• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What's the best I can buy?

Mtmmatias

hello,

I'm new to this and I need help. I recently purchased some great quality equipment from a friend. A pair of Genelec 8341, Focal Utopia and Sennheiser hd 800. I was interested in putting together a setup. I live in Brazil, I have difficulty finding some equipment, but I have contacts outside the country who can bring it.
I would like recommendations on the best dac and amplifier so I can build my system. Without price restrictions, I would like the best possible.
I'm using Google translate, sorry for the language errors.

Thanks!

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would look for an RME ADI-2 DAC.
RME of course, but probably better the ADI-2 Pro or ADI-2/4 Pro SE because of the digital output for the Genelec.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Most of the "sound quality" and "sound character" comes from the headphones & speakers (and the acoustics in your room). Super-expensive electronics will make little or no difference. The main thing is that your headphone amplifier has enough output to go as loud as you want. Since your speakers are active (built-in amplifier) that's not an issue.

Both headphones were reviewed here at ASR and it looks like they can both benefit from some bass boost (and maybe other EQ). Assuming your music is coming from a computer, that can be done in software.

asrUser

Schiit Mjolnir 3 + Yggdrasil would be one of the best stacks.

SonofJura

1705165275375.jpeg

I own the $1300 TOPPING DX9 15 Year Anniversary Limited Edition. I don't know if it's the best, but I’ll be, buying a second one. and possibly a third. The specs are superb with plenty of power >7000mw into 32ohms and just shy of a full watt into 300ohm!

I am able to drive the Susveras surprisingly well, though I admit that is w/ High Gain Mode on and I'm pushing it closer to -15db Volume with less headroom than with the Zahl HM1 to get to louder playback levels. The dual AKM 4499-EQ is a limited in qty and I read it’s an NOS DAC Chip variant of the AKM4499 with one article claiming two of the aforementioned DAC chips are needed to perform what one AKM4499EQ handily does using just one.

For me the dual-display screens displaying a pair of optional very retro amber glowing VU Meters from back in the day along with the Amber LEDs casting a glow through the Top glass is aesthetically pleasing to me. They have modern VU Meters as well. The CNC machined remote is absolutely a dream to use. The signal-present driven Trigger is much cleaner and requires no wire to have triggered control, but the classic way is provided too!

You are able to drive all outputs simultaneously or select whichever ones you don't wish to be employed entirely off. There's both two pairs of XLR and RCAs Outputs and three Headphone outputs; 6.3mm (Phono or TRRS) unbalanced, 4.4mm & 4-Pin XLR for balanced output. The RCA/XLR Line Out are (paradoxically) volume attenuable except if 'DAC MODE is ON' and not left in the default 'PREAMP MODE' located in the ‘Aadvanced’ menu & than only if ALL OUPUTS is 'NOT' selected.

This is due to the fact that "Outputs Mode=ALL" includes all three Headphones outputs, as well as the four pairs of output that make up both pairs of ‘RCA/XLR PREAMP-OUT’ (Variable Volume), and both pairs of ‘RCA/XLR "LINE-OUTPUTS" (FIXED 0DB OUTPUT; Again only w/ DAC MODE ON and the HP Outputs are OFF)

I've noticed some confusion regarding this so I am just letting the reader know upfront what to expect as the manual does not clarify this very well. Of course the benefit is you can output stereo sounds and incorporate a pair of subs, output up to four zones using some or all pairs of rca and xlr simultaneously and of course enjoy the headphone experience with more people or rapidly switch between up to three headphones with the caveat that the unbalanced 6.3 mm headphone output will of course be at drastically reduced amplitude/volume level due the differences between full amplitude level of single-ended (-10db) versus balanced (+4db).

• AK4499EQ DAC with 132dB dynamic range and ultra-low distortion
  • Six-channel discrete NFCA high-performance headphone amplifier
  • Hybrid relay volume control for high-precision adjustment
  • Independent power for DAC and headphone amplifier circuits
  • Aurora UI with dual 2.0-inch full-color screens
  • Wide range of digital inputs and outputs
  • Balance headphone jack amp out specs
    • THD+N @1kHz (A-wt)
      • <0.00007% @Output=550mW (32Ω)
      • <0.00007% @Output=60mW (300Ω)
    • THD @20-20kHz 90kBW
      • <0.00050% @Output=550mW (32Ω)
      • <0.00030% @Output=60mW (300Ω)
    • SNR @Max OUT 1kHz (A-wt): 132dB @1kHz
    • Dynamic Range @1kHz (A-wt): 132dB @1kHz
    • Frequency Response
      • 20Hz-20kHz (‡0.2dB)
      • 20Hz-40kHz (‡0.6dB)
    • Output Level
      • 12Vpp @G=L
      • 47Vpp @G=H
    • Noise (A-wt)
      • <1.3uVrms @G=L
      • <4.2uVrms @G=H
    • Channel Crosstalk: 121dB @1kHz
    • Gain
      • G=L 12.5dB (Vrms/FS)
      • G=H 24.5dB (Vrms/FS)
    • Channel Balance: 0.3dB
    • Output Impedance: <0.1Ω
    • Output power
      • 10000mW × 2 @16Ω THD+N<1%
      • 7080mW × 2 @32Ω THD+N<1%
      • 4250mW × 2 @64Ω THD+N<1%
      • 950mW × 2 @300Ω THD+N<1%
      • 460mW × 2 @600Ω THD+N<1%
    • Load impedance: 100Ω

