• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why isn't tweeter height talked about more?

Holmz

Major Contributor
They do Klippel measurements which an ability to quantify this stuff.

valerianf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
When possible I always tried to get the tweeter at my ear level or a little higher.
It is important when listening at low volume and close to the speaker.
But these days the speakers with the midrange above the tweeter are very rare.
My guess is that Amir never measured a similar tower speaker .

sam_adams

Major Contributor
so my body can more easily twitch, rythmically.

elainedancing.gif

Soandso

My bedroom 22 inch tall 2-way speakers are atop 2 bureaus of drawers. I have the speakers turned upside down so the tweeters are at ear level at least when I am standing or walking around.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, I've always been interested in a set of Salon 2, but that tweeter is so dang high when I'd be sitting only 10 feet away, with my ear height at around 33 inches.

Are you sure? I've checked tweeter height in a variety of chairs and sofas recently, and my ears were always 10-12" more than that (41"-44").

valerianf

Here are some measurement about the tweeter height on my system:
L and R: 32 inches
Center: 27 inches
Surround: 34 inches

Critical adjustment was the surround height as they are the closest speakers to the sofa.

OP
P

paulgyro

Are you sure? I've checked tweeter height in a variety of chairs and sofas recently, and my ears were always 10-12" more than that (41"-44").
My ears are at 37" in my couch. The Salon2's tweeters are indeed very high, something Harmon corrected on the F328Be.

MarcT

Forum Donor
Yes, my sofa is kind of low and has individual seats that recline, which I always do when I sit there. So, my ears end up at around 33 inches.

valerianf

When sitting in the sofa my ears are at 32 inches.

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My mains are slightly tilted down and my center is tilted up slightly. Compromises are necessary sometimes

MarcT

Forum Donor

Zedly

Forum Donor
When I first got my surround speakers, I put them on tall stands so that the sound didn't get blocked by the sofa. However, that meant that the tweeter was significantly above ear level. Once we turned the speakers upside-down so that the tweeters were closer to ear level, my wife and I both agreed that the sound was more pleasing.

01svtL

If your ears are within the measured-flat on-axis dispersion of the tweeter, what difference does it make? Isn't that part of the point of this sub and taking those measurements to begin with? This is even easier to accomplish with a little tilt down or up if needed. Buy those little rubber drawer bumpers to tilt the front or back side if needed. Or rubber o-rings to go under speaker footers/isolators or whatever. Get creative.

Top Bottom