: keeps the signal digital all the way to the speakers. Con: introduces two sets of volume control.

Wiim Pro Plus analog straight to the speakers. Pros: one less component, only one volume control (volume on the speakers are disabled in this mode). Con: D to A to D signal conversion.

Which setup would you prefer?

Regards,
Mattias

Last edited:

Gambertuni

Forum Donor
The WiiM Mini doesn't support Airplay casting - that's only available on the devices further up the chain like the Pro, Pro Plus and Amp.
Thank you for your response!
I am not sure thay I understand exactly what you mean (what does the word "casting" mean in this context?)

Right now I am using the Wiim-Mini with my I-Pad and it is connected through Air-Play 2 (or at least that is what it says)

Wiim specifies on its website that the Wiim Mini delivers "bit exact" sound when you use one of the music apps embedded on the Wiim App - once again, this might be true or not, but this is what they say...

Brantome

Major Contributor
Thank you for your response!
I am not sure thay I understand exactly what you mean (what does the word "casting" mean in this context?)

Right now I am using the Wiim-Mini with my I-Pad and it is connected through Air-Play 2 (or at least that is what it says)

Wiim specifies on its website that the Wiim Mini delivers "bit exact" sound when you use one of the music apps embedded on the Wiim App - once again, this might be true or not, but this is what they say...
By casting I mean sending or transmitting I.e. sending the audio the WiiM device is playing to a target device using Airplay. The WiiM Mini is an Airplay 2 receiver, not transmitter/receiver like its siblings.

All WiiM devices are bit perfect. I personally prefer to interpret that as meaning they don’t make any /unwanted/ changes to the stream they receive within the constraints of the output it uses. So if it receives a 16/44.1 file, that’s what it outputs. Same if it receives a 24/192 track, that’s what it will output if the external device supports that. Those who own external DACs that can do a bit perfect test have proved this.

Of course, it’s no longer bit perfect if /you choose/ to apply EQ/PEQ, mono, non-fixed volume, volume limits etc.

Gambertuni

Forum Donor
By casting I mean sending or transmitting I.e. sending the audio the WiiM device is playing to a target device using Airplay. The WiiM Mini is an Airplay 2 receiver, not transmitter/receiver like its siblings.

All WiiM devices are bit perfect. I personally prefer to interpret that as meaning they don’t make any /unwanted/ changes to the stream they receive within the constraints of the output it uses. So if it receives a 16/44.1 file, that’s what it outputs. Same if it receives a 24/192 track, that’s what it will output if the external device supports that. Those who own external DACs that can do a bit perfect test have proved this.

Of course, it’s no longer bit perfect if /you choose/ to apply EQ/PEQ, mono, non-fixed volume, volume limits etc.
Thanks, that was helpful!

WDeranged

I'm consdering a Pro Plus for streaming FLAC files over my network. Either through DLNA or direct network sharing from my Windows PC. I remember people saying the Wiim was lacking in this area. How are things now?

terryforsythe

Forum Donor
I'm consdering a Pro Plus for streaming FLAC files over my network. Either through DLNA or direct network sharing from my Windows PC. I remember people saying the Wiim was lacking in this area. How are things now?
It should work accordingly to WiiM: https://faq.wiimhome.com/support/so...:~:text=You can do this by,on your PC to play.

You might need to add the Media feature pack for Windows: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...indows-n-8622b390-4ce6-43c9-9b42-549e5328e407

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
DLNA works fine for me. I use minidlna with Debian as the server.

WDeranged

Thanks for the replies. I'll pick one up next time I'm feeling generous towards myself.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I also use DLNA from JRiver and it's fine.

Top Bottom