• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What service do you use to watch TV?

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've cut my cord for over a decade now, but beginning to find less and less to watch on TV, curious to know what other's use to watch TV balancing content and cost.

D

Deleted member 48726

We have almost all the streaming services. But if it wasn't for the family we wouldn't. I could easily be without any of them. -The streaming services, not the family.. ;)

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't watch TV or movies anymore.

The only video streaming I watch are edutainment videos on YT.

Speedskater

Major Contributor
We have used Cox Cable as our provider for decades. But each newer Set Top Box has less functions. Now everything happens in the 'cloud' but for control functions, it's more like the 'fog'. Some requests take almost 30 seconds. A simple reverse request can take 15 seconds. Now they seem to have bandwidth throughput problems. When switching cameras, it can take a second to focus.

Svet Angelov

I haven't looked at a television channel for what feels like more than a decade now. 5 streaming services + torrenting :-D

JeffGB

I don't watch TV anymore. I have a reliable 1Gigabit internet and a couple of streaming services. I also have a VPN to watch various shows from other countries, like BBC. The streaming services and VPN are about the same cost as we were paying for basic TV service.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For local over the air I installed an antenna in the attic. Streaming the usual Netflix and Prime since I already was an Amazon prime member. We don't really watch a lot of TV anymore there might be 3 or 4 days go by don't even turn it on. My wife watches more than I do, cooking shows and older series and occasional movie.

ta240

Major Contributor
Antenna into a Tablo DVR setup. They are supposed to be phasing out their automatic commercial skip but it is still pretty easy to jump past them without that.
Netflix, their selection ebbs and flows but their stock has paid for several lifetimes of subscriptions for me.
Therokuchannel, tubitv and plutotv for content with varying amounts of commercials. They often add more commercials the more you get into a show. It sometimes hits a point where it isn't worth it anymore and I either give up or buy the show/movie on Vudu.
Vudu for renting/buying shows and movies.

Everett T

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
OTA and Hulu currently for broadcast/cable, but with Hollywood FN us over it might be OTA only soon, with Prime and one other video subscription to be rotated every three months.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
All streaming. I at times use youtube TV for sports as you can turn it on or off a month at a time. I have Prime video, not much on it really, but it comes with having Prime. Netflix is up and down. Was great until everyone else started their streaming service. Max comes with my internet. Boy did they manage to mangle HBO. I also share Paramount and Apple TV as I wirelessly connect to the internet via someone up the street from me. They wouldn't supply internet down to where I live. So I can share their service as it all has the same IP address. Finally I pay for MotoGP coverage as I like that sport. They are trying to turn it into worthless F1 type racing with the aero, but Moto2 and Moto3 are still good.

Steven Holt

Forum Donor
We just use antennae TV for the broadcast channels, and we have Prime and Netflix for streaming. One thing I always hated about cable channels was that, not only were those channels getting the cable subscription fees, their programming had tons of commercials -- and their content was always getting worse AND the cable company kept raising their prices. (TCM being the notable exception). Believe it or not, when cable first started, those stations had no, or very limited commercials. Now, when u watch an hour show, a full 20 minutes is commercials.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I haven’t hooked up my cable to the TV in years. First off, we don’t watch much classic TV anymore. As backup I use the app the cable provider offers. I’ll switch to fiber soon ( they are only half a year late with delivery), and they also offer an app to stream TV channels. Works well enough.

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
You Tube TV. Cheaper than cable was. Plus NFL Sunday Ticket is way better on YTTV than it ever was on the Directv streaming service.

In years past I turned it off for a couple months after the super bowl and switched to Fubo. Fubo has MSG network which carries the NY Rangers games. But Fubo is so bad (more expensive and dreadful interface) that this season I may not.

Amazon prime is nice to have for other reasons, but their streaming video content increasingly comes with a rental charge. Less and less is just included with prime.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
At the dawn of time when cable TV popped onto the scene the whole marketing spiel was , TV without commercials! Pay a monthly fee and kiss ad's goodbye. See how that worked out. Next up streaming.

Top Bottom