• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New music discovery?

TLEDDY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
What do you use for new music discovery? I mostly listen to Qobuz, but they are really bad at picking music I will like.

Both Spotify and YouTube Music seem to be better at picking music I will like based on what I have listened to previously.

I've done a little reading about Roon. Is it worth it?

One could try ASR’s “What are we listening to right now”. (The thread I am referencing has over 1000 entries! ) The varied taste of the Hive has introduced me
to MANY new music genre that I would not have experienced otherwise!

OP
Brian Hall

Brian Hall

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
One could try ASR’s “What are we listening to right now”. (The thread I am referencing has over 1000 entries! ) The varied taste of the Hive has introduced me
to MANY new music genre that I would not have experienced otherwise!

Yes, I have found some things I like from that thread.

I really like the French radio station FIP for discovering new music. According to their description:

'All music programming is hand-picked by a small team of curators, who create three-hour blocks of music. They abide by a few rules, most notably paying close attention to how tracks transition from one to the other, across genres and styles, and especially making sure that a song is never played twice in a 48-hour window. FIP broadcasts around 16,000 artists and 44,000 different songs every year; 85% of its programming comes from independent labels.'

Also, as was mentioned earlier, KEXP, and also Audiotree are really nice for live performances, as is NPR tiny desk, all on YouTube.

For classical I'm really liking the new Apple classical app. Apple Music in general is quite good for recommendations and artist/curated playlists.

Edit: also a good tip, if you hear something you like, save it to a library or playlist. I often think I'll find this again later but I never do.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
A friend of a friend recently introduced me to this site: https://everynoise.com/

It maps every genre of music on Spotify according to the character of the music, Up/down = artificial/organic, left/right = smooth/dynamic.

Is that a good way to characterize all music at once? I don't know. But I think you can find something you know you like and check out genres adjacent to that. I just jumped in there and it seems like a VERY fast way to break out of usual ruts. Apparently I am now listening to traditional Zulu music.

That is epic.

Naturally I tested it at once. The first try Banshee (aka Rachel Knight, not the group) was a miss (fairy metal really isn't viral rap) but it nailed the next one, Swan Meat (well almost, sludge goa appears to be missing as a sub-genre, but that's forgivable). I went obscure, of course. No point in an easy test.

Great piece of analysis/API work overall. Also "be calmly aware that this may periodically expand, contract or combust" :D

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Swan Meat (well almost, sludge goa appears to be missing as a sub-genre, but that's forgivable). I went obscure, of course. No point in an easy test.

giphy.gif

I thought I knew about electronic music, but frankly I gave up on tracking sub-genres a long time ago. Consider my card trumped. :D

Axo1989

Major Contributor
giphy.gif

I thought I knew about electronic music, but frankly I gave up on tracking sub-genres a long time ago. Consider my card trumped. :D

Haha. Yes, an impossible taxonomy to stay current in !!

I don't really try either tbh, my knowledge is incidental/stochastic. Turns out she (aka Reba Fay) has <9000 Spotify followers, so satisfyingly obscure. But my favourite techno-adjacent artist nonetheless (and quite the modern music historian for her tender years). Sludge goa is a self-termed micro-genre (from her track Sludge of course) so likely has only one extant example. I generally think of her recent stuff as hardcore meets Fiddler on the Roof so absolutely not Autechre. But do try the reggae remix (by Manuka Honey) of her otherwise hardcore techno track Perfect Cherry Blossom (it's on the Blood Supernova Remixed EP) if you find yourself in the mood for some well-crafted genre-bending entertainment.

Last edited:
Top Bottom