• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Adding speakers to a TV - using TV volume

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi,
I hope you can help explain some real basics for me, I can't seem to get a clear answer.

We have a 55" Panasonic TV (HMDI out, eARC and also Optical as well as RCA). We used to have a basic soundbar (eARC) and that worked fine - sounded bad, but worked well.
We've moved the TV now and have opted not to have the soundbar at all, because it looked 'dirty'. The sound is still bad, and now quieter.

I'd like to add speakers: small, wall mounted, looking 'nice'. Cheapish (£300 GBP, £500 max). This will be 70% for watching TV and 30% music (stereo) if I can add a simple streamer or stream from the TV. We sit about 3m from the TV and would like to get to around 85dB SPL for the loud stuff, mostly we'd want to be able to talk over it easily.
Prefer the idea of active speakers but happy to consider passive with a small amp (can increase the budget for that).
Apparently we don't want a subwoofer :) but that can come later.

It has to be a seamless arrangement though - volume controlled by the TV volume with no apps and other things involved.
I'm happy to use an app or other remote for listening to music myself, as long as the TV experience is simple.
A large AVR box is not an option

I can't tell if this is possible if I just use the Optical out or really just what the options are.

I need to be clear on the set-up and wiring etc before pressing any purchase buttons. Fall-back is just to go with a reasonable soundbar and not to worry (Sonos Beam/Arc)

Thanks for your help

Top Bottom