• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which type of conversation about Audio/Music do you really hate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arianator26

Over the past few months I actually had several conversations about music that went like this:

A: so do you like listening to music?
B: sure, who doesn’t.
A: ok which genre of music do you prefer?
B. You know - I basically listen to everything
A: (invisible eye roll) everythingl so do you like rock?
B: not really
A: metal?
B: omg wtf no.
A: hip hop?
B: maybe sometimes idk
A: maybe classical?
B: ive heard some songs I guess (yeah „songs“ sure)
A: (almost giving up) [thinking: ok that’s not going anywhere let’s try something different]
A: any artists you currently prefer?
B: yeah but cant really point at them…
A: ok what about band X?
B: never heard of them
A: what about singer y she‘s quite popular
B: idk maybe Heard- a song or two
A: what about artist Z?
A. Then what DO you listen to?
B: actually I listen to whatever comes on the radio. Charts and stuff
A: (small facepalm) ok do you like this song? (Name a few random chart songs)
B: never really heard their titles maybe
A: (big facepalm)

it’s not like im gatekeeping or anything. It’s perfectly fine to not listen to music but then say so in the first place. To me however - being a musician myself - I just can’t fathom how someone could not actively listen to music. What theyre doing is not listening. For them music is nothing but a distraction to make whatever they’re doing else less boring. Even when you’re just listening to radio pop it’s not forbidden to actively enjoy it for what it is. I mean I occasionally listen to (selected) modern pop as well and I grew to really like some artists (as you probably derive from my username). No music is void of substance and I’m the last guy to judge anyone based on their taste. however what I judge is their approach to music and the conversation that really happened like this several times is the worst approach to music one can have imo, it’s worse that not listening to any music at all.

Liya

most of the time when people say they listen
everything, what they mean is that they listen to some random pop radio.

D

Deleted member 21219

For them music is nothing but a distraction to make whatever they’re doing else less boring.

1657052117309.jpeg

tvih

I can see how that'd be annoying trying to discuss such things. As far as the distracting from boredom, dedicated listening etc... personally even if I try to just listen to music and do nothing else outwardly, my ADHD/ASD-addled brain is racing all over the place. I can enjoy the music - and indeed do listen to a wide-ish variety - and prefer it at a nice quality (within the limits of my level of hearing anyway). But for example I rarely know anything about the lyrics, instead just taking in the whole sonic experience as such. And given how much music I listen, it's generally just listening to full albums at once via streaming, so usually I have little idea about song names either. And very often I don't even remember what songs an artist that I liked has until listening to said artist again and recognizing the songs. Even then not all of them by any means, but yet I enjoy them each time.

Definitely not your typical listener, but as the saying at least in our country goes, there's people for every train, and some are even left behind at the station :D

As for what kind I personally hate? Well. I'm not sure what it'd be for music, but for this hobby as a whole I reckon number one would easily be the whole subjectivist vs objectivist "debate". Just endless number of threads with endless number of posts of people arguing about something that no one participating is ever going to change their mind about, and things generelly becoming varying levels of nasty. It could just as well be discussing religion.

Katji

Major Contributor
ja, there's 2 kinds of people. Everyone likes music, no-one will say they don't like music, but some people love music, it's more important to them, or the main thing. Like DJs/producers say. But they don't realise that it doesn't stay like all the time - it gets overridden by work and children and so on. ...That's the simple version of my story.

FF to the last 8 years, audiophilism. Fxck me. One of the weird things about it is, all this fuss about hi-fi, and so many of them listen to..well, what I think is crap, like I thought was crap 50 years ago and I still do. And that so many of them are stuck listening to what they listened to 40-50 years ago. Good grief. [tbc]

OP
A

Arianator26

ja, there's 2 kinds of people. Everyone likes music, no-one will say they don't like music, but some people love music, it's more important to them, or the main thing. Like DJs/producers say. But they don't realise that it doesn't stay like all the time - it gets overridden by work and children and so on. ...That's the simple version of my story.

FF to the last 8 years, audiophilism. Fxck me. One of the weird things about it is, all this fuss about hi-fi, and so many of them listen to..well, what I think is crap, like I thought was crap 50 years ago and I still do. And that so many of them are stuck listening to what they listened to 40-50 years ago. Good grief. [tbc]
Well it has been scientifically proven that the type of music you listen until you’re 30 will determine what you listen to for the rest of your life so it’s only natural that people like the same stuff they liked 50 years ago

Edit: Also your first paragraph is not entirely true. 20ish years ago we had an insurance guy visit our home and during talking we got into music when he said that he doesn’t listen to music at all so apparently these people exist

Katji

Major Contributor
Edit: Also your first paragraph is not entirely true. 20ish years ago we had an insurance guy visit our home and during talking we got into music when he said that he doesn’t listen to music at all so apparently these people exist
Yes of course it's not entirely true, it's a general generalisation. ;) I once knew someone who said he didn't like music, but he only liked CRASS. It wasn't quite true because he also liked Killing Joke.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For them music is nothing but a distraction to make whatever they’re doing else less boring.

