• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAS for newbie

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The NAS is just a computer running Linux. If the appropriate modules are loaded USB device should just work. Obviously you’ll also need some software to play the audio files. But in theory, a modern NAS should not have any problems with any of this.

killdozzer

Major Contributor
The NAS is just a computer running Linux. If the appropriate modules are loaded USB device should just work. Obviously you’ll also need some software to play the audio files. But in theory, a modern NAS should not have any problems with any of this.
Thank you very much. That's very comforting. I'll keep digging for someone in my situation to see if they got it to work.

Usually USB-B means it'll install something on your computer once plugged in, does this maybe change something? In theory, if I get a cheap, portable USB-DAC to work, I should be able to make the MiniDSP work, right?

I'm asking because that way I could avoid paying too much for something I would have to return or hassle with.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Usually USB-B means it'll install something on your computer once plugged in, does this maybe change something?
USB-B is usually to connect the device with the B-connector to a PC (or similar). What specific NAS are we talking about?

In theory, if I get a cheap, portable USB-DAC to work, I should be able to make the MiniDSP work, right?
Yes, that is likely. Although some of the cheap ones are only UAC1, so not a perfect match.

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
They keep repeating NAS is not a streaming device. I'm not critiquing, they were very patient, but I already knew this and didn't really see it as pertinent to my situation.
Technically, they are not wrong. When Network Attached Storage first appeared, they were there a way to serve storage blocks via SMB protocol without needing a WindowsNT server. Effectively "host-free" block storage

NAS products have evolved in their own right to be a hosts for other services.

killdozzer

Major Contributor
USB-B is usually to connect the device with the B-connector to a PC (or similar). What specific NAS are we talking about?

Yes, that is likely. Although some of the cheap ones are only UAC1, so not a perfect match.
Thank you. This is the model (but it's a version lower than 7.0, so by now I haven't still lost certain features)

killdozzer

Major Contributor
Technically, they are not wrong. When Network Attached Storage first appeared, they were there a way to serve storage blocks via SMB protocol without needing a WindowsNT server. Effectively "host-free" block storage

NAS products have evolved in their own right to be a hosts for other services.
Sure, I never said they were wrong. I just think they kept repeating something non-pertinent however true.

This is why I thought that: someone here said they are using a dongle USB-DAC connected directly to the NAS. Now, if the issue with NAS was that it's not a streaming device, then dongles shouldn't work either for that same reason. My question was; if it's on the NAS side, why do some devices work and others not.

(*I'll have to find the comment where someone said they're using a dongle. Maybe there was something different about their systems. I'll try.)

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
Sure, I never said they were wrong. I just think they kept repeating something non-pertinent however true.

This is why I thought that: someone here said they are using a dongle USB-DAC connected directly to the NAS. Now, if the issue with NAS was that it's not a streaming device, then dongles shouldn't work either for that same reason. My question was; if it's on the NAS side, why do some devices work and others not.

(*I'll have to find the comment where someone said they're using a dongle. Maybe there was something different about their systems. I'll try.)
The NAS needs:
1. To operate as an USB Host
2. To expose a USB Audio driver supporting UAC1 or UAC2 for a DAC (dongle or box) to understand.

Neither of these are essential aspects of a NETWORK Attached Storage.

It also needs an a application stack above the storage to read its internal blocks as audio files (not just generic storage blocks), and to present choices to the user via the management console to find and pour these blocks into the audio driver. As before, not an essential NAS function.

The vendor will have to decide if this capability is worth developing and adding and whether it's going to give it a competitive edge that it can charge money for

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The NAS needs:
2. To expose a USB Audio driver supporting UAC1 or UAC2 for a DAC (dongle or box) to understand.

It also needs an a application stack above the storage to read its internal blocks as audio files (not just generic storage blocks), and to present choices to the user via the management console to find and pour these blocks into the audio driver. As before, not an essential NAS function.

The vendor will have to decide if this capability is worth developing and adding and whether it's going to give it a competitive edge that it can charge money for
Bear in mind that these Nas devices now offer a whold bunch of added value services, including media serving - and for some at least media playaback.

