• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why did "YOU" give up the right to repair?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I still have a mac mini from 2006 that works perfectly fine.

I've got a 2004 Mac Mini running in my Airbnb space for guests with a 64GB SSD. It's a media server for movies and music and still works great for that - if a guest decides to log into their bank with it, oh well. :facepalm:

Still have a little digital signage box with a C2D that triple boots Linux, Mac and XP - super handy still for fixing bootloaders and partitions with the tools that were never ported to later versions of Windows. Anybody remember Heron's Boot CD or the like?

I used to repair and maintain all of my friends Macs going back to Power PC G3s and iPhones up to the old SEs. Now there's just too much miniaturization and closed systems and I'm just not up for keeping up with it. Super happy though with my new M1 Mini even though it is the epitome of a throw-away desktop with absolutely no user upgrades and an integrated SSD that will fail with time. I had a full blown ATX board that I triple booted with as well all the way up to Mac Mavericks OS before I threw in the towel just because I enjoyed all the tinkering one could do with the hardware and had fun getting it to work.

I still fix my car, tractor, appliances and house on my own up to the point of the cost of my time and labor being outweighed by someone else's expertise.

Edit: That triple boot C2D is never exposed to the internet in any way - it's just a tool.

Last edited:
OP
B

Bullwinkle J Moose

I can fix all the major problems in XP

Can you fix all the major problems in Windows 10?

No, you gave up your right to repair to maintain your illusion of security

You cannot close the backdoor's
You cannot keep your data private
You have agreed to an extortionary Licensing model just to use your computer
You allow a Corporation to make decisions for you
You are unable to hold the Corporations Liable for all the damage they have already caused, or will cause in the future
and you pay for your own enslavement

Many of you then make excuses for why you allow all of this

Mashcky

Forum Donor
Agree; Microsoft stopped supporting XP in 2014. The internet world equivalent of a 1962 Chevrolet pickup truck.
I assume OP also repairs OP’s own vintage pickup too… I could tell where this was going from post #1.

If we choose to participate in the modern economy, we all make trade-offs between what we can repair and what we don’t have the time or expertise to. Sounds nice that OP has the computer under control. But what about plumbing? Auto repairs? Legal work? Accounting? Landscaping? Some of these domains require a reliance on others for basic functions and in some cases involve giving up privacy too.

simbloke

Forum Donor
You can't fix the problems "in" XP.

Anyway, I've been using Linux since you had to make a pile of floppies to install it.
You're the one still using an OS from The Man, which you are free to do of course. But no need to be grumpy with others for what they choose.

OP
B

Bullwinkle J Moose

So you run several different os versions to maintain this facade of having a safe XP experience? Dude please........

What facade are you referring to?

You do not have any evidence to show that my XP experience is unsafe in any way

OP
B

Bullwinkle J Moose

You can't fix the problems "in" XP.

Anyway, I've been using Linux since you had to make a pile of floppies to install it.
You're the one still using an OS from The Man, which you are free to do of course. But no need to be grumpy with others for what they choose.
I'm not the grumpy one

I can fix XP and block Microsoft from making changes to it

You cannot do that with Spyware Platform 10

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What facade are you referring to?

You do not have any evidence to show that my XP experience is unsafe in any way
Because of things xp won't do you also run other versions of windows. Hence the facade your locked down xp under your control is all you need.

dfuller

Major Contributor
XP is inherently insecure at this point. It's not getting patches any more, and as we've seen, even things we think can't be used as ways to run arbitrary code can be (see the latest print spooler shenanigans). Beyond that, that's not really what right to repair is about. Right to repair is firmly a hardware side thing. It's about if, say, your DAC dies, you can buy a replacement component and not have to junk the whole thing because some proprietary part is not available to you, or the firmware chip doesn't wipe itself when you try and read it, and so on and so forth. The idea is that you actually own the device you've bought.

OP
B

Bullwinkle J Moose

Because of things xp won't do you also run other versions of windows. Hence the facade your locked down xp under your control is all you need.
If all I want to do is keep my data and operating system secure, then yes, XP is all I need

Do you use just one tool to build a house?

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Agreed, there should be legislation enforcing user replaceable batteries and sale of batteries at least 10 years after product EoL or something. Always "fun" to see the green cultists charging like elephants on crack at any ICE car with more than 3 cylinders (at least here, in western Europe) but completely disregarding that kind of stuff.

dfuller

Major Contributor
Agreed, there should be legislation enforcing user replaceable batteries and sale of batteries at least 10 years after product EoL or something. Always "fun" to see the green cultists charging like elephants on crack at any ICE car with more than 3 cylinders (at least here, in western Europe) but completely disregarding that kind of stuff.
They both matter, for different reasons. But yeah, non-user-replaceable batteries are just the worst. I wouldn't have bought my current phone if I could've replaced the battery on my old one (and the screen for that matter).

OP
B

Bullwinkle J Moose

You haven't given us any reason to think otherwise, given the quality of your comments in this thread.

Yes, I know that
I haven't given you any reason to think that my Windows XP is unsafe in any way

Did you a point to make, other than the quality of my comments being top notch?

OP
B

Bullwinkle J Moose

I believe that you believe that you are able to what you claim, I don't, though.

Exactly

I have all the evidence I need to know for a fact that my copy of XP is safe to use online

and you can choose to believe whatever you want without any evidence at all

Good Point!

OP
B

Bullwinkle J Moose

Have rolled your own MCU to patch the MDS vulnerabilities in the microcode of your Nehelem CPU or just disabled the branch prediction capabilities of your CPU?

Neither

My OS and data are safe from ransomware, wipers and other data damaging malware

That is all I need for what I use it for

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom