• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which DAC measurements do you like to see next?

Muff Deterrent

What I would like to see is a DAC that looks meh on paper, but sounds wow and costs +~- $100. Circa 2005 DAC's were still esoterica and frankly, I never heard good sound coming out of an Altoid tin. Back then I was into gaming so the name Sound Blaster was familiar to me... and not necessarilly in a good sense. My audiophile yearnings were met with two-way, upper-tier setup that were much too pampered to be let near my computers lest a wonky sound wave blemishes a component. Naturally like every other uppity "audiophile" I reacted the same way to "Sound Blaster" than to Bose: shock horror. But at least the SB's looked okay... as far as computer components go. Also with Ad Lib and the buggy Yamaha cards for competitors SB held that market all by itself, excluding pro DSP gear that cost an arm and a leg. BUt one day I read an extrely well-written article about how DSP was getting rid of the bugs that plagued analog SP. Just for kicks I enquired around and ended up buying the Sound Blaster SB1240 aka X-Fi Music Premium, bridged it between my desktop and audio preamp, slid in Moving Pictures by (no need to mention the household band that composed it here?) in the cd player and... holy crap that combo kicked premium butt! SQ-wise.

I thought I was dreming but no, recording after recording rolled out as if borne by angels (or devils). Sound was crisp, clear, detailed and nicely shaped with tones and textures I had never known existed on those recordings before (take that Naim, hope you had fun with my $3,000 I shelled out for the receiver I bought from you and it still sounds okay but to think a decent Mobo/PSU/USB-powered DAC costing less than a grand could whack the transistors out of you was a humbling experience, and the beginning of my life as a desktop audio fiend, but don't worry too much I still listen to phones made by your French sibling Focal). 2 decades later and the dcidedly chi-fi friendly USB DAC sector has made giant leaps both in market penetration, value and performance. Keeping in mind however that USB DAC's are very dependent on PSU output power stability and that mobo's must have advanced. well-designed features to keep EMI under control because that makes a huge difference. If you're just looking to save a buck by using a USB-powered DAC with a cheap or even average Mobo/PSU tandem don't bother. it will sound like like crap. USB DAC's may be affordable but they are finicky on what you feed them with and what they in turn feed your audio system. Forget about the integrated HP amps on them, most if not none can swing the volts even for a miserly (but graciously designed)18-Ohm Hifiman Sundara. USB-powered DAC's are just that, DAC's.

Preaching to the choir I suppose but after that initial experience I dabbled with dozens of DAC's USB-powered or otherwise and I found that when it comes to sheer meatiness and massive impact with low distortion USB-powered DAC's have it easy against tiny little self-powered USB's. In fact it's hard to find one that costs less than $1,000. That being said I have two among my DAC's that could be called "high-end" if that term wasn't so uppity as to be sanctimonious to those who have to contend with "lesser" gear. I have the claassic venerable Naim DAC-V1 ($3,500 iirc) and the Marantz HD DAC . Both have qualities that USB-powered DAC's don't, and they don't require complex drivers. Oops sorry about lanching into a hobby I couldn't live without anymore. You're in luck, I have a sudden urge for pulling out my old SB$) and listen to Lee Ritenour. See ya! :)

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What I would like to see is a DAC that looks meh on paper, but sounds wow and costs +~- $100. Circa 2005 DAC's were still esoterica and frankly, I never heard good sound coming out of an Altoid tin. Back then I was into gaming so the name Sound Blaster was familiar to me... and not necessarilly in a good sense. My audiophile yearnings were met with two-way, upper-tier setup that were much too pampered to be let near my computers lest a wonky sound wave blemishes a component. Naturally like every other uppity "audiophile" I reacted the same way to "Sound Blaster" than to Bose: shock horror. But at least the SB's looked okay... as far as computer components go. Also with Ad Lib and the buggy Yamaha cards for competitors SB held that market all by itself, excluding pro DSP gear that cost an arm and a leg. BUt one day I read an extrely well-written article about how DSP was getting rid of the bugs that plagued analog SP. Just for kicks I enquired around and ended up buying the Sound Blaster SB1240 aka X-Fi Music Premium, bridged it between my desktop and audio preamp, slid in Moving Pictures by (no need to mention the household band that composed it here?) in the cd player and... holy crap that combo kicked premium butt! SQ-wise.

