• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What's a good center for listening to dts music? ?polkr350,r400,LSiM706c.jbl520c?

sysfc6

What's a good center for listening to dts music? ?polkr350,r400,LSiM706c.jbl520c?

alex-z

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Whichever most closely matches the radiation pattern of your front L/R, which is most likely the LSiM706c due to its 3 way design.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Look for a three-way center with either vertically stacked midrange driver and tweeter:
image0.jpeg DSC03136.JPG

Or with a coaxial midrange/tweeter in the middle:
DSC03135.JPG

These will (generally) give you smooth horizontal directivity:
Kef Q250c Horizontal Contour Plot (Normalized) (1).png

Stay away from traditional 2-way MTM designs:
DSC02829.JPG

As these will inevitably have very uneven directivity:
Klipsch RP-500C II Horizontal Contour Plot.png Monoprice Encore C6 Horizontal Contour Plot (Normalized).png
Micca MB42X-C Center Channel Horizontal Contour Plot (Normalized).png Polk XT35 Horizontal Contour Plot (Normalized).png

Erin from Erin's Audio Corner explained the issue in his video here.

Be aware that there are some 3-way designs that still have this issue because they let their woofers play way too high. Here's an example:

Among others, you can find directivity measurements on EAC, Stereophile, and here on ASR.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
An identical speaker/orientation to your L/R would be ideal. Otherwise I agree with the others on 3ways.

Curious, just what is DTS music?

OP
sysfc6

sysfc6

An identical speaker/orientation to your L/R would be ideal. Otherwise I agree with the others on 3ways.

Curious, just what is DTS music?
The so-called DTS track uses the 5.1 channel standard encoded by DTS (Digital Theater Systems). The maximum encoding throughput of DTS is the same as that of LPCM, i.e., 48,000*16*2=1536,000bps = 1536kbps. In relative terms, this is much greater than the 448kbps provided by another popular multichannel encoding system, Dolby Digital (AC3). --Comparatively speaking, this is much larger than the 448kbps provided by another popular multichannel coding system, Dolby Digital (AC3), which means that DTS has much less distortion in the compression of multichannel sound products. This feature gives DTS an inherent advantage in the multichannel encoding system.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The so-called DTS track uses the 5.1 channel standard encoded by DTS (Digital Theater Systems). The maximum encoding throughput of DTS is the same as that of LPCM, i.e., 48,000*16*2=1536,000bps = 1536kbps. In relative terms, this is much greater than the 448kbps provided by another popular multichannel encoding system, Dolby Digital (AC3). --Comparatively speaking, this is much larger than the 448kbps provided by another popular multichannel coding system, Dolby Digital (AC3), which means that DTS has much less distortion in the compression of multichannel sound products. This feature gives DTS an inherent advantage in the multichannel encoding system.
There's a difference between DTS encoded cds and movies or using an upmixer, why I asked. I don't believe DTS, the lossy movie encoding, is anywhere near 1536kbps. I just looked at one DTS 5.1 optical disc I have and it reports 1258kbps. Not sure how you relate it to distortion particularly, tho.

ps have no idea what the 1258 is particularly representing.....per channel seems too high a bandwidth.

Last edited:

Beave

Major Contributor
Chrispy, I'm betting he copied that text from somewhere.

Top Bottom