• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which TPA3255 amp do you recommend?

• Thread starter Deleted member 9685
  • Start date

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Can you bridge the Aiyima A07 with a 4 Ohm load? Or does it require a completely different circuitry for PBTL performance?

sergedc

Hi, has anyone tried this?

It looks like it could be good, with its own 800W power supply, and 2*TP3255 amps based on Zero Zone boards.

Total capacitance of 37400 uF (11000 in the power supply and 13200*2 in amps)

I cannot find anything online about it. It might be quite new (only 1 order, 0 review on aliexpress)

john11

There are a lot of pages to this thread and a lot of differing opinions, to dumb it down for non-experts like me, which is your favourite TPA32xx mono amp, price about 100 - 150 pounds approximatly, ready built amp, not boards. And your favourite stereo amp as well with dual mono boads.

Wheely

Micheal Beeny gave this board a good review. apparently it has good clean output & stays cool. There are 2 versions I can see. One with a blue power terminal and one with the green power terminal. Also some differences in the appearance of the fans. Some appear to have authentic nvidia cooling fans. looks like a simple, high performance unit.
Screenshot_20230224-101717.jpg

Looks awesome
Screenshot_20230225-150458.jpg
Screenshot_20230224-101717.jpg

Last edited:

john11

Thanks. Looks like a nice board, i'm more after a fully built amplifier. I have built a few amps from boards, and considering the amount of time and effort that goes in i am better off buying a completed amp.

Wheely

Thats what I thought I wanted also. But I buy a A07 pro and the bluetooth was terrible. no volume, it played as if my phone volume was at 1/3. so I sent it back. I found a preamp & bluetooth 5.0 receiver that will guaranteed work better than an all in one. but who really knows. You can get that dual core amp for the price of a single core all in one, . I know you have to connect the components & power everything individually but I found a preamp and bluetooth reciever that will both run on 20 volts (im using 20 volt batteries) so it works great for me. ill let you know how it works out

john11

Thats what I thought I wanted also. But I buy a A07 pro and the bluetooth was terrible. no volume, it played as if my phone volume was at 1/3. so I sent it back. I found a preamp & bluetooth 5.0 receiver that will guaranteed work better than an all in one. but who really knows. You can get that dual core amp for the price of a single core all in one, . I know you have to connect the components & power everything individually but I found a preamp and bluetooth reciever that will both run on 20 volts (im using 20 volt batteries) so it works great for me. ill let you know how it works out

I do like aiyima amps, they are reasonably priced, performance can good , you get a lot for the amount of money you spend. What did you think of the A07 pro, sound quality, build quality?

Overseas

Major Contributor

Wheely

I do like aiyima amps, they are reasonably priced, performance can good , you get a lot for the amount of money you spend. What did you think of the A07 pro, sound quality, build quality?
I think when you put each piece together individually, i.e the bluetooth module, preamp, amp etc, you can get pieces that are better all around than the components they stuff into the all in one amps. For example, I found what looks to be a excellent bluetooth module with antenna & qualcomm 5.0 chip & another few pieces in it to restore audio quality etc. looks better than what they include in the 'all in one' amps. Also found a really nice looking preamp that has replacable op amps and excellent connection options. I havent put my system together yet but I believe in seperate components. cheaper too potentially. Im using 20 volt batteries and was able to find components that run on various voltage up to 20volts so thats not an issue for me. Everything can easily be powered & connected with 3 pin cables or 3.5mm audio jacks. makes the project more fun. building custom cases & all the different ways to put it all together.

Aiyima seems good but they obviously didnt work out the technical issues involving the functionality of the bluetooth within the amplifier. So im going to put something together that should blow it away. double the power and maybe even better sound for only 70$ more

Last edited:

john11

I've only ever built one class-d amp, using a tpa3116 board from china which i modded up and used a very high quality power supply with it. I have also built a few transistor amps using high quality transistors and components, and i have to say the class-d amps keep up very well with the transitors, lower power consumption as well, lighter and smaller. I know some people mock the 3116, but if implemented right it can sound very good, certainly gave my class-A transistor amps a hard time

john11

I think when you put each piece together individually, i.e the bluetooth module, preamp, amp etc, you can get pieces that are better all around than the components they stuff into the all in one amps. For example, I found what looks to be a excellent bluetooth module with antenna & qualcomm 5.0 chip & another few pieces in it to restore audio quality etc. looks better than what they include in the 'all in one' amps. Also found a really nice looking preamp that has replacable op amps and excellent connection options. I havent put my system together yet but I believe in seperate components. cheaper too potentially. Im using 20 volt batteries and was able to find components that run on various voltage up to 20volts so thats not an issue for me. Everything can easily be powered & connected with 3 pin cables or 3.5mm audio jacks. makes the project more fun. building custom cases & all the different ways to put it all together.

