• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What type of cables for Neutrik XLR connectors?

Ricardus

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I used to build my own, buying parts like Belden cable and Neutrik connectors from Mouser or other places.
Then many years ago I discovered that Blue Jeans Cable will build cables for me from the same high quality parts for the same $ that it would cost me to build myself.
This is just demonstrably false.

To build a 10 ft Canare Star Quad cable buying materials from Markertek it would cost $12.30.

Current blue Jeans price $40.75 .

MRC01

Major Contributor
This is just demonstrably false.

To build a 10 ft Canare Star Quad cable buying materials from Markertek it would cost $12.30.

Current blue Jeans price $40.75 .
Your example doesn't disprove my statement. I said it cost the same as what it would cost me.
Sourcing from Mouser, in my case the 4-pin xlr connector alone cost about $10, then adding in the mini-xlrs for the headphones and the cable, then shipping & tax, my total cost for parts was over $50 to build it myself, which is what Blue Jeans charged me for the custom cable.
Of course the difference may vary for you depending on what you are building, what parts you use and where you source them. That's why I did not generalize.

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
Do you agree with this regarding making your own XLR cables vs buying ready-made:
Pros: Having the flexibility to choose lengths to suit one's solution/system
Cons: It takes time to fix them.
One should think that soldering is is a contemplative task. For example (as I will do) soldering twelve contacts with three pins each takes time, if you want to do it in a good, neat way (good soldering). Just watch any Youtube video where it is soldered with XLR cables. It takes its time.
Another advantage, home-cooked food is best. It should be the same with cables. Not that it sounds better or worse, but more the psychological positive feeling of fixing it yourself.:)

The price of making cables yourself vs. buying ready-made cables seems to be negligible.

thecheapseats

...The price of making cables yourself vs. buying ready-made cables seems to be negligible...
for just one pair of xlr cables every couple of years (2 wires to 2 male xlrs and 2 female xlrs) - yes - possibly negligible...

learning how to terminate cables (and solder properly) is a useful skill, and xlrs are just so damn easy to make/repair - unlike rca, trrs, trs (of any size), ts, bnc, etc... however, some don't want to be bothered with it...

but making your own can be dramatically cheaper depending on price-sourcing of quality cable (mogami, gotham, canare, belden) and quality connectors in the country where you live... neutrik or switchcraft xlrs only (avoid any no-name xlr connector always)...

however from this link,;
https://www.amazon.com/50-Foot-Balanced-Microphone-Neutrik/dp/B08YQX5YWN/

at that price with name brand materials, it's almost hard to recommend soldering one yourself - it's a no brainer selection... various lengths - quad as well...

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
I used to build my own, buying parts like Belden cable and Neutrik connectors from Mouser or other places.
Then many years ago I discovered that Blue Jeans Cable will build cables for me from the same high quality parts for the same $ that it would cost me to build myself.
If they don't have what you want on the site, call them up and they'll make something custom.
For example, when the factory cable for my Audeze LCD-2F wore out and needed replacing (it has unusual connectors to the headphone cups), Audeze wanted $150 for their OEM cable, which is nothing fancy and not even made that well. Blue Jeans built me a custom cable of higher quality parts & construction than OEM, for about half that price.

PS: you can use what Blue Jeans cable uses: Belden 1800F or Canare L-4E6S depending on your needs. Just order that same cable and build them yourself.
My recommendation would be either for Canare L-4E6S, or Mogami 2534 (Star Quad designs). Excellent quality and shielding, very flexible.
Don't select unknown stuff like this. Pick a good cable supplier. I've not used Canare and haven't used Belden recently, but I've been pleased with Mogami 2549.
Great tips from all of you! Thanks for them.:)

I have spoken to an electronics store in Gothenburg (Tema Elektronik), from which I previously bought some coils and capacitors. They have suitable blanched/
shielded cables, at the price of $13 per meter (3.28 ft). BUT I don't know how they compare in quality compared to the suggestions above. In any case, I will pass by Gothenburg in a week or so, I will try to buy a few meters to test anyway.:)

The more I think about it the better it gets. Nice to be able to fix custom lengths. Two long cables and I can throw my ugly PA amp (which drives my bass boxes) into some cabinet so I don't have to see it, for example. That without a lot of extra signal cable that is then left over that is not needed then (that is if I had bought ready-made cables).

It may be a tip for the rest of you, check with your local electronics store. They may have what you are looking for (without you even thinking about it).:)
fasad.jpg

thecheapseats

Great tips from all of you! Thanks for them.:)

I have spoken to an electronics store in Gothenburg (Tema Elektronik), from which I previously bought some coils and capacitors. They have suitable blanched/
shielded cables, at the price of $13 per meter (3.28 ft). BUT I don't know how they compare in quality compared to the suggestions above. In any case, I will pass by Gothenburg in a week or so, I will try to buy a few meters to test anyway.:)

The more I think about it the better it gets. Nice to be able to fix custom lengths. Two long cables and I can throw my ugly PA amp (which drives my bass boxes) into some cabinet so I don't have to see it, for example. That without a lot of extra signal cable that is then left over that is not needed then (that is if I had bought ready-made cables).

It may be a tip for the rest of you, check with your local electronics store. They may have what you are looking for (without you even thinking about it).:)
View attachment 280373

before you buy any bulk interconnect cable from any retail outlet - be warned - there's a reason you keep seeing people recommend the same brand names over and over again (mogami, gotham, belden, canare) - they are known quality, perform great and are not stupid expensive...

one thing to consider 'when/if' you try to solder a lesser cable - they tend to fight you when working with it... lousy insulation and outer cable sheath that doesn't prep/strip clean - insulation that can't handle solder heat - funky aluminum core strands with very little copper-clad - and some simply 'smell' like hell... they can be a real mess...

a quality cable is a pleasure to work with and terminate - it strips cleanly - doesn't fight you - tinning a wire doesn't make it's insulation run away - and it doesn't smell like a chemical spill when soldered or applying heat-shrink... it's a joy to work with... you've been warned...

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
before you buy any bulk interconnect cable from any retail outlet - be warned - there's a reason you keep seeing people recommend the same brand names over and over again (mogami, gotham, belden, canare) - they are known quality, perform great and are not stupid expensive...

one thing to consider 'when/if' you try to solder a lesser cable - they tend to fight you when working with it... lousy insulation and outer cable sheath that doesn't prep/strip clean - insulation that can't handle solder heat - funky aluminum core strands with very little copper-clad - and some simply 'smell' like hell... they can be a real mess...

a quality cable is a pleasure to work with and terminate - it strips cleanly - doesn't fight you - tinning a wire doesn't make it's insulation run away - and it doesn't smell like a chemical spill when soldered or applying heat-shrink... it's a joy to work with... you've been warned...
You have a point and you (or me) have to be careful not to let miserliness deceives wisdom.:)

thecheapseats

You have a point and you (or me) have to be careful not to let miserliness deceives wisdom.:)
I learned (or rather had to learn) how to make my own cables when I started out because I was absurdly poor... as well, for most of the audio equipment I was integrating at that time - there simply were not ready made cables available or sold at retail...

b7676

The milled amphenol connectors had superior fit (compared to neutrik) into topping gear.

World's Best Cables keeps mogami + amphenol/neutrik in stock on amazon.

thecheapseats

The milled amphenol connectors had superior fit (compared to neutrik) into topping gear.

World's Best Cables keeps mogami + amphenol/neutrik in stock on amazon.
amphenol as well - quality connectors with a long history of mfg excellence... physical tolerances in fit and finish for operation (where it counts) are not in the head shell itself, but at the individual mating pins...

Top Bottom