• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which USB/DAC with AES output for active loudspeakers?

randy777

Hi everyone,

Hoping somewhere could help: I'm trying to figure out which USB/DAC with AES output to get for my active loudspeakers which have digital AES/XLR inputs.

My input sources are a computer via USB, a TV via toslink, and eventually I plan to add a streamer as well.

Ideally, I'd like to find one which can power a pair of headphones also, but I don't mind getting a separate amp for that. Another nice to have would be if it could power a second pair of active monitors with analog XLR inputs that I can switch between (only one pair would need to be active at a time).

So far I've narrowed it down to these three:

RME ADI-2 Pro FS BE
Lynx Hilo
minidsp SHD Studio

I'm not sure if these are overkill for what I'm trying to do or if there may be something better suited that I've overlooked?

soundwave76

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Digital coax output is also fine - at least when connecting into digital Genelec SAM speakers. I use Bluesound Node 2i with a simple ohm converter in one setup and Matrix X-SPDIF in another.

OP
R

randy777

Digital coax output is also fine - at least when connecting into digital Genelec SAM speakers. I use Bluesound Node 2i with a simple ohm converter in one setup and Matrix X-SPDIF in another.

The Matrix X-SPDIF looks very useful, thanks! A lot of products I was wondering how to use like streamers since they don't always have AES output, but often have spdif out, so this would allow me to integrate them now it seems. I will be connecting into digital SAM speakers (8341s + 2 x 7350).

OP
R

randy777

I'm going to go with the Matrix X-SPDIF.

Do I just need an XLR Male to RCA Male Cable to connect to the Genelec SAM speakers?

soundwave76

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Do I just need an XLR Male to RCA Male Cable to connect to the Genelec SAM speakers?

No, AES-AES cable. Matrix has AES out. If you plan to use devices with digital coax out, like brilliant and cheap Topping D10, then coax-AES cable should work with small cable lengths.

OP
R

randy777

No, AES-AES cable. Matrix has AES out. If you plan to use devices with digital coax out, like brilliant and cheap Topping D10, then coax-AES cable should work with small cable lengths.

I realized I was looking at an older version of the product earlier. AES-AES is exactly what I need. Thanks again :)

svenz

I'll second the recommendation for a topping D10. I looked into the matrix but it is overkill at 300£ just to convert USB->digital, unless you're OCD about having any sort of converters.

For very short runs all you need actually is Topping D10 (60£) + Coax->XLR cable (11£ - aka https://www.thomann.de/gb/pro_snake_aes_ebu_spdif_cable_male_3.htm). There will be an impedance mismatch but the Genelecs are very tolerant. If you want to eliminate the impedance mismatch, which Genelec recommends, you can get a Neutrik impedance converter (40£ - https://www.thomann.de/gb/neutrik_naditbncm.htm), a short coax->BNC cable (4£ - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003OSUXKW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and a normal XLR cable for the other side. This will support much longer runs but requires two cables and a converter which is sort of clunky.

I really would love to have an affordable all-in-one DAC/Headphone AMP with AES (or even just digital) out. The only thing I've found so far with this is the RME ADI-2 Pro, which I can't justify the price to myself (yet :D).

Parametric

I'll second the recommendation for a topping D10. I looked into the matrix but it is overkill at 300£ just to convert USB->digital, unless you're OCD about having any sort of converters.

For very short runs all you need actually is Topping D10 (60£) + Coax->XLR cable (11£ - aka https://www.thomann.de/gb/pro_snake_aes_ebu_spdif_cable_male_3.htm). There will be an impedance mismatch but the Genelecs are very tolerant. If you want to eliminate the impedance mismatch, which Genelec recommends, you can get a Neutrik impedance converter (40£ - https://www.thomann.de/gb/neutrik_naditbncm.htm), a short coax->BNC cable (4£ - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003OSUXKW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and a normal XLR cable for the other side. This will support much longer runs but requires two cables and a converter which is sort of clunky.

I really would love to have an affordable all-in-one DAC/Headphone AMP with AES (or even just digital) out. The only thing I've found so far with this is the RME ADI-2 Pro, which I can't justify the price to myself (yet :D).

I would recommend to check out what Mutec has to offer.

zym1010

Forum Donor
I use two devices to hook my MacBook Pro to Genelec 8330As.

First, I use Caldigit TS3 Plus to convert from Thunderbolt 3 to Optical S/PDIF.
Second, I use Hosa ODL312 to convert from Optical S/PDIF to AES/EBU.

Although one might consider a product like Caldigit TS3 Plus to have relatively bad implementation of its audio part, I bought an audio interface (miniDSP USBStreamer B) with Optical S/PDIF input, and tested if digital audio signals can transmit across the whole chain (TS3 Plus -> ODL 312 -> USBStreamer B) in a bit-perfect manner. The answer is YES.

ClosDeBen

@zym1010 I'm looking at 8330A's for nearfield. The extra cost over the 8030's (or just something cheap with a usb input like the Vanatoo One's) is making me wince (8330A +400, Sam Module $300, USB converters) but the Hosa unit looks reasonable. Thanks for posting.

zym1010

Forum Donor
@zym1010 I'm looking at 8330A's for nearfield. The extra cost over the 8030's (or just something cheap with a usb input like the Vanatoo One's) is making me wince (8330A +400, Sam Module $300, USB converters) but the Hosa unit looks reasonable. Thanks for posting.

Np. The Hosa box seems the only cheap product for this job :)

Top Bottom