• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Which USB/DAC with AES output for active loudspeakers?

Hi everyone,

Hoping somewhere could help: I'm trying to figure out which USB/DAC with AES output to get for my active loudspeakers which have digital AES/XLR inputs.

My input sources are a computer via USB, a TV via toslink, and eventually I plan to add a streamer as well.

Ideally, I'd like to find one which can power a pair of headphones also, but I don't mind getting a separate amp for that. Another nice to have would be if it could power a second pair of active monitors with analog XLR inputs that I can switch between (only one pair would need to be active at a time).

So far I've narrowed it down to these three:

RME ADI-2 Pro FS BE
Lynx Hilo
minidsp SHD Studio

I'm not sure if these are overkill for what I'm trying to do or if there may be something better suited that I've overlooked?

soundwave76

Forum Donor
Digital coax output is also fine - at least when connecting into digital Genelec SAM speakers. I use Bluesound Node 2i with a simple ohm converter in one setup and Matrix X-SPDIF in another.

OP
R
Thread Starter #3
Digital coax output is also fine - at least when connecting into digital Genelec SAM speakers. I use Bluesound Node 2i with a simple ohm converter in one setup and Matrix X-SPDIF in another.
The Matrix X-SPDIF looks very useful, thanks! A lot of products I was wondering how to use like streamers since they don't always have AES output, but often have spdif out, so this would allow me to integrate them now it seems. I will be connecting into digital SAM speakers (8341s + 2 x 7350).

OP
R
Thread Starter #4
I'm going to go with the Matrix X-SPDIF.

Do I just need an XLR Male to RCA Male Cable to connect to the Genelec SAM speakers?

soundwave76

Forum Donor
Do I just need an XLR Male to RCA Male Cable to connect to the Genelec SAM speakers?
No, AES-AES cable. Matrix has AES out. If you plan to use devices with digital coax out, like brilliant and cheap Topping D10, then coax-AES cable should work with small cable lengths.

OP
R
Thread Starter #6
No, AES-AES cable. Matrix has AES out. If you plan to use devices with digital coax out, like brilliant and cheap Topping D10, then coax-AES cable should work with small cable lengths.
I realized I was looking at an older version of the product earlier. AES-AES is exactly what I need. Thanks again :)