• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Music recordings with a center channel?

jsilvela

After spiffing up my audio setup thanks to ASR and getting a center channel for movies,
I was wondering if there are music recordings made with a center channel.

I can see there are concert DVDs/Blu-Rays, and some of them indicate Dolby 5.1 or some other multi-channel format.
But I'm thinking more of studio recordings, specifically with the lead vocalist recorded on a center channel.

If that's a whole category, what is the name of it?
Any well known examples of music DVD's/BR's with vocals recorded on the center channel?

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
One of the nice things is that Dolby Pro-Logic or Dolby Surround Upmixer will pull your vocals to the center if you turn off center spread. Center Spread biases the vocals to the left and right channels as well. It depends on your speakers/room.

The Beatles Atmos Blu-ray (at least Let it Be) has vocals mixed into the center channel.

jcarys

You are looking for surround music SACD, DVD Audio or Bluray. Plus the stuff that has been remixed into Atmos on the streaming services. In terms of pop or rock music, the most impressive titles I got last year are Peter Gabriel's i/o and Steven Wilson's The Harmony Codex. Both are great performances and surround music mixes. But do realize that most mixers don't confine vocals to only the center channel.

OP
jsilvela

jsilvela

Thanks, I'll get those BR's for The Beatles and Peter Gabriel.
It's mostly an experiment.

Top Bottom