• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Who would buy a small android phone?

dasdoing

Major Contributor
there should be a market, but there doesn't seam to be. So how can that be? the answer is marketing.
I have a Palm PVG100 (3.3" display) and I am allready afraid of the time when I need a new phone.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The Pixel 5 is the perfect size but out of production. I foolishly "upgraded" to a brick-like 6 at Christmas.

But as a refurbished phone a 5 is a possible option.

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Such as?

I agree with the OP. Phones that are too big are not ergonomic to use. If I want to do some proper computing (rather than just email/online shopping/apps), then I will use a proper computer of some sort, not a phone.
Such as texting or posting on this forum. You can type more than twice as fast with two thumbs vs one. Even better, if you become comfortable swyping that can be as fast as typing or close to it. You aren't going to be proficient holding a phone with one hand and swyping. You'll hold it with one hand and use an index or middle finger of the other to swype. Then things like photo editing, you'll need two hands to do a decent job of that. Or scanning documents. Or doing calculations with the calculator app. Sure you can do it with one hand, but not as well if you use two. Using a weather app during a storm to zoom into your position to see from the radar if dangerous weather is headed for you. Or using a spreadsheet or word processor. All of this is easier with two hands and easier to see with a larger screen.

Now you may say you'll use a proper computer, and not a phone, well that proves my point. Away from home or traveling when there is no proper computer available you can do these things and more with a phone. You'll do them better using two hands. You'll be handicapping your phone's usefulness if you don't. Whether you will ever use your phone to its potential or not there are millions and millions who do every day. That is why smaller phones are scarce. The larger market is in larger phones. For a substantial portion of people today their phone is their only personal computer or personal computer like device.

I do wish there were more smaller phones on the market for those who want one. I think the cost vs profit ratio is too small so small phones are a red-headed stepchild. One mode I'd like to see added for older people or those who don't want much more than just a pocketable phone is Pure Phone or Pure Phone and Text mode. Like airplane mode, only once you engage it the device does nothing other than act like a phone. Everything else is disabled and not cluttering up just talking or texting on the phone.

PS-if you have never cast the screen to a regular monitor (or connect via the USB C port), and used a bluetooth keyboard and mouse, you'd be surprised perhaps how ergonomic that is. If more people did this, they really would not need any other computer.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why do you want a small phone? Is it because the keyboards are too stretched out on larger phones? Because you want it to fit in your pocket? Because larger phones are too heavy?

If the problem is fitting in your pocket, you could consider something like a Samsung Galaxy Flip. It is really small (but thick) when folded, but opens out to a normal sized smartphone screen.

I have a Galaxy Fold 4. When folded, it is narrow and long but thick. I can use the keyboard with one hand. When opened, it is almost tablet-like in size.
Because I don't text more that yes, no or call me. If you can't be bothered to call me (so that I can put you on speaker while I am using both my hands [& it is rare that I am not using both my hands, my job is physical and my life style is physical]), then I can't be bothered with you either.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Something like the Iphone SE, Samsung S7 or Samsung S10e.
I agree about the lack of choice. Apple stayed small for years but the market demanded bigger. My current iPhone is an XS, 5.65 x 2.79 with a 5.8 screen, which is as about as big as I want to go. The current SE is 5.45 x 2.65 with a 4.7 screen, a smaller screen but with larger bezels so ends up about the same overall size. I have to say that a larger screen *is* a lot nicer when looking at photos or Web stuff.

If your issue is the width, Sony have taken an "interesting" path. The "compact" Xperia 10 IV has a 6.0 screen but it is 21:9 so fits in a 6.02 x 2.64 body. That's the same width as an iPhone SE and only ½" taller. The price is sensible too.

Palladium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm a tiny 55kg guy wearing 27" pants and the pockets have no problems fitting a S22 Ultra while running.

I had the 2016 iPhone SE, but I also can hardly do texting on that one-handed with my tiny fingers too. The screen is just too small.

ohnonotagain

there should be a market, but there doesn't seam to be. So how can that be? the answer is marketing.
I have a Palm PVG100 (3.3" display) and I am allready afraid of the time when I need a new phone.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that this form factor is awesome. I'd love for them to make a new version of it, and I'd gladly take a bit more thickness for better battery life and niceties like wireless charging and NFC. It's a great sized phone for people who are fortunate enough to still have good eyes, and who don't want to be constantly consuming content but just need something to get things done.

There are small phones out there, but small phones come from small manufacturers. Look for things like the Unihertz Jelly 2, Soyes XS12 or Cubot Pocket 3. I haven't tried any of them but they look interesting.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
I'd gladly take a bit more thickness for better battery life and niceties like wireless charging

you can (could?) have both with the mophie juice pack. never tested the wireless charging, but it can basically charge it's whole batery on the go.
but yea the batery is anoying. especially when using GPS.

I doubt they will lunch another phone. there are no updates for a long time now.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
PS-if you have never cast the screen to a regular monitor (or connect via the USB C port), and used a bluetooth keyboard and mouse, you'd be surprised perhaps how ergonomic that is. If more people did this, they really would not need any other computer.
I would be okay with that if I could get a 4K@100Hz display out of it. And if the operating system was Linux. ;)

Leiker535

We got a Samsung Z Fold for my grandfather, as he refused to use his older xiaomi and preferred his flip phone instead. While configuring it for him, I quite liked the compact size when folded and the larger screen (which he barely uses) for everything else.

Apesbrain

Addicted to Fun and Learning
5.1 to 5.5 inches would be ideal. 5.8 the absolute max. I have a phone now that is 5.8 and I would rather have something smaller.
Prior to the Pixel 6a I now own, I had a Pixel 4a which uses a 5.5" screen. I thought it was a good phone. Still available refurbished and can be updated to current Android 13.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
the old Iphone SE is perfect compromise in size.....they should have kept this size in the new version and filled it with a bigger screen (no bezzels)

Reactions: EJ3

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I would be okay with that if I could get a 4K@100Hz display out of it. And if the operating system was Linux. ;)
Well right now don't know of better than 4k@60hz, but that could or probably will change. Android is sort of based upon Linux. So that is about as close as you can get.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
Looks like Android 11 while the current Android is 13. Otherwise looks like a nice option.

these are Android 12

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
the old Iphone SE is perfect compromise in size.....they should have kept this size in the new version and filled it with a bigger screen (no bezzels)
There have now been 3 gens of SE. Do you mean the first one, essentially a 5s with the guts of a 6s?

Last edited:

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
Well right now don't know of better than 4k@60hz, but that could or probably will change. Android is sort of based upon Linux. So that is about as close as you can get.
Yes, the situation can always change and you use new technical means. Since my early days in computing in the sixties, I have seen many operating systems and device types come and go.

As for smartphones, my Galaxy A52s is just the right size. If it were wider, it wouldn't fit in the original holder in my car. There are always a lot of practical considerations.

Top Bottom