• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why does Cannabis make music sound way more detailed and hundreds of times more enjoyable?

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Edit: You know what, @vert , on second thought who would come to a thread talking about cannabis and music to post what you did? I think you are a sad person who is either a troll and/or suffers from one of those personality disorders I mentioned.
Expressing an opinion is not trolling, and there is some evidence that cannabis increases the risk of serious mental illness.

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'd heard that about ketamine for highly treatment-resistant clinical depression but not LSD.

Ketamine was also used to study schizophrenia. The test involved subjects doing a washout of their antipsychotics before starting the study. Some/many latter committed suicide. Makes ya wonder.

Reactions: 617

Rockdog

You sound like fun at parties.

All the crazy fuckups I've known or met had waaaaayyyyyyyyy bigger issues than cannabis. Correlation does not equal causation. Alcohol off the top of my head is so much worse and causes so many more problems in the world. With other drug/alcohol abuse, personality disorders, and just people being dicks, cannabis use is so far down the list it's not even worth mentioning.
If cannabis use is not your jam, that's fine, but I don't believe at all it's the main cause of many "people destroying their lives and futures". If that's your take, there were likely many issues hidden from you.
I feel sorry for people who think "it sucks" and is evil. Peace and good luck to you, Vert.

Edit: You know what, @vert , on second thought who would come to a thread talking about cannabis and music to post what you did? I think you are a sad person who is either a troll and/or suffers from one of those personality disorders I mentioned.
I live in Colorado. I'd say it's a mixed bag. I'm not opposed to legalization and I still enjoy the occasional pull, so I'm not a party downer. However, it's not all positive. I think the near complete acceptance in young people that chronic use is either non consequential or "healthy" is moronic. The dispensaries are often described as "health clinics". There is a little publicized increase in traffic fatalities, not huge, but it definitely tracks legalization. I'm fully on board with use for chronic illness, CBD for a variety of indications, etc.. but it doesn't take a genius to understand that ingesting a mind altering substance, or inhaling smoke to get high has some undesirable side effects.

The effects on a developing young brain should warrant caution. Some emerging studies point to chronic use in teen years as quite detrimental to acute and long term mental health. Anyone that smoked regularly (me) knows that frequent use zaps motivation and initiative, in most people, not all of us are Elon Musk. There's a reason people are called stoners.

Yes, I've seen lives derailed and sidelined from weed. I'm older but I know two friends that were lifelong chronic stoners that didn't find much success in life until they quit. They are adamant weed was a major factor. Like anything it's about moderation and balance. Some people are equipped to make those decisions well, and some aren't.

My biggest peeve, as a well experienced user, is the acceptance as a net positive to wellbeing, the "everyone should smoke weed" credo, and the near complete lack of acknowledgement that usage, particularly frequent usage, has negative side effects. For some people those are profoundly bad.

Yes, a hit here and there, a drink here and there, etc..can certainly improve the outlook, relieve stress, even bolster creativity.. all good..but take it easy, and if it doesn't suit you or your goals, don't listen to cheerleading dab heads. You'll be signing their paychecks at some point.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Expressing an opinion is not trolling, and there is some evidence that cannabis increases the risk of serious mental illness.
There is also evidence that cannabis can treat serious mental illnesses and that it can serve as a tool for pain management as well. There needs to a lot more research before people start jumping to conclusions. The anti-cannabis campaigns of the last 100 years convinced a lot of people that cannabis is far more dangerous than it really is. What is known is that cannabis/cannabinoids are of remarkably low toxicity and considering the high and well known levels of toxicity in many of the pharmaceuticals it could replace, it's best to make study of cannabis and cannabinoids much easier than it has been for the last 100 years.

Last edited:

VMAT4

Forum Donor
There is also evidence that cannabis can treat serious mental illnesses and that it can serve as a tool for pain management as well. There needs to a lot more research before people start jumping to conclusions. The anti-cannabis campaigns of the last 100 years convinced a lot lot of people that cannabis is far more dangerous than it really is. What is known is that cannabis/cannabinoids are of remarkably low toxicity and considering the high and well known levels of toxicity in many of the pharmaceuticals it could replace, it's best to make study of cannabis and cannabinoids much easier than it has been for the last 100 years.

Substance abuse will have more negative impacts than substance use will have side effects. It's a matter of too much of something. Problem is that everyone is different.

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There is also evidence that cannabis can treat serious mental illnesses and that it can serve as a tool for pain management as well. There needs to a lot more research before people start jumping to conclusions. The anti-cannabis campaigns of the last 100 years convinced a lot lot of people that cannabis is far more dangerous than it really is. What is known is that cannabis/cannabinoids are of remarkably low toxicity and considering the high and well known levels of toxicity in many of the pharmaceuticals it could replace, it's best to make study of cannabis and cannabinoids much easier than it has been for the last 100 years.
Agreed. We'll see where it comes out.

Robin L

Master Contributor

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

dkinric

I don't disagree with any of the comments regarding caution and moderation. I was more put aback that someone would come into an ongoing discussion literally titled "Why does Cannabis make music sound way more detailed and hundreds of times more enjoyable?" to say that.

Reactions: JRS

orangejello

. My partner is an MD who specializes in non-opioid based management of chronic pain. Besides being a board certified physiatrist and using that training to great effect, there are only two drugs in her toolbox - buprenorphine in order to stabilize people that became addicts as a result of the criminals who run the legal heroin cartel (here’s looking at you Insys and Purdue/Sacklers, CVS, etc) And marijuana. Teaching people to effectively use pot takes a lot of skill and time. Most docs either don’t have the skill or won’t spend the time. It is especially tricky to help pot naive patients and requires a fair amount of experimentation and titration in order to get the desired results.

Robin L

Master Contributor
. My partner is an MD who specializes in non-opioid based management of chronic pain. Besides being a board certified physiatrist and using that training to great effect, there are only two drugs in her toolbox - buprenorphine in order to stabilize people that became addicts as a result of the criminals who run the legal heroin cartel (here’s looking at you Insys and Purdue/Sacklers, CVS, etc) And marijuana. Teaching people to effectively use pot takes a lot of skill and time. Most docs either don’t have the skill or won’t spend the time. It is especially tricky to help pot naive patients and requires a fair amount of experimentation and titration in order to get the desired results.
Yeah, cannabis is a key that doesn't fit all locks. Some people, like the chronically chronic, have developed tolerance while other people have powerful negative psychological effects even with small doses. And some of those who are THC averse get therapeutic benefits from CBD. Determining "if marihuana is right for you" usually involves a bit of trial and error.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Will widespread legalization cause more excessively laudatory articles in the Audiphool press?

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
i didn't really want to join the debate here because many could and/or will associate my nickname and profile pic for being a stoner (disclaimer: there's other reasons for it)

...and requires a fair amount of experimentation and titration in order to get the desired results.

about the same as in treatment of mental illness then, or as in general - all internal medicine (psychiatry being on top of it)

Determining "if marihuana is right for you" usually involves a bit of trial and error.

sadly, yes

since i only tried it a few times when i was younger and it didn't hit as it did others, i never really even considered consuming, that is, until...i got diagnosed with MADD (mixed anxiety–depressive disorder) a few years back and none of the prescriptions not only didn't help but had some seriously f*cked up side-effects.
it was then i remembered my last try in my mid 20s that left everyone high as hell but only had a damn calming effect on me

(not going to venture any deeper, really, since someone might understand it as medical advice of sorts...)

but, back to topic, at least for me it doesn't have any effect on my perception of music, with or without it

Sharur

cannabis makes the dt880 unbearable because they sound perfect when sober

Top Bottom