• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which TPA3255 amp do you recommend?

• Thread starter Deleted member 9685
  • Start date

milus

We have tried to change the chip to OPA2134PA and LM4562NA on A07, the sound improved a lot, especially when LM4562NA is used.

It is recommended to use LM4562, which has a wide operating voltage range and ultra-low distortion.
LM4562 is a high-fidelity dual op amp introduced by National Semiconductor Corporation in recent years. Its distortion is very small, with only 0.00003% total harmonic distortion and noise (THD+N). In other words, the distortion of this op amp is almost negligible.
The LM4562 chip has the advantages of extremely low distortion rate, low noise, high conversion rate, wide operating voltage range and larger output current, and its performance is unprecedented. Because this operational amplifier has these advantages, it is suitable for professional and high-end audio systems, such as audio-visual system receivers, pre-amplifiers, audio decoders and high-fidelity power amplifiers, as well as various medical imaging systems and industrial equipment.
The design of the LM4562 chip is very unique, not only a built-in high-speed 6MHz unity gain bandwidth operational amplifier, but also a proprietary stereo audio driver amplifier. Under standard working conditions, the input noise density of this operational amplifier is as low as 2.7nV/√Hz, the noise corner of the intermediate frequency is up to 60Hz, the output current is up to 26mA, and it can drive a load of 600Ω. The conversion rate of the LM4562 chip is up to 20V/μs, and the gain bandwidth product is up to 55MHz.
The LM4562 chip can maintain stable operation within a supply voltage range of ±2.5V to ±17V, with a maximum output current of up to 45mA. When the chip is operated within the above-mentioned supply voltage range, the common mode rejection ratio (CMRR) and power supply rejection ratio (PSRR) of the input circuit are both as high as 108dB or more, and the input bias current is as low as 10μA (typical value).

@AIYIMA Sorry but, are there any measurements supporting this claim or is it just a subjective opinion?

This seems not to be the case for A04 model:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...his-tpa3251-amplifier.9191/page-3#post-541822

Apparently there is little benefit in changing OPAs there.

daniboun

Major Contributor
@AIYIMA Sorry but, are there any measurements supporting this claim or is it just a subjective opinion?

This seems not to be the case for A04 model:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...his-tpa3251-amplifier.9191/page-3#post-541822

Apparently there is little benefit in changing OPAs there.

100% True ! But updating OP Amps also gives you a "coloring", I tested many OP Amps and any expert ear can perceive a difference between an OPA1656 and NE5532 for example ...

maxxevv

Major Contributor
You won't get any Genuine OP amps from ali ! Forget it
Here some trust links :

https://www.audiophonics.fr/fr/composants-electronique-aop-c-374.html

OPA1656 need adapter to fit on DIP8 socket.

bushellj is the member to contact for getting ready to use OPA1656

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/members/bushellj.html

Or get it below :

https://www.ebay.fr/itm/OPA1656-Sou...993267?hash=item366aad8f33:g:tJgAAOSwLIZeD4j8

The best alternative to OPA1656 is OPA1612, they are really pretty close )

https://www.audiophonics.fr/fr/comp...op/opa1612-aop-double-dip8-unite-p-14507.html

If you're up to the task of SMT soldering, I would suggest getting from Mouser or RS-components or Element 4 for all your Opamps .

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
100% True ! But updating OP Amps also gives you a "coloring", I tested many OP Amps and any expert ear can perceive a difference between an OPA1656 and NE5532 for example ...
Uh-huh.

aon500

LOL 53V... you go over the limit of the TPA3255 chip itself ) be realist bro !
A cheap tone control makes no sense.... you will deteriorate THD

I hate cheap tone control too but both 3116 and 3255 + my mordaunt short mezzo 6 have too much bass.

I'm realist man from 3255 sheet typ. 51V , max. 53.5V

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    572.2 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:

Toku

Major Contributor
Regarding the working voltage of TPA3255, the data sheet shows that it can be used up to 53.5V, but AIYIMA A07 cannot be used with a power supply voltage of 53.5V.
The reason is that the withstand voltage of the block electrolytic capacitor of the power supply circuit is 50V.
No matter how much the power supply voltage is raised, 48V is the limit.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Just a little question here. How much do you care about the less ideal performance from 3255 3251 based amps? say comparing to 1et400a or nc400.
Is it because of the price? Or the small and convenient form factor? What is the ideal use case do you think of the 3255, Bluetooth, DAC integrated design? Or just relativelyhigh power in a small box with analogue in.

