• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wood veneer to match Revel high gloss walnut speakers

HockeyDad45

Greetings
My wife and I are building a new house and I am planning a new Audio/HT set-up. The main speakers will be Revel F208 (special thanks to to all the reviews/comments on this site) and I am looking for recommendations for a wood veneer to match the high gloss walnut. My idea is get the subwoofers covered in a veneer that would approximate the finish on the Revel speakers.

Does anyone have any recommendations on how to source the veneer.

Thanks for any help

-Scott

carbidetooth

Greetings
My wife and I are building a new house and I am planning a new Audio/HT set-up. The main speakers will be Revel F208 (special thanks to to all the reviews/comments on this site) and I am looking for recommendations for a wood veneer to match the high gloss walnut. My idea is get the subwoofers covered in a veneer that would approximate the finish on the Revel speakers.

Does anyone have any recommendations on how to source the veneer.

Thanks for any help

-Scott
Out of curiosity, I googled. Walnut finish at a glance does appear to be Walnut, or a better than decent facsimile. Thus recommendation would be Walnut veneer. More importantly would be how that veneer is finished. Dye, stain, clearcoat tint, will all influence appearance. High gloss is harder to accomplish. A good finisher could get close, but absolutely perfect match is unlikely. If you're looking for prefinished veneer or laminate, I'd suggest that's an even more difficult thing to find. When I was doing this professionally, I would sometimes suggest to folks that a contrast is often better than a ho-hum match. Will your subs be near your mains? Are you building them yourself?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Does anyone know for certain whether the Revel finish is actual lacquered timber veneer or lacquered paper/foil veneer?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I'd probably go with the idea of contrast. For instance subs in a matte black even if next to the F208's will not look out of place because the grille covers are a black fabric.

That's a good idea.

OP
H

HockeyDad45

Thanks for all the replies. To answer some questions

1) Will your subs be near your mains? They will be ~6 Ft away. Design currently is sub in front left corner<>6 ft Gap<>Left tower<>3ft<>Center<>3ft<>Right tower<>6 ft<>Right Sub in corner

2) Are you building them yourself? No, ideally would like to (re) veneer a pair of Rythmik subs

Have to think more about the contrast idea. My Wife was willing to go with the match idea (it's a LOT of speakers for her) need to pitch contrast

Thanks!

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Have to think more about the contrast idea.
1688068408109.jpeg

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You'll never match, best case is you might get close if you know the right veneer,stain and finish to get. You could get Revel subs in gloss walnut but they are expensive, at least to me.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Are Revel F208's quarter sawn oak? Photos look like flat sawn.
Since you're building a house have you considered in wall subs?

Bach

Are Revel F208's quarter sawn oak? Photos look like flat sawn.
Since you're building a house have you considered in wall subs?
Subs that are not visible:high WAF and very low MPF (male pride factor).

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Stick matte black subs in the corners somewhere.

Bach

Subs in combination with Revel F208? Only needed for subsonic affects with HT.
Do you have an idea about the crossover frequency? The F208 needs a subsonic filter anyway to make subs make sense and not launching the woofers of the F208 when giving them a good shot of 35 Hertz or lower. Just closing the bass reflex ports will give a Q of +/- .0.55 of the Revels. Indeally the subs should have the same Q factor of the filter: is very uncommon.
For a HT setup you need extra speakers, preferably of Revel too: to ensure good match sonicly and apperance.
And then there is of course the extra cost of an HT amp with digital outs to the dac for the main Revels to not degrade your fine Revels.
So, think it over again.

Top Bottom