• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

When did you last listen to live music

When did you last hear a live gig?

• Total voters

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Going this afternoon - a free concert from local choirs.

Will report back later. :)
It was very...community. :D

But a pleasant afternoon, sitting in the sun with a picnic and music.

Attachments

• IMG_7995.jpeg
    IMG_7995.jpeg
    385.2 KB · Views: 36

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I saw Pat Metheny last weekend (The National, Richmond, VA) and I hate to say it bit I was really disappointed: the mix was poor (I thought his guitars sounded muddy); the drummer, though really talented, overwhelmed everything; his keyboardest seemed to be playing way over his head.

By comparison, I saw YES at this converted 1920s movie theatre 10 years ago and it was the best YES concert I’d ever seen, so I know the poor mix was no fault of the venue’s PA.

Worst of all, Metheny had virtually no interaction with his audience. He introduced the other musicians twice and that’s the absolute extent of his audience interaction. Very weird.

For a jazz guitarist with a legendary reputation, thie Metheny show felt to me like a very amateur production. Disappointing.
Oh boy. I have tickets to see Metheny next weekend at the Beacon - a venue with highly variable sound quality in my experience. Fingers crossed it's a better outcome than your was. Sorry to hear about that, he's quite brilliant.

TheWalkman

Oh boy. I have tickets to see Metheny next weekend at the Beacon - a venue with highly variable sound quality in my experience. Fingers crossed it's a better outcome than your was. Sorry to hear about that, he's quite brilliant.

GDFan,

I look forward to hearing back on your experience.

Philbo King

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Recently spent 4 days at the Chicago Blues Fest.
Musician quality was variable from 'amateur night' to outstanding (mostly outstanding), and the live mix better than average (given that the average live mix usually sucks). The sound system at Millenium Park is exceptional.

Last edited:

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm one of those introverts who doesn't even enjoy live music.

I wasn't going to say anything until I saw there was actually an option for it in the poll.

SKBubba

April 2019 before the pandemic. Saw Santana in Nashville at the Grand Ol Opry House (the new one, not the Ryman). Had second row center seats. Prior to that saw Stevie Wonder Songs of Life performance. Front row center seats. Prior to that the Rolling Stones in Nashville. So, feel lucky to have gone out on a good run of bands we'd never seen. Haven't been to a live show since the pandemic, but starting to get a little more comfortable with the idea.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A few days ago. Small quartet playing on the sidewalk. Common where I live.

I used to attend the Symphony regularly, as well as plenty of live concerts. Unfortunately hyperacusis/Tinnitus has removed those as options these days, to my great dismay. That's one reason I rate gear on it's ability to remind me of live music, since I can't go to concerts these days.

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m Alive and listen to Music every day. Does that count? :p
If you play it, it does, otherwise No!

I am lucky!
Here in London classical music concerts are a plenty. From amateurs to highest grade soloists . Prices are very low too!
Last week or so, I saw Ann Sophie Mutter. I go to rock concerts too. in recent years, I have seen Roger Waters twice, just to name one.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I still go to a couple shows a year. Last year the Pineapple Thief and Porcupine Tree.

This year Eric Clapton and Peter Gabriel.

They’re now opened a new theatre in the Falls so I hope to never go to Toronto again.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
We regularly have live music (mostly from local folk) at our local pub and sometimes at the amphitheater in the park. Been a couple years since I have gone into the nearest city to a large venue or for national type acts, tho.

JakeK

Forum Donor
When we had access to live music removed by covid restrictions I said I wanted to go to everything when it was allowed again. I've been trying to live up to that although it feels like everyone I might go with is out of the habit and reluctant also due to the cost of living. Most recently I went on my own to see Angela Hewitt play piano at the Turner Sims concert hall which is local to me. I loved it and felt very lucky! :)

UltraTay

I saw Wicked and A Strange Loop whilst I was in NYC visiting a friend last year in December. Great shows. So was the limited run of Death of a Salesman. Although not a musical, the use of music in it was intense. More so great audio design. Very sparse, but when it was going, it had the intended effect to add sense of amazement to the scene. Halfway during the show, a very upset woman started screaming and hollering at the guys on the stage. The main actor for Willy, Wendell Pierce, wound up speaking to her in an attempt to calm her down while everyone waited for security. He stayed in character for most of the ordeal. What a fantastic experience! Made the show just that much better.

Martin Takamine

Went to see a friend's band play last night at a tavern, they played blues and classic rock. Their sound guy had them dialed in pretty good for the space.

D

Deleted member 48726

Hmm. I have never heard a live performance that impressed me in terms of sound quality. In terms of mutual feelings with other people it's another thing. But if I want quality I listen on my stereo.

Top Bottom