0hm357aW

In addition, our engineers want me to ask if A04/A07 is upgraded, what functions do you want to add?
1. Fiber coaxial
2. Bluetooth
3. 2.1CH
4. PC USB

These all sound good. I suggest WiFi 6 integration into high quality parallel amplifier circuit that bypasses the main amplifier for external audio balanced audio signal inputs.

For practicality I think a high quality audio/data signal card with WIFI 6/Bluetooth 5.0 with high quality isolated PCB card design with sound processing or DAC with good separate isolated ground legs from main amp board to keep ghost voltage away.
This type of high quality card would be great for wireless high quality streaming.

Something like this in your own flavor as high quality and low price value as possible to increase nice high quality audiophile product availability to the masses.

Thank you.

I saw something like this on ebay I wanted to show you for reference but I can't find it anymore. Basically a high quality affordable TPA3255 based amplifier with built in signal sound processor/DAC and blue tooth 5.0 but it didn't have the Wifi 6 which I have seen is missing from many big brand applications like this.

milus

Just a little question here. How much do you care about the less ideal performance from 3255 3251 based amps? say comparing to 1et400a or nc400.
Is it because of the price? Or the small and convenient form factor? What is the ideal use case do you think of the 3255, Bluetooth, DAC integrated design? Or just relatively high power in a small box with analogue in.

I can just answer for myself :D Price!
And that includes Infineon Merus.
I don't care about small boxes, furthermore I'd like them with the power supply integrated in the same box. I'm tired of too much bricks hooked to wall outlets.
This two things will suffice my interests... by now.
A remote will be ok, too.
Then I could think of more functionalities: a preamp with coax and digital inputs, bluetooth, etc. but this will fit in another price category (and up we can go: streamer, balanced outputs, etc.)

Karu

Forum Donor
Is it because of the price? Or the small and convenient form factor? What is the ideal use case do you think of the 3255, Bluetooth, DAC integrated design? Or just relativelyhigh power in a small box with analogue in.

Cheap. Enough power. Would rather have a Pi based bridge/streamer than bluetooth.

aon500

I can just answer for myself :D Price!
And that includes Infineon Merus.
I don't care about small boxes, furthermore I'd like them with the power supply integrated in the same box. I'm tired of too much bricks hooked to wall outlets.
This two things will suffice my interests... by now.
A remote will be ok, too.
Then I could think of more functionalities: a preamp with coax and digital inputs, bluetooth, etc. but this will fit in another price category (and up we can go: streamer, balanced outputs, etc.)

remote remote remote please!!!

AIYIMA

Audio Company
Forum Donor
If someone sends to amirm an AIYIMA A07, he will measure it. Only people living in the United States can do that.
We have sent a DAC to Amirm.

BillG

Major Contributor

Price, good enough performance to achieve the lenient thresholds for transparency, and a small, convenient form factor.

In terms of integration, these would be my ideal:

Remote control (mandatory)

2x analog inputs (mandatory)

2x digital inputs and an internal DAC (optional, but it sure would put a smile on my face and I'd be much more likely to open my wallet.)

Headphone amp/port (borderline mandatory but I'd somewhat begrudgingly consider it to be optional. It doesn't need to be SOTA)

On board Wi-Fi streaming via Google Cast, AirPlay and DLNA/UPnP at a minimum (optional)

Bluetooth (optional)

theyellowspecial

Forum Donor
In addition, our engineers want me to ask if A04/A07 is upgraded, what functions do you want to add?
1. Fiber coaxial
2. Bluetooth
3. 2.1CH
4. PC USB
Probably most around here would want 2.1CH from that list.

Since my only source is PC I would want 4 (or 5.1) CH with internal PSU. :)

cyberzigot

What i am looking for:
- price
- form factor. Medium size is acceptable with internal power supply. Not looking for full size form factor.
- remote control is really nice to have but not a deal breaker
- rather not have bluetooth if this compromises the sound
- dac not required as we prefer playing around with wonderful dacs in the market now. A sub-standard dac will also weaken the quality of bluetooth decoding.

simosm

New to the forum, hi all!
I have been reading a lot about the best TPA325x to get, but I am still a bit confused. Given that the 3e Audio finished amps are not available to buy at the moment (and in any case would need to be ordered from China which means customs for EU), what do you think is the best option currently:
- Aiyima A07/TPA3255 or A04/TPA3251? I understand A04 was the better option with the old Tilear black PCB, but with the new version reduced quality components, is it still a better sound to A07? The difference in power is of no concern for my use
- are non-branded TPA3255 with same box as Aiyima A07 actually the same, or any chance they have better components? For example this one: https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/inte...reo-class-d-tpa3255-2x225w-4-ohm-p-14693.html? I cannot spot a difference in the PCB/components, but someone more expert maybe?
Thanks!

Top Bottom