• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why does Cannabis make music sound way more detailed and hundreds of times more enjoyable?

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Like when we recorded ourselves solving the problems of the world and having paradigm shifting insights while stoned in college...because we always said we should when we couldn't remember our enhanced brilliance the next day.

Yeah...

The good news is that we got back to listening to music more rather than try to solve the problems of the world.

a friend of mine who tripped often became frustrated that he could not recall the genius revelations he knew he was having under the influence.

So the next time he dropped a tab he made sure he had a pen and notebook handy. The following day he rose early and went to consult the copious insights he was sure he had recorded.

All that was written in the pad was 'There's not enough time in the world.'

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I stopped smoking and drinking a while back and now I eat canned sardines several times a week and let me tell you, they are really underrated.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
anybody mention influence of neurotransmitter release through presynaptic modulation of Type-1 receptors which are closely associated with excitatory neurotransmitters ??

dkinric

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It sucks objectively and subjectively. I've seen too many people destroy their lives and futures, and that of others w/ cannabis.
You sound like fun at parties.

All the crazy fuckups I've known or met had waaaaayyyyyyyyy bigger issues than cannabis. Correlation does not equal causation. Alcohol off the top of my head is so much worse and causes so many more problems in the world. With other drug/alcohol abuse, personality disorders, and just people being dicks, cannabis use is so far down the list it's not even worth mentioning.
If cannabis use is not your jam, that's fine, but I don't believe at all it's the main cause of many "people destroying their lives and futures". If that's your take, there were likely many issues hidden from you.
I feel sorry for people who think "it sucks" and is evil. Peace and good luck to you, Vert.

Edit: You know what, @vert , on second thought who would come to a thread talking about cannabis and music to post what you did? I think you are a sad person who is either a troll and/or suffers from one of those personality disorders I mentioned.

Last edited:

steve59

Major Contributor
cause you're stoned

Frgirard

Major Contributor
It is well documented that cannabis allows you to hear details in music that your ears would not in anyway be able to pick up if not under the influence. The music even 1 single track can be listened to hundreds of times in 1 day and continue to be like the first time you hear it always putting a smile on your face. It makes audiophile headphones and equipment suddenly become hundreds of times more high end than they really are.

Why is this?
I do the same thing with a cable

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Judging by the line ups every weekend at a number of cannabis stores, there must be a ton of audiophiles around here.

Yeah they're all headphone people though

egellings

Major Contributor
Father to stoned son: "Son, how long have you been doing drugs?" Son: "I fergit, man."

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I stopped smoking and drinking a while back and now I eat canned sardines several times a week and let me tell you, they are really underrated.
Is this intended to entice me to stop drinking? To enjoy sardines?

oozlum

The most famous composition by a famous composer is all about that:

Hector Berlioz' Symphonie Fantastique even has a plotline wrapped around an overdose of opium, taken with the intention of committing suicide, but instead inducing a massive synesthetic hallucination, all his emotions and thoughts transformed into music. Opiates of the early 19th century were not as processed as what is manufactured now. One of the more notable side effects of raw opium is synesthesia, the experience of smelling sounds, seeing music and so on.

As it turns out, this symphony is mostly autobiographical until it really heads south. The early stereo Munch/Boston recording is my favorite right now. There's a ton of recordings, it's been a Stereo Demo Record ever since such things first existed. I was introduced to this music back in 1968, I was 13, had paid close attention to the radio ever since the Beatles arrived. So I first heard this work in the wake of 1966/1967, that first big wave of psychedelic music. Berlioz is considered a master of orchestration [he wrote one of the best known books on the subject] and Symphonie Fantastique manages to be quite psychedelic while also being a really good example of the Late Classical/Early Romantic Symphony.

I’m quite surprised that there is so little discussed about MUSIC that has that effect on our perception (the other way around).

Being composed under influence or not, it has that extraordinary feeling that gets you triggered and neutralise you on exactly intended brain ways of perception of artist’s world of wonders. And all this without taking anything. Just that kind of rare and special music that I hope each of us has a record or two in our collections.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It is well documented that cannabis allows you to hear details in music that your ears would not in anyway be able to pick up if not under the influence. The music even 1 single track can be listened to hundreds of times in 1 day and continue to be like the first time you hear it always putting a smile on your face. It makes audiophile headphones and equipment suddenly become hundreds of times more high end than they really are.

Why is this?

I'm not sure I've seen documentation of this, but I'm inclined to agree. Right up until you fall asleep.

VMAT4

Forum Donor
I wouldn't romanticize LSD too much that shit is literally insane :disapprove:

What's really insane is that it is now being used to treat mental illness.

Reactions: JRS

VMAT4

Forum Donor

Why is this?

All I can remember from the days I used is that Hotel California goes on for ever if stoned. Also if sober.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
VW Bus stoners smoke.jpg

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Indica vs sativa for critical listening sessions?
Indica for me near everyday. Very relaxing and I melt into the headphones it sounds so good. My buddy smokes sativa and I smoked some of his and it's not as relaxing for music in my opinion.

Robin L

Master Contributor
What's really insane is that it is now being used to treat mental illness.
You should look into the history of MKULTRA and the work that the Luces of Time magazine were doing to promote LSD for psychotherapy in the early 1960s.

Top Bottom