• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wi-Fi againt Ethernet ?

PenguinMusic

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi,

Having a streamer (the Shanling EA5) that can retrieve files from Wi-Fi or Ethernet, I was wondering if there is any audible difference between the files retrieved over Wi-Fi compared to the files retrieved directly from the NAS using an Etherne tconnection.

I must say that I trust Ehternet more than Wi-Fi, but it seems the Shanling EA5 has some problems with Ehterne tso wanted to try it with Wi-Fi...

Any thoughts would be appreciated :)

Regards.

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you wifi is functioning properly, there is absolutely, positively, no difference. If it is not functioning properly, it will not be a subtle degradation a la "the bass isn't as forward." You will experience dropouts

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Assuming no "glitches" its just digital data (numbers). ...Your bank account balance isn't better over a "better connection". :D These forum posts go all over the world over all kinds of connections and if there is a spelling error here in my post you can be sure it's my mistake, not data corruption!

The difference is, audio (and video) are real-time and if the data is delayed/interrupted/corrupted and the buffer runs-out of data before it can catch-up or get corrected, you get a dropout or glitch in your audio. This is usually an obvious defect... You don't get a "loss of detail" or any of that "audiophile nonsense".

oleg87

Unless the streamer’s firmware is heroically mis-engineered, all your files will end up as identical crc-checked chunks of data before they are sent on their way to the decoder.

OP
P

PenguinMusic

Hi guys,

Thanks a lot for your answers.

I assume that goes for Wi-Fi as the files are sent with no re-encoding.

But that is not valid for Bluetooth that uses a "codec" to send files (probably because of limited bandwidth).

But that is really nice to know... even though less important as I sent back the device concerned for a refund. It was a nice Shanling EA5 all-in-one product but too many software glitches.

Regards.

DSJR

Major Contributor
If you wifi is functioning properly, there is absolutely, positively, no difference. If it is not functioning properly, it will not be a subtle degradation a la "the bass isn't as forward." You will experience dropouts
I was going to say the same thing. Due to the location of our router, which is supposed to be up to date as supplied by our (fibre) broadband company, we have to use wireless and the dropouts when streaming music to my Chromcast Audio via our phones is terrible sometimes. Interestingly, the Chromecasts I was given recently plus a new Google TV sample I bought recently, are much better streaming programmes from iPlayer, ITVX and so on, so feck knows what's going on in this house!

It's always been suggested to me to use wired via ethernet if possible and if this can be done without wholesale distruption, I'd suggest to go that route. Forget effin' *sound quality* as it either works or it doesn't - believe me, I KNOW this!!! :D

P.S. I keep meaning to do it but I'm going to move the VVA just now to see how that works better next time!

delta76

Major Contributor
how can wifi replace those audiophile network switches https://twitteringmachines.com/a-list-of-audiophile-network-switches/ ? How can they transfer tighter bass and wider imaging?

j/k

wifi or ethernet does not matter as long as you have stable connection - i.e. with relatively short distance and not too thick walls in between. 2.4Ghz works better for that as it can penetrates walls better, and you'd never need 5Ghz for audio only

of course avoid bluetooth

OP
P

PenguinMusic

how can wifi replace those audiophile network switches https://twitteringmachines.com/a-list-of-audiophile-network-switches/ ? How can they transfer tighter bass and wider imaging?

j/k

wifi or ethernet does not matter as long as you have stable connection - i.e. with relatively short distance and not too thick walls in between. 2.4Ghz works better for that as it can penetrates walls better, and you'd never need 5Ghz for audio only

Indeed,

There is NO WAY a free wireless connection can ever replace those audiophile network switches.

I mean if they sell for up to 3.5k€ they MUST sounds good do they not ?

People building those know what they're doing and would NEVER try to sell placebo.

So wired with a switch it is...

If you can provide a link to an Ethernet audiophile cable that sells for 450€/f I will upgrade my system with those too...

Regards

OP
P

PenguinMusic

Considering my experience with DAPs and streamers, I wouldn't put that past any of 'em
Believe me, I've had a couple of streamers. Their firmware was not heroically miss engineered...

That was way beyond heroism... It can be mythically flawed !!!
As an example I can give the shanlng EA5 : superb hardware, catastrophically mis engineered software!
Only thing they managed to do right is to forbid to use the device with third party software...

BlackTalon

Forum Donor

j/k

But my system sounds much faster with 5GHz! With 2.4 the leading attack of notes seems soooo sloooooooow. It robs the music of most of its life.

j/k

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
But my system sounds much faster with 5GHz! With 2.4 the leading attack of notes seems soooo sloooooooow. It robs the music of most of its life.

j/k
Lol. I was waiting for this. :D

Sooner or later some audiophool will spin the tale that certain Wi-Fi frequencies and protocols sound better than others and probably come out with a special Audio Wi-Fi antenna which will lift all the veils and amazes all the wifes listening in from the kitchen if you shell out several k.

Top Bottom