• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why aren't D'Appolito arrays more common?

Ericglo

Honken

@kniff Interesting to see XTZ' Cinema line in the wild! You wouldn't happen to have some measurements of your setup?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
IIRC some of those tweeters are used as midranges and are supposed to go down to something like 300hz. You can read the thread.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/tekton.14783/
I read and continued laughing when I noticed this comment:
Yeah good job running tweeters down to 300Hz when the FS is 680Hz lol.

There’s no known way to make multiple tweeters work correctly in domestic invironments other than CBT and Bessel arrays.

GimeDsp

Here is the screen grab and the page link.
View attachment 154324
https://www.xtzsound.eu/product/cinema-m6

Anyone knows at least a modicum of how line arrays work will laugh at these plots.

Meanwhile, have you wondered why other than in PA there are no speaker systems on the market which have more than one tweeter? (Unless they are in very large numbers and forms a CBT or Bessel array). If the manufacturer's "Quattro" array is their invention and we don't yet know how it operates I expected a patent or at least a paper reference. There is none.

Obviously they sound well as there are people testifying it, but why use smoke & mirrors? Why lower yourself to uneducated level?

hahaha, I didn't realize how funny that graph was tell you mentioned it. DEFINITLY a graph made by marketing dept.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
What's this?
a 3-way multi tweeter?
1632065336172.png

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I read and continued laughing when I noticed this comment:

There’s no known way to make multiple tweeters work correctly in domestic invironments other than CBT and Bessel arrays.

They actually seem to measure fairly well. Not sure if that translates to the giant towers in the picture, though.

kniff

@kniff Interesting to see XTZ' Cinema line in the wild! You wouldn't happen to have some measurements of your setup?
I'll get back to you, i'm in the process if acquiring a calibrated mic

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
They actually seem to measure fairly well. Not sure if that translates to the giant towers in the picture, though.
The high frequency polar response is good, pointing out to a Bessel alignment used for tweeters. Unfortunately, and expectedly, the large distance created between the woofers due to the use of multiple tweeters makes the d’Appolito design fail. There are lots of dips which are up to 20dB at 600Hz, 1200Hz, 3000Hz at 30 & 15 degrees. In other words, and as expected from visual observation, the speaker’s vertical polar diagram is riddled with lopes even if it’s difficult to visualise in a waterfall format. This was clearly stated in the review you linked.

This is not a good measuring speaker.

Ericglo

I do wonder why someone hasn't done a CBT tweeter array with conventional woofer.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

kniff

How does those six tweeters work?

Sorry i missed this, i think you already got an answer. I could also mention that XTZ had help from a US-based engineering firm with the Cinema-series of speakers (using the MTM-design) and the reason why some of them might look familiar, is because that same engineering firm was also a partner of Kreisel around the same time. There were no direct connection between M&K and XTZ, but i guess you could say some of the speakers are not entirely dissimilar..

UMIK-1 has been ordered so hopefully i can get some measurements up this week

Last edited:

kniff

Soundandvision reviewed the M6 few years ago

S&A (purple + green lines = M6) https://www.soundandvision.com/content/xtz-cinema-m6-speaker-system-review
416xtzsp.meas.jpg

Audioholics https://www.audioholics.com/surround-sound-reviews/xtz-cinema-series-m6-and-s5-speaker-system-review
M6_1m_reference_Vertical_15_degree_AVG.png

XTZ is not that well known outside of Sweden (or Europe) and their foray into NA did not go as planned few years ago.
They sell direct to customers and have always had pride on high performance for low prices, they're not known for snake oil in the communitiy, rather the exact opposite. I've been a customer since 2008 or so when they released their 99.36 towers with fountek ribbon tweeters and seas excel mids/bass

Last edited:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There were no direct connection between M&K and XTZ, but i guess you could say some of the speakers are not entirely dissimilar..
I see no similarities between the two design.

The M&K design looks to be using d’Appolito design on the tweeters (outer tweeters working as mids) or maybe a simplified Bessel. There should be no loping issues on M&K speakers like there are with XTZ.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I was thinking more like a CBT tweeter array on top of a conventional box with woofer(s).
Why do you want to separate two transducer sets with wildly different polar responses?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Soundandvision reviewed the M6 few years ago

S&A (purple + green lines = M6) https://www.soundandvision.com/content/xtz-cinema-m6-speaker-system-review
416xtzsp.meas.jpg

Audioholics https://www.audioholics.com/surround-sound-reviews/xtz-cinema-series-m6-and-s5-speaker-system-review
View attachment 154344

XTZ is not that well known outside of Sweden (or Europe) and their foray into NA did not go as planned few years ago.
They sell direct to customers and have always had pride on high performance for low prices, they're not known for snake oil in the communitiy, rather the exact opposite. I've been a customer since 2008 or so when they released their 99.36 towers with fountek ribbon tweeters and seas excel mids/bass
Those charts hides the issues mentioned here.

kniff

Those charts hides the issues mentioned here.

Will i be able to see those type of issues when i take measurements at home with REW? Anything i should think of when doing sweeps? Just a curious amateur as i've mentioned..

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Will i be able to see those type of issues when i take measurements at home with REW? Anything i should think of when doing sweeps? Just a curious amateur as i've mentioned..
Read @amirm ’s speaker reviews and try to replicate them as much as you can with the tools you have. You can always create a thread asking for help on specific measurement type.

Don’t bother measuring anything below 250Hz as anything below is affected by the room modes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom