• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why does Cannabis make music sound way more detailed and hundreds of times more enjoyable?

Wombat

Master Contributor
Hash cones? o_O

Tks

Major Contributor
Same reason food "tastes" better. It's simply contributing to a higher dopamine production on top of already higher baseline dopamine levels while under the influence.

This translates to nearly all active substance. Alcohol, psychedelics, etc...

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is well documented that cannabis allows you to hear details in music that your ears would not in anyway be able to pick up if not under the influence. The music even 1 single track can be listened to hundreds of times in 1 day and continue to be like the first time you hear it always putting a smile on your face. It makes audiophile headphones and equipment suddenly become hundreds of times more high end than they really are.

Why is this?
Are you high right now?

murraycamp

Forum Donor
One thing is for certain: lighting up a bowl or two is a much more cost-effective equipment upgrade than new cables.

Preach

Krusty09

Forum Donor
Hey.

Can you point to something written in medical journal or some kind of test that I can read.

Thanks

Wombat

Master Contributor
Same reason food "tastes" better. It's simply contributing to a higher dopamine production on top of already higher baseline dopamine levels while under the influence.

This translates to nearly all active substance. Alcohol, psychedelics, etc...

Makes crap jokes funny, too. o_O

Krusty09

Forum Donor
Cool. I have something to read on the plane today.

Thanks

digititus

I wouldn't romanticize LSD too much that shit is literally insane :disapprove:
No one is romanticizing. Taken in the context of how psychoactive substances can effect music perception, then LSD has a very profound impact on sound perception, which can not only be heard, it can be touched, seen and even tasted! Of course, if you are not comfortable exploring the unknown areas of your mind and perception, then probably best to avoid. I haven't even mentioned MDMA yet!

Veri

Master Contributor
No one is romanticizing. Taken in the context of how psychoactive substances can effect music perception, then LSD has a very profound impact on sound perception, which can not only be heard, it can be touched, seen and even tasted! Of course, if you are not comfortable exploring the unknown areas of your mind and perception, then probably best to avoid. I haven't even mentioned MDMA yet!
Off topic, but I dislike that in popular media, this particle is made light of as just something fun and mind-blowing. It's a thousand times more intense, and I reckon most people are absolutely not prepared for the havoc it will wreck inside your little head :p -end off topic-

Robin L

Master Contributor
Off topic, but I dislike that in popular media, this particle is made light of as just something fun and mind-blowing. It's a thousand times more intense, and I reckon most people are absolutely not prepared for the havoc it will wreck inside your little head :p -end off topic-
Back when this all was a "thing", LSD was legal. Back in 1966. And Time-Life publications evangelized LSD as an insta-cure for psychiatric disorders. Meanwhile the "evil weed" was illegal and an easy way to arrest "undesirables". I know [very well] someone who, back then, had no problem with dropping acid because it was legal. And huge problems with pot because it was illegal and known to cause derangement.

As of 2019, cannabis is being recognized as having therapeutic value and has become mainstream enough to be featured on the covers of National Geographic special editions, available at the check stand of a grocery store near you. There is also renewed [underground, mostly] interest in the potential therapeutic value of psychedelics. Back in 1966, Owsley's formulations focused on intensity and high dosages. The current psychedelic revival focuses on "microdosing', using acid as an extra nutritional supplement for a busy day.

I don't know how far back the connection between cannabis and music goes, but this performance of a late medieval song by Ensemble Project Ars Nova suggests the Troubadours might have smoked a bowl or two.

"I am smoky,
I smoke myself,
A smoky speculation . . . ":​

More info on smoking songs of the late medieval/early renaissance fumeurs:

https://books.google.com/books?id=S7NlCwAAQBAJ&pg=PA503&lpg=PA503&dq=puisque+je+suis+fumeux+lyrics&source=bl&ots=CWPxPE4tqt&sig=ACfU3U1DHktKMWJxpsSpC84XBuqyukaCZA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjJrIqY6OnlAhXMrJ4KHf7hCjwQ6AEwB3oECAkQAQ#v=onepage&q=puisque je suis fumeux lyrics&f=false

Last edited:
Top Bottom