• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

3 way Center Channel Recommendations

AngryGinger

Hi, new here.
I am looking for 3 way center channel recommendations and opinions.

Current setup (5.2.4)
Denon AVR-X4500H
Ascend Acoustics CBM-170SE (L/R)
Ascend Acoustics CMT-340SE (C)
SVS SB-2000 (2)
SVS Prime Satellite (2)
SVS Prime Elevation (4)

It’s a small room and I’m currently happy with everything except the CMT-340SE center. No matter what I do, the dialogue just doesn’t seem quite clear enough.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

kma100

Forum Donor
@sweetchaos has a list of speakers. Other options are 3-way speakers from Ascend, Philharmonic, Revel, Monoprice...depends on your budget and location.

OP
A

AngryGinger

Thanks!

It looks like the Elac Uni-Fi 2.0 UC52 even tops lists for price ranges considerably above it!

Putter

Forum Donor
I will point out that a coaxial speaker avoids the dispersion issues that even a 3 way speaker can suffer from. KEF is likely the cheapest coaxial available although their cheapest, the Q150 and 350 is only sold in pairs. They do have the Q250 for $600 which is a dedicated center.

Bruce Morgen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hi, new here.
I am looking for 3 way center channel recommendations and opinions.

Current setup (5.2.4)
Denon AVR-X4500H
Ascend Acoustics CBM-170SE (L/R)
Ascend Acoustics CMT-340SE (C)
SVS SB-2000 (2)
SVS Prime Satellite (2)
SVS Prime Elevation (4)

It’s a small room and I’m currently happy with everything except the CMT-340SE center. No matter what I do, the dialogue just doesn’t seem quite clear enough.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

If you have the room for a small "bookshelf"-size speaker turned sideways, I've gotten great results with a Kali Audio IN-5 active 3-way monitor as my center channel speaker -- just remember to set the appropriate back panel DIP switch for horizontal orientation. Although the IN series Kalis are 3-way models with a separate woofer, the midrange and tweeter are coaxial or, as the Kali folks prefer, "coincident."

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You might want to look on EBay for a KEF HTC-3001 SE. It runs around $150 used, is mostly coaxial and is a small ovoid design that fits well under most monitors. It's a very low cost option and if you're unhappy with it, you're only out $150, but I don't think you'll be unhappy.

Top Bottom