• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which DAC measurements do you like to see next?

beeface

I'd actually be happy for Amir to take a little break from measuring DACs to focus on other gear (unless a DAC has a real point of difference to everything else on the market) :)

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company

KeithPhantom

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
What about the Hidizs S9 Pro. The only review I can see of them is the regular S8 and S9. They tout the S9 Pro as better than the regular S9. I would like to know how it measures.

Kevbaz

I would love to see the below tested.
Hidizs S9pro
Chord Dave
Cheers
Kevin

Yasser 06

Would love to read a review of the Advance Paris DX1 or of some Fostex. Some high end vintage Benchmark would be nice too.

I don't care about DSP, MAQ or rates higher then 192.

My question are : is the DX1 not better than a 100 dollar 2021 DAC? Is a 2005 benchmark DAC that was released at 2000 dollar worst than a curent days bargain FX audio X6 ... etc ...

I contacted Advance Paris and they told me that they plan to get into the promotion of their products on the web (forum, youtubers) in 2022, so they would probably agree to send a unit to be reviewed.

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Which DAC measurements do you like to see next?
Ya know, I realized I have a Monolith by Monoprice USB DAC https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=29512 which I could send to be tested. It was gifted to me by a friend but I could easily spare it, as I'm not listening to headphones so much. Also it doesn't seem to have much more drive voltage than my MacBook Air.*

We're also swapping out a Denon AVR-X3600H, would you be interested in testing a second sample?

*I have 600 ohm AKG K240DFs, and IIRC the Monolith clips at just 2V. Anyone know a tiny DAC like this with more voltage?

dealpapa

S.M.S.L A12​

Reviewed in the United States on September 2, 2021
Verified Purchase
I was looking for an inexpensive amp for a second system powering some outstanding NHT speakers. I figured this unit would be marginally better than the AD18 powering my television speakers. What sold me on this amp is the Infineon chip that is used in much higher priced amps. I considered the well reviewed Aiyima A07, but without digital inputs it would need an external dac. The SMSL A12 HAS A usb input meaning an internal dac. Frankly at a $90 price I didn't expect the dac to be very good, so when I hooked my amp up to my system I decided to try the usb port thinking I would eventually use my Soundavo dac into the rca input. As soon as I turned it on I was wowed by the spaciousness, tonal accuracy and solid bass coming from my speakers. Sound signature is natural and dynamic. It sounded so good I decided to try it in my main system powering Elac Debut Reference speakers. These speakers can sound a little bloated but with this little amp they became very resolving with a large sound stage and great instrument separation. The internal dac is surprisingly good, and is probably worth the price on its own. I am amazed you can get such quality sound for so little. Solid five stars. Well done SMSL!
Update: I experienced an inability to turn off my amplifier as did another reviewer. It started intermittently at first about a week after purchase, then became permanent. I tried to wiggle the switch left and right and up and down to no avail. I even contacted the seller who did not respond to my inquiry. Then I contacted Amazon to try to get the matter resolved, but got involved we in one long negotiation. I gave up and went back to trying to solve the problem. This time I pushed inward on the switch, feeling a springy reaction from the switch. When it bottomed out I switched it off and it worked! I then switched it back on and normally turned it off successfully. It worked normally several times afterward except one time when I successfully used the technique described above. If you are having this problem I suggest you try this method. This is now a minor inconvenience rather than a deal breaker and the sound from it is still outstanding.

Nils030

Please test Merging Anubis! Merging has huge a reputation in classic music recording and the Anubis is the first device designed for smaller studios. It would be great to know where it stands compared to the usual once like ua apollo or focusrite.

JohnM-73

+2 Chord Dave, or a TT2.

Also interested in the Naim Uniti Atom, or Uniti Atom Headphone Edition. Good looking (well I think so) and well built all-in-one units.

Veri

Master Contributor
Project Box S2 +
Guess it's not this?

Top Bottom