• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What to use?

serlv

Looking to bring out the beauty and deep color of some old speakers I have. I have previously only dusted with a rag or towel.
What waxes, polishes or solutions do people use? I have no experience with wood finishes or veneers.

Thanks,
Scott

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I use Pledge for general waxing and anti-static. It's easy to apply and buff/remove, lasts a long time and smells decent.

sam_adams

Major Contributor
The only thing that one needs to be careful of when using a spray polish like Pledge, is that older lacquer finishes may dissolve slightly because of the alcohol content which can cause the water in the solution to be absorbed into the lacquer and leave the finish with a white haze. Spray the polish on a cloth and work it into the cloth letting the alcohol evaporate, then wipe down the finish with the cloth.

JSmith

Master Contributor

JSmith

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Should cleaning, dusting and applying overlay treatments to wood products be handled separately?
Then, there is surface repair products for such things as nicks and scratches.
Da missus sez she likes:
[All our furniture are solid-woods and mostly oak.]
  • The Howard Feed-N-Wax (wood polish/conditioner w/beeswax and orange oil), and
  • For cleaning she sez she likes plant-based "methodhome.com" products.

Flexecutioner

Should cleaning, dusting and applying overlay treatments to wood products be handled separately?
Then, there is surface repair products for such things as nicks and scratches.
Da missus sez she likes:
[All our furniture are solid-woods and mostly oak.]
  • The Howard Feed-N-Wax (wood polish/conditioner w/beeswax and orange oil), and
  • For cleaning she sez she likes plant-based "methodhome.com" products.
Howard Feed-N-Wax is my go-to for most of my wood furniture as well. I don't use it on anything that is sealed with a varnish or clear coat though. It needs to absorb into surface.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have some old B&W speakers that are stained but not apparently sealed, I used Star Brite Teak Oil on them and it seemed to spiff them up a bit without ill effect.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just be aware that pledge and other furniture polishes can make future refinishing very difficult. They often contain synthetic waxes and/or silicon that, if applied over a worn or damaged old finish, will get into the wood and cause future finishes to "fish eye." Best to avoid them if you can find another option for sprucing up an old finish.

JSmith

Master Contributor
They often contain synthetic waxes and/or silicon that, if applied over a worn or damaged old finish, will get into the wood and cause future finishes to "fish eye."
Yep... that's why I suggested Guardsman products earlier as they don't contain silicone.

JSmith

OP
S

serlv

I have some old B&W speakers that are stained but not apparently sealed, I used Star Brite Teak Oil on them and it seemed to spiff them up a bit without ill effect.
I want to "spiff up" some nice 801 Series 80's. They are in pretty good shape considering they were made in '79. Serial #s 599 and 600. I do not believe they have ever been treated with anything. I am considering selling them. The crossovers were revitalized and caps in them upgraded a few years back. I have a set of brand new speakers inbound and it would be nice to defray their cost a bit. On the other hand I am really fond of these. Either way, they deserve to look their best

OP
S

serlv

I want to "spiff up" some nice 801 Series 80's. They are in pretty good shape considering they were made in '79. Serial #s 599 and 600. I do not believe they have ever been treated with anything. I am considering selling them. The crossovers were revitalized and caps in them upgraded a few years back. I have a set of brand new speakers inbound and it would be nice to defray their cost a bit. On the other hand I am really fond of these. Either way, they deserve to look their best
So, the Teak oil and Guardsmam are safe? As well as. perhaps, Howard's?

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So, the Teak oil and Guardsmam are safe? As well as. perhaps, Howard's?
Teak Oil didn't make a dramatic change, just made the wood go from "dry-looking" to "not dry-looking". I think that's really what's intended for something like this. It was a few months ago and the veneer hasn't fallen off or changed colors so I guess it's safe. The speakers in question are DM2000s from the 80s, not sure if yours would have the same type of veneer or finish.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There is always that drastic countermeasure...
202308_SPgrits0.jpg

202308_SPgrits.jpg

...Which can be very therapeutic, if performed while listening to proper music.;)

TimF

Forum Donor
Guardsman is good. If I want to step down a shiny surface, I use Johnsons Paste Wax. Regarding the Paste Wax, it will harden a bit as it dries, and it can be buffed once dry.

Top Bottom