• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why not eliminate the input buffer? (And a big thanks to March Audio!)

stoyania

Nah, his specs were basically fine.

He was banned because he always had to have the last word in every argument causing threads to degenerate into uselessness and antagonized Amir and the mods when they asked him to stop.
thanks for the clarification!

one more question if I may: is there any better hardware in the March audio Purifi amp to justify about $500 (base buffer models compared) more than the VTV amp?

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
one more question if I may: is there any better hardware in the March audio Purifi amp to justify about $500 (base buffer models compared) more than the VTV amp?

IIRC, there was some sort of controversy regarding the VTV's chassis originally not being properly grounded but supposedly fixed in newly made ones, plus general concerns/complaints about the VTV's build quality. I don't remember any audio performance issues from it using the regular Purifi buffers. There's a thread here on ASR somewhere.

The fit that MarchAudio threw after being perma-banned (coming back with a new account to complain and dozens of posts in the 24 hours Amir gave him to hang himself) makes me not want to buy anything from him, but from the pics I've seen his build quality is far superior to VTV's.

This is all from skimming threads here, so you may want to search around yourself or wait and see if anyone who more thoroughly researched will chime in.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
The fit that MarchAudio threw after being perma-banned (coming back with a new account to complain and dozens of posts in the 24 hours Amir gave him to hang himself) makes me not want to buy anything from him, but from the pics I've seen his build quality is far superior to VTV's.

I think that absolute Trainwreck of a thread is gone from ASR. It sure will go down in ASR history for people who were there, huh?

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think that absolute Trainwreck of a thread is gone from ASR. It sure will go down in ASR history for people who were there, huh?
The p452 I have is a very well executed product. I have no idea why he doesn’t post his measurements publicly either, the buffer measurements he showed me are more transparent than the eval1 buffer. I won’t post them here, sleeping dogs and all that. At the end of the day some people should just keep off of forums etc, not everyone has the temperament.

Last edited:

redshift

Addicted to Fun and Learning
There are a few reasons I see:

1) Years of conditioning of "Audiophiles" that studio equipment is "cold", "sterile", "lifeless".
2) Most systems use RCA, not XLR. It is only in the last few years we are starting to see a lot of components come with true differential balanced connectors.
3) You still get over 100 db sn ratios from RCA connectors which far exceeds most audiophile components.
4) The noise issues in studio components are more important due to them 1) operating in noisier electrical environments, 2) longer runs, and 3) the long component chains from the initial recording from the mics to the final mix, which may result in the signal going through dozens of devices. Each device degrades the sounds slightly, so the more you can prevent this, the better the final mix. In a home environment, you are going through only a few devices. This is also the reason that is makes sense to do all mixing at a 24bit depth, but for the final product distribute in a 16 bit format.
5) Most "Audiophiles" aren't really concerned about taking a systematic approach to improving the sound they hear. They want the mystic and magic of tweaks here and there and the "changes" that component swapping give to tune the system. Buying good equipment, speakers that work for the room, measuring and using DSP, and treating the room as needed is comparatively boring. If you work in pro sound your goal is different, you want a reliable, repeatable systems. Time spent tweaking and changing things out is money lost.

I think it makes sense to use 24 bit/192kHz recorded audio on the playback side as well since gear these days employ DSP’s and rather good DAC’s.

However; 16 bits is enough when the signal is sound pressure waves in your room.

Top Bottom