IMG_2885.jpeg
IMG_2886.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2887.jpeg
    IMG_2887.jpeg
    250.6 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ive had a ton of stuff for the business and the Topping A90 and D90 stack you can't go wrong. I had a Topping A70 Pro and it's amazing, could pair it with the D70 Octo DAC if price isn't a concern.

rarewolf

I cannot argue with the Topping suggestions. I would however suggest a DAC that can accommodate an occasional and convenient bluetooth connection. My Topping stack is the E70(Velvet)+L70 pairing. This stack also pairs well with the WiiM streamers

Nutul

The best may not be associated with price.
Anyway, if you want the best, buy anything Amir has reviewed in the "blue" spectrum, looking on its left end.
If you want the pricey, still keeping quality at a certain level, but also pleasing the eye, get a MolaMola Tambaqui (it's also a streamer, btw)

mbirand

The best may not be associated with price.
Anyway, if you want the best, buy anything Amir has reviewed in the "blue" spectrum, looking on its left end.
If you want the pricey, still keeping quality at a certain level, but also pleasing the eye, get a MolaMola Tambaqui (it's also a streamer, btw)
I’m also looking to get a hi-end DAC myself and as a noob in the field, i’m trying to understand the difference between a MolaMola (+10k price tag) and a streamer that is higher up in @amirm ’s “blue” spectrum with 1/5th the price tag. Is MolaMola better in any aspect ? What is that aspect ?

Last edited:

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
The price.
Keith

gsp1971

Forum Donor
hello,

I'm new to this and I need help. I recently purchased some great quality equipment from a friend. A pair of Genelec 8341, Focal Utopia and Sennheiser hd 800. I was interested in putting together a setup. I live in Brazil, I have difficulty finding some equipment, but I have contacts outside the country who can bring it.
I would like recommendations on the best dac and amplifier so I can build my system. Without price restrictions, I would like the best possible.
I'm using Google translate, sorry for the language errors.

Thanks!
Focal Utopia speakers or headphones?

If you are looking to biuld a system around the Genelecs, what do you need the amplifier for?

If you are looking to biuld a system around the Focal Utopia speakers and cost is no object, check out the Benchmark AHB2 power amplifier and pair it with a DAC of your choice. You don't need to spend a fortune on the DAC as long as it has XLR out to connect to the Benchmark AHB2.

And since you are spending that much money, wouldn't it be wise to invest in Room Correction as well? Something like a minidsp Flex or similar device with Dirac live?

GS

CapMan

Major Contributor
Since you are starting out with a blank sheet - please, please, please learn about your listening room before spending a ton of money. I ended up with mid level AVR because having great DSP to EQ my room out of the sound was way more beneficial than small improvements in technical measurements of the electronics.

Previously I sunk 000s into ever more expensive boxes when the reality was that my listening environment and speakers were the critical link.

You have great speakers with the Genelecs so are in a good place to start.

OP
M

Mtmmatias

Thanks for the help, friends.
Based on the reviews I saw here and because I can buy directly on Aliexpress, I'm going with the A70 pro and D70 pro Sabre from topping. I thought it was a great set and a healthy price for what they presented.

mbirand

i’m still trying to wrap my head around some DACs or streamers having multiple times the price of some best measuring boxes out there. it can’t just be material difference or resale value. all these products depreciate over time. maybe “its more expensive, therefore must be better” ?

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
i’m still trying to wrap my head around some DACs or streamers having multiple times the price of some best measuring boxes out there. it can’t just be material difference or resale value. all these products depreciate over time. maybe “its more expensive, therefore must be better” ?
RME seems to have the best drivers, best support, best features. Everything is thought through and expertly optimized. New main features are introduced still years after release for free.
Every day i think how much joy it is and how lucky i am to use their devices. I think they are reasonably priced and very much worth the extra €.

I don't know about even more expensive boutique products. Probably not worth it if they don't have special features.

Disclaimer: I have never used a Topping device.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
maybe “its more expensive, therefore must be better” ?
Precisely. You can get a DAC for $100-200 that does as well as a DAC for $1000-2000+. More expensive DACs will usually have more features, inputs/outputs, maybe better build quality. However, in terms of sound quality, you will find very few DACs that make any difference above a very low tier.

The $9 Apple dongle DAC has sound quality that equals almost anything you can buy, assuming the output voltage is high enough. DACs were a solved problem 20 years ago. They just turn numbers into voltages, there's no need to treat them as if they were turntable tonearms or anything.

Nutul

I’m also looking to get a hi-end DAC myself and as a noob in the field, i’m trying to understand the difference between a MolaMola (+10k price tag) and a streamer that is higher up in @amirm ’s “blue” spectrum with 1/5th the price tag. Is MolaMola better in any aspect ? What is that aspect ?
The Tambaqui might be nicer to the look and touch. Other than this I see no difference. Chose a streamer from the list "blue zone" that both suits your taste and pocket and you're "more than done".

Top Bottom