• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why does Cannabis make music sound way more detailed and hundreds of times more enjoyable?

Robin L

Master Contributor

. . . Me and you will listen to a little bit of what made the preacher dance . . .

Note that "Mighty Mezz" in the lyrics points to Mezz Mezzrow, jazz clarinetist and dope dealer to the stars of Jazz. "Mighty Mezz but not too strong" is what Fats is singing about, not what you find in the incorrect versions while looking up the lyrics online:

" . . . I would be leaving out an important detail of this story if I didn’t tell you about Mezz’s activities as a marijuana dealer. He was an advocate of marijuana as an alternative to alcohol and other drugs and he was a reliable supplier to many musicians. In fact, “mezz,” “the mighty mezz” and “mess-rolls” all became slang for marijuana in the jazz community. Mezz himself was known as the “Muggles King,” another slang term for marijuana at the time. In 1940, he was busted for his drug selling activities and sentenced to jail. When he was about to be placed in a cell block with other white prisoners he protested that he was black and was ultimately placed in the prison’s segregated black section. . ."

https://www.vailjazz.org/remembering-mezz-the-muggles-king/

Last edited:

Tks

Major Contributor
Off topic, but I dislike that in popular media, this particle is made light of as just something fun and mind-blowing. It's a thousand times more intense, and I reckon most people are absolutely not prepared for the havoc it will wreck inside your little head :p -end off topic-

I hate people that talk like that. I've taken 1000ug+ hits before and never had this "taste music, touch emotions, smell space-time" nonsense. Your mode of thinking drastically changes, and your senses become warped (vision especially becomes a flux of everything but what is normally seen). But senses now crossing over and having functions of other sensory organs? Pure nonsense, or an unbelievable level of self suggestion I can't fathom. I sooner be immobile than ever reaching such a state..

Reactions: JRS

Veri

Master Contributor
I hate people that talk like that. I've taken 1000ug+ hits before and never had this "taste music, touch emotions, smell space-time" nonsense. Your mode of thinking drastically changes, and your senses become warped (vision especially becomes a flux of everything but what is normally seen). But senses now crossing over and having functions of other sensory organs? Pure nonsense, or an unbelievable level of self suggestion I can't fathom. I sooner be immobile than ever reaching such a state..
Well. One person's experience isn't always comparable to another. My friends both "saw" music for a while, they unmistakably did and could tell about it with great recall. My sense of touch was much exaggerated which felt very odd. Lastly I could see things become damp/wet which was just my imagination. Lots of things can happen in these 8-10 hours which can be very absurd/insane. This was at 200ug, but in Europe not US if it matters.
I'd personally never subject myself to this experience again :p way too intense.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Off topic, but I dislike that in popular media, this particle is made light of as just something fun and mind-blowing. It's a thousand times more intense, and I reckon most people are absolutely not prepared for the havoc it will wreck inside your little head :p -end off topic-

From experience? The use of 'psychedelics' for therapeutic purposes is now being actively researched after a very long ban due to conservative knee-jerk laws from the 1960s.

https://www.abc.net.au/triplej/programs/hack/lsd-as-psychadelic-therapy/8452814

Last edited:

Tks

Major Contributor
Well. One person's experience isn't always comparable to another. My friends both "saw" music for a while, they unmistakably did and could tell about it with great recall. My sense of touch was much exaggerated which felt very odd. Lastly I could see things become damp/wet which was just my imagination. Lots of things can happen in these 8-10 hours which can be very absurd/insane. This was at 200ug, but in Europe not US if it matters.
I'd personally never subject myself to this experience again :p way too intense.

When I close my eyes and listen to music for a while, I can imagine and visualize a imagined "vizualizer" of shapes being conjured during music and its impact notes for example. But there's a difference between that, and literally "seeing music" whatever that even means.

Since he was able to tell you about it in great recall. What did he "see" about music? Like was he seeing soundwaves emanating from thin air? Or was he seeing floating notes, or a floating abstract visualizer?

