• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What items have you purchased as a result of ASR?

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not sure a calibration test @ a NIST certified metrology lab would be less than $2K never mind the actual analyzer expense. We can dream...LoL. :D
Yeah, wishful thinking at best. But I do believe if there is a demand for it with the economy of scale, a product at this price point can be made. But we know there is not enough demand for it. So yes, wishful thinking.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I do believe if there is a demand for it with the economy of scale, a product at this price point can be made.
I've thought about that and with the new members of the analyzer owners club buying them there well may be a day that the price comes down with new technology, higher volume sales and more people even knowing that such devices exist and can be purchased by people that can't afford the present prices. I imagine many manufacturers would love to have a analyzer setup and then they could provide screenshots of tests with new gear and with repaired gear too.

thegeton

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Audio-Technica ATH-M50X
Bluesound Node 2i
Buckeye NC252MP 2ch
Buckeye NC502MP 2ch
Buckeye Custom 6ch Amp (2x NC502MP + 1x NC252MP)
Buckeye Purifi 1ET400A 2ch
Cambridge Audio Alva Duo
Emotiva XP-1
KEF R3 Meta
Revel M16
RME ADI-2 DAC FS
Schiit Freya S
Schiit Magnius
Topping D30 Pro
Topping D70
TRUTHEAR Crinacle Zero

Last edited:

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've thought about that and with the new members of the analyzer owners club buying them there well may be a day that the price comes down with new technology, higher volume sales and more people even knowing that such devices exist and can be purchased by people that can't afford the present prices. I imagine many manufacturers would love to have a analyzer setup and then they could provide screenshots of tests with new gear and with repaired gear too.
If they can do pretty good with $600 today, give it few more years I think they can make one maybe 90% of an AP for $2k? I will be sure to buy one if such product comes out, the pleasure of not having to wait for someone or put on the wish list to measure something is worth the price.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If they can do pretty good with $600 today, give it few more years I think they can make one maybe 90% of an AP for $2k? I will be sure to buy one if such product comes out, the pleasure of not having to wait for someone or put on the wish list to measure something is worth the price.
It would be one heck'uva extra club in the golf bag for more applications that's for sure. :D

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Mostly everything I have in my 3rd foray into hifi. I decided I wanted to start from scratch once more but only if can verify I'm not buying useless or bad value stuff. So, I found ASR and with the recommendations here dug nice 20k hole pretty quickly (two setups + headphone stuff). It was a great ride and I'm happy with what I've got.

Paul Ebert

So far:
  • E1DA Cosmos ADC
  • MiniDSP Flex 8
  • Buckeye Custom 6ch Amp (1x NC502MP + 2x NC252MP)
These are the electronics for a complete revamp of my stereo system. The ADC is for digitizing my phono and the other two provide the DSP and multiple channels for the DIY speakers I'll be designing. Down the road, I might pick up a pair of Cosmos APUs to serve as my phono pre-amp and some sort of streaming device, though I also like to DIY, so who knows. I've been very happy with what I've learned here and the gear I've purchased.

melvinjames

Forum Donor
SMSL SU-6
ELAC Debut Reference DBR62

The DAC exceeded my expectations. I previously thought this level of fidelity wasn't possible at this price point. Frankly, I thought y'all were nuts. Been here ever since.

The speakers arrived just over a week ago. This time however I expected them to be excellent and, well, I couldn't be happier.

JaMaSt

Forum Donor
Audio-Technica ATH-M50X
Bluesound Node 2i
Buckeye NC252MP 2ch
Buckeye NC502MP 2ch
Cambridge Audio Alva Duo
Emotiva XP-1
KEF R3 Meta
Revel M16
RME ADI-2 DAC FS
Schiit Freya S
Schiit Magnius
Topping D30 Pro
Topping D70
TRUTHEAR Crinacle Zero
You probably could have saved time by listing what you have not bought! :p

Axo1989

Major Contributor
I don't think I've posted in this thread.

Nothing.

But thanks to some early posts I'll avoid Virgin Airlines.

Otoh if I buy a set of Genelecs for surround sound I'll be sure to at least partially blame/credit ASR.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Audio-Technica ATH-M50X
Bluesound Node 2i
Buckeye NC252MP 2ch
Buckeye NC502MP 2ch
Cambridge Audio Alva Duo
Emotiva XP-1
KEF R3 Meta
Revel M16
RME ADI-2 DAC FS
Schiit Freya S
Schiit Magnius
Topping D30 Pro
Topping D70
TRUTHEAR Crinacle Zero

ASR Sheep spotted!

:D

(I kid, I kid...I bought my Benchmark LA4 partially on ASR's review)

thegeton

Forum Donor
ASR Sheep spotted!

:D

(I kid, I kid...I bought my Benchmark LA4 partially on ASR's review)

I've built or upgraded 4 different actively in-use systems with all that gear!

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
ironically everything i have that is tested i bought before i knew there was a review

and everything i have now i got knowing there's little likelihood of them ever being tested but i got them anyway

i'd put it like this... i have got the Xbox achievement or Sony trophy of buying something from aoshida, hifi-express and shenzenaudio... which I assume is really like sister company affiliiates of all the major brands we all know and love... and loathe

Last edited:

sibi1865

I've completely changed my audio equipment after coming across ASR around two years ago. Some items I've bought pre-review, but all purchases have been based on the knowledge within the reviews and tutorials, and of the community.

mags65

Forum Donor
Hi all,
stumbling across ASR this year has reignited the stereo hobby and set my wallet partly on fire. Some of the purchases based on reading here:

For the living room main setup:
Topping D90LE (replaced Benchmark DAC1)
Topping Pre90 (replaced Parasound P3)

Nord Acoustics Nord One NCx500DM MKII Dual Mono (inbound later this summer, to augment/replace Parasound A21) Not directly based on review, but more generally from learning about Hypex based amps on the forum.

Roon lifetime membership
Mac Mini (2023) 8/256 with 2TB external HDD for local music (to run Roon Core - taking over from iMac (2013))

Thinking about UMIK 1, to use with HouseCurve from ipad/iphone in order to use Roon DSP.

For the fjordside cabin:
Topping E70 (currently running as dac-only in front of Cambridge Azur 540A, will use as dac/pre)

Nord Acoustics Nord Value-Line MP NC252 Stereo Power Amplifier (also inbound, to replace Cambridge)

For a head-fi setup for my son:
Sonos Connect (bought used, to use as Roon endpoint)
Under consideration: Topping DX3 Pro+ (start with a low cost-ish one-box solution)
Under consideration: Sennheiser HD600 (available on 25% sale from local store in Oslo)

Last edited:

Neddy

Recent additions:
Emotiva Trigger Expansion Module (and to get 'free' shipping, also an XLR splitter, why not;) even though I previously purchased the circuit board level ones, now kicking around in my 'unused stuff' drawer. Weirdly they are shipping separately - go figure.
Oh, and the hypex 4 ch amps from Buckeye.

Top Bottom