Aiyima seems good but they obviously didnt work out the technical issues involving the functionality of the bluetooth within the amplifier. So im going to put something together that should blow it away. double the power and maybe even better sound for only 70$ more

Excellent suggestions! That's why i always put up questions here first to find all this out, so i can avoid the crappy amps.
It's just, at the moment, it's difficult to find the time to build amps from scratch, so i would much rather buy a ready made amp with good reviews and recommendations. It's easy to mod up the amps with better caps, inductors and PSU etc at a later date once time becomes available

Last edited:

john11

Any opinion on this?

A nice amp but very pricey for what it delivers. There are better implementations of the 3255 chip, this audiophonics offering is okay but nothing special.
Competition for this would be the aiyima D03 and A07

Overseas

Major Contributor
A nice amp but very pricey for what it delivers. There are better implementations of the 3255 chip, this audiophonics offering is okay but nothing special.
Competition for this would be the aiyima D03 and A07
I see USB input, LDAC and ESS DAC, also relatively high power as pluses for the French.

john11

The aiyima sells well, more people are choosing the aiyima than the french, perhaps there is something there. Maybe. Most people do a search and read comments and threads before making a purchase. I have heard plenty about the aiyima A04, seems like a very nice amp and at fifty bucks you can't go wrong. If you have the time you can try upgrading inductors psu op-amps to take the A04 to a very high level. I heard the french and was not overly impressed. Also the price of the french is very high and puts me off straight away

Wheely

Excellent suggestions! That's why i always put up questions here first to find all this out, so i can avoid the crappy amps.
It's just, at the moment, it's difficult to find the time to build amps from scratch, so i would much rather buy a ready made amp with good reviews and recommendations. It's easy to mod up the amps with better caps, inductors and PSU etc at a later date once time becomes available
maybe you or someone here can inform me of the different ways to upgrade this dual core amp. I know a bit from reading here and there. Anyway, I have high hopes for this dual core TPA3255 amp & I have already purchased one based on Micheal Beeny's review of the item. He claims it sounds good, puts out impressive power, doesnt get hot, & he claims it could very likely be an authentic TPA3255 chip & other components. Im curious about these surface mount TL072 op amps. Also it has written on the board '680uf' caps & there are actually 470uf installed. Id like to see Mr. Scrufboy go all out on one of these with all the discrete op amps and upgraded caps & heat sinks, inductors etc
Screenshot_20230302-104636.jpg

Last edited:

john11

What do you think of the tpa3221.
I've read a few posts and people are saying it is as good or better than the tpa3255,
eg people seem to prefer the aiyima A04 with the tpa3221 against the A07 with the tpa 3255.
And it's not just the aiyima, it's other amps as well.
A fever dual mono tpa 3221 did very well. According to TI the tpa3255 is the better chip, so is it the implementation? The tpa3221 seems a simpler amp without need of input op-amps and surrounding component count is a lot lower as well. Is a simpler layout better as there are less components to get in the way of the signal and colour the signal.
Sometimes when amps are switched to " direct mode " and the signal goes straight into the power amp, the amp usually sound better.

john11

Okay, but is there a general consesus of the 3221 chip. Does it compare well against the 3255, or is it a no contest

grogi.giant

What do you think of the tpa3221.
I've read a few posts and people are saying it is as good or better than the tpa3255,
eg people seem to prefer the aiyima A04 with the tpa3221 against the A07 with the tpa 3255.
And it's not just the aiyima, it's other amps as well.
A fever dual mono tpa 3221 did very well. According to TI the tpa3255 is the better chip, so is it the implementation? The tpa3221 seems a simpler amp without need of input op-amps and surrounding component count is a lot lower as well. Is a simpler layout better as there are less components to get in the way of the signal and colour the signal.
Sometimes when amps are switched to " direct mode " and the signal goes straight into the power amp, the amp usually sound better.
A04 has TPA3251, not TPA3221.

TPA3221 is like half of the TPA3251, doesn't have SE mode and its distortion figures are 2-3x higher in stereo application.

Last edited:
Top Bottom