You yourself validly attest to how things become fluid (this is the common side effect, and at 200ug, not out of the ordinary experience). This only gets more severe the higher the dose, at which point you simply don't see anything coherently anymore, its' like someone tooth the photoshop swirl/smudge tool and kept using it. So I don't understand how he could see anything coherent aside from geometric shapes of some sort at best, let alone "see music" (again, whatever that even means).

Oh sorry to hear about your trip though. Sounds like you had a frightening experience.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I hardly drink alcohol either nowadays either.

Same here. I mostly start at night, mostly.

P.S. I read your "either" as "ether"...

"The only thing that really worried me was the ether. There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. And I knew we'd get into that rotten stuff pretty soon. Probably at the next gas station."

artismo

I had synesthesia when I smoked good stuff and listened to music.
I closed my eyes when I was listening to Simple Man by Lynyrd Skynyrd and each guitar pluck produced swaths of colors that vibrated and melted into darkness. Trippiest shit ever. Can usually only see that on LSD, 2CB, or shrooms.
I tend to concentrate more when I’m smoking. I notice more details probably because I’m so slowed down. Don’t know the science behind, just always experienced that myself.

Reactions: JRS

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Sure, but are the details really there, or the result of a drug-induced haze?

"Last night I saw upon the stair, a little man who wasn't there..." - Antigonish by Mearns (since references are important and I'm bad about including them)

egellings

Major Contributor
I fergit, man! That's why a musical piece sounds good over & over.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
cannabis allows you to perceive what appear to be details in music that your ears would not in any way be able to pick up if not under the influence.

FIFY

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Synaesthetia is a well documented phenomenon, it's inducement from chemical agents is less well understood, but there is a large body of evidence that supports it's existence. See this metastudy for some examples: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3797969/

Out of interest, how many senses do you think you have?

egellings

Major Contributor
I have never experienced synesthesia. Maybe some people do, and others don't.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
cannabis allows you to perceive what appear to be details in music that your ears would not in any way be able to pick up if not under the influence.

FIFY

Perhaps your ear and auditory system are always able to 'hear' these details, but they are usually filtered out. Maybe the chemical influence changes the filter, not the source.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have never experienced synesthesia. Maybe some people do, and others don't.

I think we all do. Maybe not the overt type, for example where sounds can be experienced as a colour or taste, but the more subtle type, like feeling cold (thermoception sense) when entering a blue room (blue being generally perceived as a cold colour).

cjfrbw

I found the music got even better after I switched the system on.

I remember the first huge audiophile equipment exposition in San Francisco sponsored by Stereophile in early 90's. Smelled dope everywhere, and saw numerous stoned guys listening that smelled of joint.

Odd, I have never smelled dope at any audio show since. Of course, more than half the old gomers I know in Santa Cruz these days have THC cards, even the lacquered suburban fraus.

I think it goes from enhancement to distraction to fizzle pretty quickly after habituation. I actually listen stone sober. Does that make me an outlier these days?

GeorgeWalk

It is well documented that cannabis allows you to hear details in music that your ears would not in anyway be able to pick up if not under the influence. The music even 1 single track can be listened to hundreds of times in 1 day and continue to be like the first time you hear it always putting a smile on your face. It makes audiophile headphones and equipment suddenly become hundreds of times more high end than they really are.

Why is this?

This sounds subjective to me. You should a lot of ABX testing.Smoke weed, play music, have friend trip and destroy audio system, see if you can still hear the nuance and sound stage in the music.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Perhaps your ear and auditory system are always able to 'hear' these details, but they are usually filtered out. Maybe the chemical influence changes the filter, not the source.

Quite possible as it appears to dis-inhibit certain neural pathways.

BTW, the best way I know to experience synesthesia is have a good car stereo and loud muffler going while driving on a twisty road in a good sports car.

Top Bottom