• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What's your dream system?

Aap op Sokken

[...] and a new computer that's more powerful than my NUC

[...] and a real powerful computer

Why would you need a powerful computer for an audio system? I have a modest i3 NUC in my living room for Spotify, Netflix, browsing etc., and at no point have i wished for a faster system, everything works super smooth.

I have a NUC8i3BEH (i did put a fast SSD in there). I also watch 4K Netflix on it.

Nemo

Forum Donor
I used to hand-write lists with ideal systems when I was a starving chemistry student. Now in my early 50s and after several cross-Atlantic relocations under my belt I see things differently. Now only simple, compact and aesthetically pleasing systems will be considered. The good thing is that, including flawless electronic engineering, this is attainable today.

Speakers, on the other hand, are not as easy. I believe active speakers with DSP (and room correction) are key for maximizing accuracy, which is my goal. I heard years ago the top-of-the-line Meridians in a multichannel setting at a dealer and remains one of the best sounds I’ve ever experienced. They are also very attractive to my eyes. But alas, apart from their unreasonable pricing, I come to detest their push for MQA, and would not even dream of using them anymore. Another excellent contender would be the Linkwitz, but need quite a bit of space to breathe and don’t look pleasing to me. I never heard Gayle Sanders’s Eikon but seems promising...

Echoing another member, in the end I dream more of a quiet and sonically pleasing room that looks good and it is enjoyed with my wife.

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Why would you need a powerful computer for an audio system? I have a modest i3 NUC in my living room for Spotify, Netflix, browsing etc., and at no point have i wished for a faster system, everything works super smooth.

I have a NUC8i3BEH (i did put a fast SSD in there). I also watch 4K Netflix on it.
My NUC has a Pentium processor. It's super slow.

Aap op Sokken

My NUC has a Pentium processor. It's super slow.
Yeah OK then i get wanting an upgrade.

I do recommend getting a modern i3, and not be temped to get an i5 or i7, it's pointless for most use cases. The i3 is really quite fast. Better put the extra money in a decent SSD.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor

For ITB mixing, production and backup. A quiet all-SSD system can go up in price pretty quick, especially if I went for M.2 or Optane drives and the latest Intel or Ryzen processors.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My dream system (For the start;)):

MARK LEVINSON NO 52

MARK LEVINSON NO 53

And this speakers:

View attachment 33165

Maybe some day:cool:
The speakers come with an active crossover but no amplifier, so you need 8 channels of amplification.
I listened to them about 20 years ago but preferred the Goldmund Epilog sound, though I much preferred the Nautilus styling.

mannye

EASY!

A room big enough to house the following:

5 Genelec 1236 SAM Studio Monitors for the LRC and LR and RR
6 Genelec 1032C Studio Monitors for the rest of the ridiculous Atmos setup
4 Genelec 7380 SAM Studio Subwoofers

A serious preamplifier like the Trinov Altitude 16 (I am putting this together quickly... more research needed) that would be able to handle HT sound and also be very good at two channel stereo.

A 150 inch drop down screen and a projector to match. The screen drops down in front of a 70 inch OLED screen.

A Technics SL-1000R turntable with a suitable preamp.

A whole lot of room correction and a full bar.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think I'd need several -

A really good purist speaker like the Vandersteen 5s or the troels gravesen design with the new SS Eliptical midwoofer
A really good dynamic dipole like the LX521
A really good CD design like the JBL M2 or Geddes Summa

Sources I'm not picky about - a good DAC and amplifiers which get the job done. I like vinyl but I'm never going to spend money on it.

The room is far more important, really.

garbulky

Major Contributor
Well it's not made yet - but it will be.
Schiit Audio Ygdrassil - one with a remote (unreleased).
Four XPA-1 gen 2 amps fo bi amping. Or four Hypex Ncore mono amps.
PC PCIe 2 channel AES transport card (not found yet)
Speakers - Axiom M80 high power version with real wood finish gloss - some sort of nice Burl finish.
Subwoofers a pair of Axiom EP600 subwoofers with same finish.

Headphones
Sennheiser HD800
Headphone amp some sort of monoblock setup (not found). OR Schiit Ragnarok OR Emotiva's upcoming class A headphone amp (unreleased).

TV - LG 77inch C9 OLED.

LeftCoastTim

Forum Donor
My last “hi-fi” speakers were Linkwitz Pluto’s (first gen) that I built myself, soldering and all. Being a student with no money and lots of time, they were fun to build and very nice speakers. Added a sub and they were fabulous.

I got back into “hi-if” because I wanted to see if there were nicer speakers than the Pluto’s. Even after over 15 years, it was not easy! Ended up finding Floyd Toole and this forum. I bought the JBL 308s to dip my toes back in, loved them, and as of last week I have a pair of 708ps and a sub. Hooked up to SMSL SU8 DAC. Connected to TV, driven from Apple TV. I can now play my and Apple’s entire music and movie collection with one remote.

Finally I can forget about the gear and get back to enjoying the music. I cant think of a simpler dream system.

Last edited:
OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
As I read through the responses I see a definite trend away from the audiophile publication ethic of conventional design passive speakers hooked up to wildly expensive "pride of ownership" electronics. Rather the tilt is towards larger active studio monitors from Neumann, Genelec and JBL. I'm not surprised. It also shows an interest in super high dynamic range, high impact, right up front music listening.