Reminds me of the old 90's quote about Kenny G: Music for people who don't really like music. (People who only owned 5 or 10 CDs would have a Kenny G album in there).

BTW, as to annoyances concerning music conversations, I strive to push back cynicism (e.g. my own about some current popular music; Old Man Yelling At Cloud is harder to resist the older I get).

On that note:

1657055990648.jpeg

:D

OP
A

Arianator26

Reminds me of the old 90's quote about Kenny G: Music for people who don't really like music. (People who only owned 5 or 10 CDs would have a Kenny G album in there).

BTW, as to annoyances concerning music conversations, I strive to push back cynicism (e.g. my own about some current popular music; Old Man Yelling At Cloud is harder to resist the older I get).

On that note:

View attachment 216658

:D
:D ABBA is Fine. They do have some bangers but are overall too cheesy for my taste. When it comes to the 70s I prefer the rock/hard rock side of things

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
:D ABBA is Fine. They do have some bangers but are overall too cheesy for my taste. When it comes to the 70s I prefer the rock/hard rock side of things

I sure get that. I was just blasting Queen's News Of The World album, moments ago, on my stereo!

As to ABBA, given how ubiquitous their music is, there could be nothing more banal than becoming an ABBA fan. There's just nothing interesting about it.
I was never a fan growing up, their music holds no nostalgic value at all for me. And yet last year I got sucked down the ABBA rabbit hole with a deep appreciation for their musical talent, to the point I can even enjoy some of their cheesy stuff. Perhaps I should see a doctor.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Usual audiophile BS: "we have tested these speakers with all kinds of music". No, you haven't.

The system is so revealing and detailed that I hunged myself after discovering even deeper depression in Unknown Pleasures from Joy Division.

D

Deleted member 21219

As for what kind I personally hate? Well. I'm not sure what it'd be for music, but for this hobby as a whole I reckon number one would easily be the whole subjectivist vs objectivist "debate". Just endless number of threads with endless number of posts of people arguing about something that no one participating is ever going to change their mind about, and things generelly becoming varying levels of nasty. It could just as well be discussing religion.

Quite perceptive! ;) Jim

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
Talking to people who think music is bad because they don't like it. And they only like 30 year old music or new music from bands that are 30 years old.

itz_all_about_the_music

Over the past few months I actually had several conversations about music that went like this:

A: (almost giving up) [thinking: ok that’s not going anywhere let’s try something different]

it’s not like im gatekeeping or anything. It’s perfectly fine to not listen to music but then say so in the first place. To me however - being a musician myself - I just can’t fathom how someone could not actively listen to music. What theyre doing is not listening. For them music is nothing but a distraction to make whatever they’re doing else less boring. Even when you’re just listening to radio pop it’s not forbidden to actively enjoy it for what it is. I mean I occasionally listen to (selected) modern pop as well and I grew to really like some artists (as you probably derive from my username). No music is void of substance and I’m the last guy to judge anyone based on their taste. however what I judge is their approach to music and the conversation that really happened like this several times is the worst approach to music one can have imo, it’s worse that not listening to any music at all.
The ones that have nothing whatsoever to do with audio/video, like this forum. Oh, and the ones about coffee, food, vehicles, Batman, what you're wearing, and other such

it’s not like im gatekeeping or anything. It’s perfectly fine to not listen to music but then say so in the first place. To me however - being a musician myself - I just can’t fathom how someone could not actively listen to music. What theyre doing is not listening. For them music is nothing but a distraction to make whatever they’re doing else less boring. Even when you’re just listening to radio pop it’s not forbidden to actively enjoy it for what it is. I mean I occasionally listen to (selected) modern pop as well and I grew to really like some artists (as you probably derive from my username). No music is void of substance and I’m the last guy to judge anyone based on their taste. however what I judge is their approach to music and the conversation that really happened like this several times is the worst approach to music one can have imo, it’s worse that not listening to any music at all.ex
Conversations that have nothing to do with audio/video like this Forum, and about only coffee, food, Batman, what you're wearing, and such pablum.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
With that questions i also had lost fun in the conversation.

Katji

Major Contributor
I sure get that. I was just blasting Queen's News Of The World album, moments ago, on my stereo!

As to ABBA, given how ubiquitous their music is, there could be nothing more banal than becoming an ABBA fan. There's just nothing interesting about it.
I was never a fan growing up, their music holds no nostalgic value at all for me. And yet last year I got sucked down the ABBA rabbit hole with a deep appreciation for their musical talent, to the point I can even enjoy some of their cheesy stuff. Perhaps I should see a doctor.
100% agree. Including the last part. More objective view. ...It's like when I watch Britain's Got Talent. It's not music I like, I just appreciate the effort, the whole production.

Katji

Major Contributor
Oh yes, that might be one my non-favorites about music itself: "no one makes good music anymore". Such a load of bullshit.
+ You don't need money to buy a guitar and amp or drum kit, you can start with a simple PC and cracked version of Fruity Loops or something. One young guy here created a new subgenre, in a tin shack outbuilding, a year or so later he was doing a tour, London, Berlin, NYC. That's a good thing. Not only one in the corrugated iron shack; they have to stop when it rains.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom