• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Who in their right mind

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert

Robin L

Master Contributor
tin-gallium alloy?
EDIT: "in"(dium) and tin and gallium. huh?!

Or a bottle of Ripple.
Or a tube of old-school Testor's model airplane glue, if the audio's an AC/DC record.
:rolleyes:
Oh yes, recall making model cars 1966/1967. Seemed to "rhyme" with the sounds of KRLA back then. Worked well with Monkees tunes as well.

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
Yes, at least it really is liquid. The rewrite of the physics of conduction and EM theory OTOH is not real. IIRC galinstan has a relatively poor conductivity vs copper.

GeorgeWalk

What the hell have they stuffed inside those poor fuses? We've all heard of beeswax-filled fuses, but that looks like something else. Anyway, here are some more ideas for fuse fillings:
  • Coffee powder
  • Cocoa powder
  • Cocaine
  • Gunpowder
  • Nitroglycerin
  • Potassium cyanide
  • Rattlesnake venom
  • Hydrogen disulphide
  • Crushed diamonds
  • Crushed ivory (illegal)

Unobtainium?
Illudium Pu-36
1579197601352.png

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Last edited:
OP
Canuck57

Canuck57

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Yes, at least it really is liquid. The rewrite of the physics of conduction and EM theory OTOH is not real. IIRC galinstan has a relatively poor conductivity vs copper.
[emphasis added]
I was wondering about that...

I should mention that this thread has been very instructive; I was not aware of galinstan before today (I am chagrined to admit)!

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I remember way back in school when they used to pass around a tube of mercury and we'd all pour a little in our hands and play with it. That was a so cool science class!

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
actually (and FWIW), it looks like the toxicity of galinstan is relatively low -- especially compared to quicksilver (mercury).

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
The ultimate upgrade that always makes me smile is:

https://audiowise-canada.myshopify.com/products/rf-block

The guy managed to convince so many people on the Headfi M Scaler thread that his optical de-coupler device made a massive difference, he then went looking for what else they would buy from him, and came up with this.
I just looked at the specifications and note that the shielding efficiency drops at higher frequencies. I guess there's still room on the market for a gamma ray block then.

:cool:

mansr

Major Contributor
actually (and FWIW), it looks like the toxicity of galinstan is relatively low -- especially compared to quicksilver (mercury).
It does have a similar destructive effect on aluminium. Those cables are probably illegal to bring on an airplane. Does the TSA know?

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Until I stopped wasting time on Audiogon he was rather active there.

Yeah, Teo has posted tons on audiogon. Seems as nutty as Geoff Kait, but seems to be serious.

Vintage57

Forum Donor
Top Bottom