Anyone else?

Aap op Sokken

As I read through the responses I see a definite trend away from the audiophile publication ethic of conventional design passive speakers hooked up to wildly expensive "pride of ownership" electronics. Rather the tilt is towards larger active studio monitors [...]

Bit different for me.

I prefer passive speakers and a separate power amp, because i like devices to have a single function. Do one thing, and do it well. I'm always skeptical of devices that combine functions. Single functions are easier to measure and verify, and to replace or upgrade of course, but my most important reason is the market. Competition is supposed to bring us high quality for a fair price. Unfortunately, this isn't always reality, but the more complex the device, the less true it seems.

As for pride of ownership, while i wouldn't spend money on anything outside performance (ok, it can't be too ugly), i am proud to own my current amp, a 50 years old Sansui AU-777A. It's cool to own a piece of history, and well, my dad liked it a lot before he gave it to me. Can't buy that. :)

As for dreams, i might actually get, or make, something with the Purifi 1ET400A. Dac is done with the D50s. Speakers, i don't have a clue really...

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just depends on how you dream. It seems to me that there are two things going on with 'dream' systems. First, the visual-aesthetic, and then, basic engineering. Let's say you are looking for a 100+ watt/ch amplifier. For looks, it is difficult to beat McIntosh, Lux, Accuphase, or possibly one of the other, boutique makers. Or for crazy insane stuff, Bob Carver's massive Silver Seven tube machine.

On the other hand, for engineering, it is better to go with an outfit like Benchmark. Sure, their stuff doesn't look as sumptuous or as expensive (and they are not as expensive). But it's going to be better electrically.

What an outfit like Benchmark could do is build two lines. Pro and audiophile. Offer blue watt meters, lacquered rosewood wood sleeves, gold tone front faceplates sans all the flashing LEDs. Maybe some tubes sticking out of the top since people like that--just make sure they are not part of the audio circuit. :cool:

Speakers? I don't think there is such thing as a 'dream' speaker. Speakers all sound different. Even the really good ones. Sometimes the really good ones sound the most different. If it's all a dream, then you need three or four different speaker types in three or four different rooms. A sampling of different designs (horn, ribbon, electrostatic, conventional, etc.) to accommodate your differing moods. It's really the only way...

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Bit different for me.

I prefer passive speakers and a separate power amp, because i like devices to have a single function. Do one thing, and do it well. I'm always skeptical of devices that combine functions. Single functions are easier to measure and verify, and to replace or upgrade of course, but my most important reason is the market. Competition is supposed to bring us high quality for a fair price. Unfortunately, this isn't always reality, but the more complex the device, the less true it seems.

Well, the JBL M2 was mentioned a few times. It doesn't have a passive crossover (except for a network to protect the hf driver). It's driven by external amplifiers and DSP of the user's choice. Similarly, member @mitchco 's system uses JBL cinema monitors with external DSP and amplifiers put together to his specification. You don't have to have an integrated all in one box to have active speakers.

@anmpr1 sounds like you need a dream house with lots of rooms. Many here have multiple systems. I have a headphone rig for the times I don't feel like getting out of bed.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I prefer passive speakers - I find few active speaker designs that appeal to me. Plus, I enjoy using toob amps, so there's that too.

Aap op Sokken

[...]You don't have to have an integrated all in one box to have active speakers.

Hmm good point. If i dream big, I might like something like that. Tune the dsp myself... I'm also going to need measuring equipment... This is going to be expensive, good that it's just a dream :)

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
you need three or four different speaker types in three or four different rooms. A sampling of different designs (horn, ribbon, electrostatic, conventional, etc.) to accommodate your differing moods. It's really the only way...

I agree with this ideal. Also, maybe have a mix of different portable speakers as well for travel/outdoor picnic.

Burning Sounds

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This appeared at an enthusiasts hifi show in the UK several years ago. I think it was called the Communal Monster Horny System or some such thing - anyway it was completely effortless and room filling. A great bit of fun.

monster horny system 2.jpg

monster horny system.jpg

I wouldn't trade my LX521s for anything (nice to see them get a couple of mentions in this thread), but a big horn system would be a great addition if I had the space.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Speakers? I don't think there is such thing as a 'dream' speaker. Speakers all sound different. Even the really good ones. Sometimes the really good ones sound the most different. If it's all a dream, then you need three or four different speaker types in three or four different rooms. A sampling of different designs (horn, ribbon, electrostatic, conventional, etc.) to accommodate your differing moods. It's really the only way...

That's my take as well. It's why I currently have about 5 different pairs of speakers, from time/phase coherent designs like Thiel, through to the old BBC type, Spendor, as well as MBL omnis and others. They all sound great in their own way. I pine for a pair of old Quad ESL57s to have around, but their form factor simply doesn't work anywhere in my house at this time. I was even offered a beautiful pair free and sadly had to pass on them.

Tool

The speakers come with an active crossover but no amplifier, so you need 8 channels of amplification.
I listened to them about 20 years ago but preferred the Goldmund Epilog sound, though I much preferred the Nautilus styling.

I hope I'll have this kind of problems to solve soon:). For now I'll leave it as it is...

Top Bottom