• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best DAC/Amp under $50?

calcium

Hey guys I recently bought Sennheiser HD 400 pro(560s repaint) headphones but their volume is so low. I can enjoy the music at low volume but when I use them on games like Valorant/Csgo I can't even hear footsteps properly. These are 120 ohm headphones with high sensitivity but still my cheap laptop's soundcard can't drive them. So kindly suggest some good DAC/Amp under $50.

I've seen iBasso DC03 PRO

Some Jcally Dongles

Shanling UA1 etc but can't decide which one will be best.

Joffy1780

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Moondrop Dawn Pro looks like an excellent dongle for the money.

Joffy1780

pavuol

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
unfortunately out of stock everywhere.

what do y'all say about jcally jm20?
Seems like a steal if it is a genuine CS43131 chip inside. Those Jcally dongles come at very aggresive prices, I'd be interested if there is some hazzard involved (craftmanship, life expectancy). If you have and option, I'd consider some used Tempotec/Hidisz/Shanling dongles as well, maybe some "older" proven chips like ES9218..

Both Shanling UA1 and Pro version seem quite solid imo

threni

Major Contributor
OP
C

calcium

Seems like a steal if it is a genuine CS43131 chip inside. Those Jcally dongles come at very aggresive prices, I'd be interested if there is some hazzard involved (craftmanship, life expectancy). If you have and option, I'd consider some used Tempotec/Hidisz/Shanling dongles as well, maybe some "older" proven chips like ES9218..

Both Shanling UA1 and Pro version seem quite solid imo
It gets hot as per some reviews

alexandrul

Have you considered a pre-loved Fiio E10k? It's old enough so it may reach your budget.

Joffy1780

OP
C

calcium

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
I am a bit confused manufacturer specifies 110 dB @ 1kHz, 1 Vrms so even standard Realtek on board audio codec with about 1V output should have enough omph to drive them to about 86~90 dB average without problem (110 dB peak in bass). Which is actually pretty loud. Anyway Hidizs S8 and TempoTec Sonata HD Pro (which is pretty much the same thing tho S8 comes in better jacket and therefore perform a little better) can be found for less than 50$ and will give 2V output so go from whatever you find cheaper and more convenient to you. And they come with nice drivers (small and good working) for Mac and Windows (for Linux you don't really need USB audio 2.0 driver's tho even Windows has them from late 2020 H2 Win 10 it's nice and convenient to have proper ASIO one's for it).

Last edited:
OP
C

calcium

I am a bit confused manufacturer specifies 110 dB @ 1kHz, 1 Vrms so even standard Realtek on board audio codec with about 1V output should have enough omph to drive them to about 86~90 dB average without problem (110 dB peak in bass). Which is actually pretty loud. Anyway Hidizs S8 and TempoTec Sonata HD Pro (which is pretty much the same thing tho S8 comes in better jacket and therefore perform a little better) can be found for less than 50$ and will give 2V output so go from whatever you find cheaper and more convenient to you. And they come with nice drivers (small and good working) for Mac and Windows (for Linux you don't really need USB audio 2.0 driver's tho even Windows has them from late 2020 H2 Win 10 it's nice and convenient to have proper ASIO one's for it).
Its an old i3 laptop from 2018 and I'm sure ASUS used the cheapest realtek soundcard in it. I have to pre-amp +7 in peace equalizer to hear footsteps in csgo/valorant

Top Bottom