That makes it not unreasonable to have some expectations - especially when particular functinallity has been offered in earlier versions.

Synology's closest competitor (QNAP) even offer HDMI output for video playback.

killdozzer

Major Contributor
The NAS needs:

And you also seem to excel at non-pertinent and if you ever need a letter of recommendation to get a job at MiniDSP customer service, count on me! :D

Don't get mad. This was just for a joke. really.

But what I wanted to say is that all of what you wrote still doesn't explain why would a dongle work and not a MiniDSP. Because all of what you wrote still concerns NAS lacking functions and somehow a dongle doesn't mind and sees beyond all those shortcomings and loves the NAS for who he really is.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you. This is the model (but it's a version lower than 7.0, so by now I haven't still lost certain features)
I mean the NAS hardware model ;)

killdozzer

Major Contributor
Ah, found it. And my memory DID betray me once again.

Here it is:
Why would you not connect the NAS directly to a miniDSP?
You said earlier, unless I misunderstand, that you want to connect your NAS to your amplifier by using a USB DAC. Why not get the miniDSP HD and just use it's USB DAC?

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
Bear in mind that these Nas devices now offer a whold bunch of added value services, including media serving - and for some at least media playaback.

That makes it not unreasonable to have some expectations - especially when particular functinallity has been offered in earlier versions.

Synology's closest competitor (QNAP) even offer HDMI output for video playback.
I agree with all your points: it's doable, the competition do it, previous generations did it.

I have a "mature" Synology NAS which is great at SMB block storage services and has some non-NAS media services running on top that my phone can exploit. But it lacks processor and memory grunt to do much else. I get Synology news updates and they are more focused on enterprise capabilities, rather than domestic functionality. I wonder if perhaps they see more profit in the data centre environment...

killdozzer

Major Contributor
I mean the NAS hardware model ;)
Ah, sorry! Wrong link. It's Synology NAS DS220j
1699782802296.png

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
And you also seem to excel at non-pertinent and if you ever need a letter of recommendation to get a job at MiniDSP customer service, count on me! :D

Don't get mad. This was just for a joke. really.

But what I wanted to say is that all of what you wrote still doesn't explain why would a dongle work and not a MiniDSP. Because all of what you wrote still concerns NAS lacking functions and somehow a dongle doesn't mind and sees beyond all those shortcomings and loves the NAS for who he really is.
I'll be brief. I think dongle DACs, box-based DACs and miniDSP all need UAC1/2 facilities (although dongles need to deal with phone specifics). I think pure NAS devices don't support that. But I expect some enhanced NAS do. This is not a feature I've required, but I'm sure someone, somewhere has a list of NAS+ products which do.

killdozzer

Major Contributor
Those look like normal USB host ports to me. You must have some USB audio device at home to test with?
I have to think... I have a Bluetooth USB emitter... And it has a 3,5 jack out... and I have a 3,5 > RCA adapter...

Nah, that wouldn't work. USB is just for power in this case.

Later Edit: I'm arriving home tomorrow, I'll see what is at my disposal.

Last edited:

killdozzer

Major Contributor
Those look like normal USB host ports to me. You must have some USB audio device at home to test with?
I'm thinking of this:

If I don't find anything else at home, it's a cheap test and I think I could resell easily. It's in my native language, but even if you don't use a translator, the pics have notes in English. You can just skim through those if you're interested.

I know I'd need a USB-C to USB-A adapter, but I'll find something.

benanders

Getting a $550 device (FLEX) to do what the $1,300 device (SHD) will do seems counterintuitive of miniDSP to facilitate.
That's the wrong way around.
No, it’s not. You have the cheaper miniDSP hardware. miniDSP clearly states the costlier model does what you intend, not the model you bought. Why would they see fit to facilitate otherwise?
You seem to be at least partly disregarding there are two proprietary software suites you’re trying to pair, as you went with two ready-made solutions for NAS + DSP. I don’t think it’s just a “USB dongle worked so any DAC will work” scenario.
This seems like as much a convo to have with Synology as with miniDSP - have you even contacted Synology?

Top Bottom