I thought I was dreming but no, recording after recording rolled out as if borne by angels (or devils). Sound was crisp, clear, detailed and nicely shaped with tones and textures I had never known existed on those recordings before (take that Naim, hope you had fun with my $3,000 I shelled out for the receiver I bought from you and it still sounds okay but to think a decent Mobo/PSU/USB-powered DAC costing less than a grand could whack the transistors out of you was a humbling experience, and the beginning of my life as a desktop audio fiend, but don't worry too much I still listen to phones made by your French sibling Focal). 2 decades later and the dcidedly chi-fi friendly USB DAC sector has made giant leaps both in market penetration, value and performance. Keeping in mind however that USB DAC's are very dependent on PSU output power stability and that mobo's must have advanced. well-designed features to keep EMI under control because that makes a huge difference. If you're just looking to save a buck by using a USB-powered DAC with a cheap or even average Mobo/PSU tandem don't bother. it will sound like like crap. USB DAC's may be affordable but they are finicky on what you feed them with and what they in turn feed your audio system. Forget about the integrated HP amps on them, most if not none can swing the volts even for a miserly (but graciously designed)18-Ohm Hifiman Sundara. USB-powered DAC's are just that, DAC's.

Preaching to the choir I suppose but after that initial experience I dabbled with dozens of DAC's USB-powered or otherwise and I found that when it comes to sheer meatiness and massive impact with low distortion USB-powered DAC's have it easy against tiny little self-powered USB's. In fact it's hard to find one that costs less than $1,000. That being said I have two among my DAC's that could be called "high-end" if that term wasn't so uppity as to be sanctimonious to those who have to contend with "lesser" gear. I have the claassic venerable Naim DAC-V1 ($3,500 iirc) and the Marantz HD DAC . Both have qualities that USB-powered DAC's don't, and they don't require complex drivers. Oops sorry about lanching into a hobby I couldn't live without anymore. You're in luck, I have a sudden urge for pulling out my old SB$) and listen to Lee Ritenour. See ya! :)

So, just to clarify, your contention is that a DAC whose only source of power is USB from the computer/ phone that is also sending the signal cant match for sound quality a DAC that takes signal from the same device but powered from the wall?

win

I hear Amir has a venu360 in the queue and I am very eager to see that one. Hoping the ADC and DAC are both tested as I use it's analog input.

Gremlins

Hello folks,

This little tube preamp with dac just got my attention

I did some google searches, seems that some forums arround world talk about it, amazon has some good reviews too

Its cheap but seems people rave about in their systems

One forum particullarly get my attention, its one french forum ro read with google translation is very active about it, especially that guy name jalhoucine that talks about it evry day since months

Has anyone tested it? Does amir plan to test it?

When i read that forum, it seems that this little preamp would over beat preamps far more expensive?

Does anyone plan to test it?

Gremlins

Was about to say the same. Everything from the beginning looks much more like trolling than simple disagreement.

This kind of post shows how much this person doesn't belong to this place.

When I questioned the point of his membership, the answer was: to challenge people here. That says it all.

Actually you cut his answer ... he did not say to challenge people here.

He answered :

In order to challenge the rampant misinformation here such as when you sarcastically say "Another R2R masterpiece". Think how many readers you could be turning away from such dacs by saying this. I challenge you to go and actually listen to it and first realise why people buy such things before spouting this nonsense

The main challenge is how people interpret eachother's writtings i think

Veri

Master Contributor
I challenge you to go and actually listen to it and first realise why people buy such things before spouting this nonsense
You kind of assume people
-did not already listen -would automatically 'hear' and 'realise' what makes such things 'special'.

I can assure you you're wrong on both counts.

IronStone23

Please, the iFi Hip Dac! Is this so popular and recommended DAC/AMP really that bad? Is performance the same as iFi Zen DAC? etc..

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor

Gremlins

Douk audio P1
I know mesurements will be under critics since its a tube preamp with dac, but i read on french forums that this unit is really clear, and provide unbelieve sound ..
Normally the dac portion should be free of distotions ..thats what i want to see

Top Bottom